I'd venture to guess.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post I'd venture to guess....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

That 60% of our loses the past three years have been because of two factors: FTs and 3-point shots missed. All three loses this year can be directly attributed to that.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: I'd venture to guess....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I have to admit, I'm of the same mindset as Tre Nottingham. If we go dancing, we can raise some eyebrows nationally and depending on our seeding and opponent, a second round game is not far fetched.

Quote:
"We've got the pieces, the talent and the coaching staff to get it done," Nottingham said. "I would love to get to the tournament, and I know we can. We'll do a lot of damage when we get there, too."

https://www.ksat.com/sports/instant-rep ... ing-season

Right now they have Georgia State playing Auburn as a 12th seed....we would definitely take down Auburn. 8) 8)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ion-sunday

Another prediction has GAST as a 13th seed playing Virginia Tech, we'd have a good chance against them also.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... ginia-tech

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 pm
SuperCat

Kinda getting ahead of ourselves aren't we? I would love to see us go to the big show, but let's get half way through conf. play and then see where we are in the standings. I know I need to stay positive, so Go Bobcats!

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Kinda getting ahead of ourselves aren't we? I would love to see us go to the big show, but let's get half way through conf. play and then see where we are in the standings. I know I need to stay positive, so Go Bobcats!

Although it is early, some teams are more highly ranked than they should be. VTech at #9 is maybe 4-5 spots higher than they should be, but Auburn at #11 is about 12 spots higher than where their talent really should be.

Right now, the only thing stopping Texas State has been the refs and themselves. In all honesty, this team should be undefeated at this point. Arkansas and Drake were good measuring sticks of how we would stack up in the national conversation and save for missed FTs and horrendous 3-pt shooting, we should not have lost either of those.

GAST game was a weird animal to gauge, but 8 times out 10 we win that game.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:17 am
SuperCat

ok, I can see where some p5 schools could be overrated, yet we get somewhat over looked. If we can climb in the polls some more, maybe we get some more attention from media and student body. Kids are back from break--right? How is the athletic department pumping-up the team/games, or do I want to know? :wink:

Also, agree that team needs to make those fts down the stretch. Living in H-town, I've seen too many games lost at the line by the Rockets of old.

Last edited by BobcatBuddy96 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm
SuperCat

One more thing. I hope this board can stay too. Never hurts to have more choices.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all.

I watch quite a bit of Sun Belt basketball. And I think we're a legitimate top 3 in the league this year right now from what I've seen. And that's a pretty good accomplishment for a team that was picked 8th in the preseason.

But, I think GSU is the clear favorite right now in the league. And by a fairly significant margin. They've been the top program in the conference for years now and I think we're getting closer to getting to their level, but a 4 point HOME loss certainly doesn't help close the gap. Beating them in Atlanta in a few weeks will be a really tough task, but if we can pull that off then maybe a comparison can be made. But until we start beating them (they've beaten us 4 times in a row, twice in San Marcos) they're still the clear favorite.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all.

I watch quite a bit of Sun Belt basketball. And I think we're a legitimate top 3 in the league this year right now from what I've seen. And that's a pretty good accomplishment for a team that was picked 8th in the preseason.

But, I think GSU is the clear favorite right now in the league. And by a fairly significant margin. They've been the top program in the conference for years now and I think we're getting closer to getting to their level, but a 4 point HOME loss certainly doesn't help close the gap. Beating them in Atlanta in a few weeks will be a really tough task, but if we can pull that off then maybe a comparison can be made. But until we start beating them (they've beaten us 4 times in a row, twice in San Marcos) they're still the clear favorite.

We controlled the game the entire first half and into the second half until Pearson was ejected. GAST was getting frustrated and playing dirty with a lot of lean in fouls and the broken nose for Pearson.

I stand by my statement. GAST is a one-man team that relies solely on the 3-ball to win games.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
We controlled the game the entire first half and into the second half until Pearson was ejected.

We were losing 26-24 at halftime and 44-41 when Pearson was ejected.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I stand by my statement. GAST is a one-man team that relies solely on the 3-ball to win games.

Their entire starting 5 are double digit scorers. Devin Mitchell, Malik Benlevi (who torched us inside and out), Jeff Thomas, even that PG Kane Williams (who had 14 against us) is a solid player. If they were a one-man team we would have won, cause Simonds had a poor game offensively against us (just 7 points on 1/9 shooting). Yet, they still won...

And regardless of how they win games, they win a lot of them. And have won 4 straight vs. us.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:

We were losing 26-24 at halftime and 44-41 when Pearson was ejected.

We had a 7 point and an 8 point lead in the first half....GAST was constantly playing catchup. We also took the lead before that 44-41 score and again GAST was playing catchup. There's a huge difference between holding single possession leads and controlling the tempo of a game.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Agree to disagree then. We never "controlled the tempo" of that game in my opinion. An early 8 point lead in the first half means little to me, you see that erased all the time. As you did in that game.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

2 things:

as already noted, they’ve beaten us 4 straight.

until someone knocks them off their perch, they are the team to beat.

I like that we “hung” with them at our place, but bottom line . . We didn’t win. We have some work to do.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm