Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Meet your new coaches! 
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Meet your new coaches!
LSU, see if someone can fark away aggy.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well shit. I didn't even see that.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Well shit. I didn't even see that.

I saw that and glad the logo was erased, but liked the pick. After the 7 OT loss, it's still too soon> (I was brainwashed as a child to watch LSU Football).

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~
#FIRETEIS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am
True Bobcat Fan

As infuriating and heart pounding as that game was it was still pretty damn fun to watch. I'll definitely be at Kyle watching us take them on next year. Hopefully we can at least put up some points.

Got some new koolaide thanks to someone on tigerdroppings.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 am
Junior Bobcat

The Fark Gods did smile! (No maroon Koolaid but I’ll drink it anyway!)

Last edited by SWTrefugee on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/Spavital-working-toward-signing-day-through-first-13458915.php

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Would you mind copying and pasting the article so my cheap ass doesn't have to subscribe to the Spurs propaganda machine?

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@THSCAcoaches

Thanks Coach Spavital for stopping by and speaking to the THSCA Board of Directors!! #eatemupcats @txstatebobcats @jakespavital

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:

Would you mind copying and pasting the article so my cheap ass doesn't have to subscribe to the Spurs propaganda machine?

Spavital working toward signing day through first two weeks as Texas State head coach

Through a whirlwind of activity in two weeks since being named Texas State’s new head football coach, Jake Spavital has focused on early signing day Dec. 19.

Tasks like finding a place to live are handled by his wife, Mehgan, while hebuilds a roster and coaching staff.

“It’s been moving pretty quickly, but I’ve always had a plan in place,” Spavital said Tuesday. “You have to breathe. Just understand you have a lot of things getting thrown at you. Take it a day at a time, and prioritize what you need. And, right now, it’s a focus on getting to signing day.”

So far, Spavital has selected his offensive and defensive coordinators, identified three position coaches, met a chunk of his current players and laid the foundation for his first recruiting class.

He said he’s been able to retain most of Texas State’s previous commits and noted the roster doesn’t project to have any major holes.

He’s been working with offensive coordinator Bob Stitt, defensive coordinator Zac Spavital and the rest of the staff to identify new recruiting targets, but stressed he didn’t want that process to be rushed.

“If there’s a kid that we are fired up for that we had the information on, that there’s been a previous, existing relationship with, then we’ll get all over that one,” Spavital said. “But if we’re just, we need a guy right now, and we don’t have much information on it, I’m telling everybody to pump the brakes a little bit and understand that we can fill the void next semester.”

At his first team meeting, Spavital said he invited Texas State’s players to visit his office for the chance to meet face to face. He said he has been in San Marcos more than he expected the past two weeks, giving him the chance to connect with about 30 or 40 of the players, he said.

Generally, Spavital said he has sensed an eagerness and a closeness with the group, as well as the obvious hesitation at what a new staff might bring.

“I told them, ‘Listen, give me a chance. They called me. Don’t hold it anything personal against me,’” Spavital said. “‘I’m here for you guys. You guys are all my guys now. So we need to move forward and all have the same vision.’”

Spavital also has been grabbing lunches and dinners with Texas State supporters, attending Bobcats basketball games or meeting with the athletics department’s other coaching staffs. He has even carved out time for a few interviews with local media outlets.

“I’m willing to start some excitement and create a spark,” Spavital said. “What I’ve been saying is, ‘I’m hustling right now.’”

Stitt joins the staff after working as a head coach for 15 seasons at the Colorado School of Mines and three years at Montana. Zac Spavital, Jake’s brother, was the co-defensive coordinator at Texas Tech last year. He spent the previous three seasons as Tech’s linebackers coach after seven years as an assistant coach at Houston.

Jake Spavital said he will retain Texas State wide receivers coach Ron Antoine, particularly valuing his recruiting connections in Houston. Clay McGuire will be the Texas State offensive line coach after spending last season as the co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Texas Tech and the previous six years as the offensive line coach at Washington State. Morris Berger is being brought on to coach Texas State’s tight ends after working as an offensive quality control coach at Oklahoma State last season.

He noted that “one of the most important things” during his hiring process was ensuring he would have a larger assistant coaching salary pool. USA Today reported Texas State’s assistant coaching salaries totaled $979,920 in 2018, ranking in the bottom 10 of schools for which the study had data on most of the staff. Spavital said the figure has been substantially increased.

“You’re only as good as the people that you surround yourself with,” Spavital said. “That’s where the salary pool has to come into play, because you have these guys who are wanted coaches. A lot of teams want them, and now I can get them and lock them in, and they can be committed to Texas State.”

Once early signing day has past, Spavital said he can turn his attention to building a firm plan for the spring.

During his introductory news conference at Texas State, he said he was open to the possibility of serving as West Virginia’s offensive coordinator in the team’s bowl game. But on Tuesday, he said he would not be calling the plays as WVU faces Syracuse in the Camping World Bowl on Dec. 28 in Orlando, Fla. He said Mountaineers coach Dana Holgorsen agreed that forgoing the game would be in Spavital’s best interest.

“If it would’ve been in (the Alamo Bowl in) San Antonio, which we thought we were going to be in, that was going to be a no-brainer for me, because it’s right down the street,” Spavital said. “But based off the recruiting weekends and the proximity of Orlando, I couldn’t probably give my best effort.”

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@coachsotopop

Round 3 at THSCA regional director’s meetings starting with Coach Spavital sharing his Texas State Vision, Texas talent driven! @THSCAcoaches @JakeSpavital

Quote:
Coach Soto
@coachsotopop
San Marcos athletic director/head football coach

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thank you tx.state for pasting that story in the comment thread!

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@TXSTATEFOOTBALL
Introducing our new Tight Ends Coach @Coach_Berger! Welcome to San Marcos. #EatEmUpCats

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

@TXSTATEFOOTBALL
Introducing our new Offensive Line Coach @ClayMcGuireTXST! Welcome to San Marcos. #EatEmUpCats

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm
SuperCat

I like the oline hire. In an article I read, Leach was sorry to see him leave after six seasons as his oline coach.

Was a little surprised that Spav wouldn't be calling plays, but as first time HC he might need to focus on that. Wonder if he will coach QB's though.

Stitt is a great hire. Offensive innovator and HC expericence to help Spav out.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Good article on Spavital brothers and the New OC/DC.

Best part for me is reading Zac prefers the 3 down lineman "fronts". So in some way, shape, or form, we'll continue with that and I'm sure some other wrinkles between a hybrid OLB/DE types. Still think its easier for G5 schools to go after tweeners the P5 schools don't take and there are many of them.

HC Spav in a radio interview talked about it a bit saying sometimes we'll take the 6'2 DT/NT where if he was 6'4 or taller, he'd be a P5 caliber player.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next