Game Thread - Vs. Houston Baptist 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Houston Baptist
I think Ron Cottrell is an underrated coach. He brought that program up from NAIA. I know they havent done anything earth shattering since going D1 but if you consider their facilities im surprised they win at all in the Southland.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
54-45 Bobcats at the U12 media timeout.

Sule scoreless so far in the 2nd half. Pearson up to 11.
Nottingham finally hits a 3 after missing 15 straight over the last few games.

DuBose has 18 for HBU to lead all scorers. Need to stop him and force someone else to try and beat us.

True story: you take out all his three point attempts and he is shooting well over 54% from the field. Talk about a guy that doesn't know his own strengths as an athlete. :? :?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

The fact that Nottingham is still shooting 3’s and remains on the court means he has the green light from Kaspar. I’m not happy with his 3 PT % (it’s abysmal @ .254), but obviously the coaching staff feel like he’s in a slump that he can pull out of.

On a positive note, Nottingham assist to turnover ratio is good and he’s playing solid D. He is also tied for 2nd on the team in assists. I’d mention that he’s 2nd on the team points per game, but that’s hard to get out my mouth when he has an overall .333 FG%.

He's far from perfect, but he’s a better 2 guard option than we have had in while in my opinion.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
The fact that Nottingham is still shooting 3’s and remains on the court means he has the green light from Kaspar. I’m not happy with his 3 PT % (it’s abysmal @ .254), but obviously the coaching staff feel like he’s in a slump that he can pull out of.

On a positive note, Nottingham assist to turnover ratio is good and he’s playing solid D. He is also tied for 2nd on the team in assists. I’d mention that he’s 2nd on the team points per game, but that’s hard to get out my mouth when he has an overall .333 FG%.

He's far from perfect, but he’s a better 2 guard option than we have had in while in my opinion.

I think that's more of the reason why he is still starting.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

I think that's more of the reason why he is still starting.

He's starting because he’s one of the few Bobcats that can create his own shot off the dribble and he’s effective defensively. Like you said, he’s shooting .538 on his 2 PT Attempts. As a combo-guard, he gives the Bobcats a secondary ball-handler that can distribute, but make no mistake…he’s a shoot-first guard. He’s the only guy on the team that can consistently grab a defensive rebound and push the ball all the way up the court to the rim (I think Mason can get there one day). To fully realize his potential, he needs that outside shot to drop. If that happens, then teams have to play him close to the line which gives creates more spacing and more opportunity for a PNR drive. Alas, I’m not too keen on his mechanics and don’t see that shot ever dropping consistently…but if he could ever get around that .350 mark, I think that would work. He shot .326 last season.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Alas, I’m not too keen on his mechanics and don’t see that shot ever dropping consistently…but if he could ever get around that .350 mark, I think that would work. He shot .326 last season.

I posted his game log from last season in another thread. Check his shooting % from beyond the arc when we lost 11 of 13 to finish out the season and then to start this season. If he were in a "slump", it would be a 23 game slump by now. He's not a three point shooter and that's why teams late last season and early this season have left him wide open a ton of times in transition.

He is who he is as an athlete: a mid-range shooter than can open up the lane on occasion and is good at finding the open man. Three point shooting at this point should be his absolute last resort, and even then no more than 3-5 shots per game from beyond the arc.

2017:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nottingham

2018:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nottingham

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

He shot 32.6% last year, which is pretty average. But he was also playing out of position last year for half of the year. It hasn't shown this season, but I think he's gonna be a better off-ball shooter compared to last year when he was the primary ball handler for much of the year.

I most definitely think he has just been in a slump to start the season. He hit 2 of 6 Saturday though and hopefully he's getting out of it. Twinky summed it up pretty well up there, but Kaspar isn't the type of coach that would continue to let a poor perimeter shooter shoot so much. Nottingham will work his way out of this slump and will prob finish the season somewhere around 33% from 3 again. Other than this current slump, there's really nothing else ultra negative to point to in his game right now. He's still our 2nd leading scorer. He's shooting OK from inside the arc. He's had some really nice assists the past couple games helping guys like Sule score. He's not a turnover machine and can handle the ball really well for a guy playing predominantly off the ball now. He plays decent defense. He's playing almost exactly twice the minutes per game Gurley is right now and averaging 7.5 more ppg than Gurley. I don't even think benching Nottingham has been a fleeting thought in Kaspar's mind.

And don't start with the Adams to the 2 ideas again...

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXST up to 80th in the NET rankings (was as high as 78th on Sunday).

Receiving 56 votes in the mid-major poll now which essentially has us at 28th. A win Saturday likely gets us in the rankings.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:

And don't start with the Adams to the 2 ideas again...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 pm