It's Actually Worse Than It Looks 
True Bobcat Fan

Post It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
We all know it looks awful right now. Usually, it isn't as bad as it first appears, but that isn't the case with this. It is actually worse than it appears.

Yes, we are getting outmatched all over, except possibly, with our run defense. However, there are two huge issues that haven't been discussed. First, game day coaching. Down 7-0, still very much in the game, Withers decides to put Kessler out there for a 51 yard field goal.

Why is this bad? Many reasons.

1) Kessler wasn't even good enough to beat out Sherman as kicker. Remember, Sherman was so bad last year that Withers did everything possible to run him off of the team, including kicking an outside linebacker in a game last year. If Kessler isn't good enough to beat out that guy, then what does that say about Kessler's ability? Yet Withers put him out there to kick a 51 yard field goal.

2) A true freshman, in his very first kick, is told to go kick a 51 yard field goal? Brilliant idea.

3) Anyone who has watched Kessler's HUDL saw that he doesn't have a strong leg. He is accurate from 35 yards in, but he just doesn't have the ability to kick a 51 yard field goal in game. Kicking on his own, he may be able to get some from that distance, but that's because he can have a low projection kick and drive it without worrying about it being blocked. Even with hurricane winds behind him, he isn't kicking a 51 yarder. You're just asking for it to get blocked and to ruin a true freshman's confidence in his very first kick.

4) You know your offense isn't going to put up 30 points. In that case, play the field position game and hope your defense can give you a shot. Attempting a 51 yard field goal doesn't do that. In fact, it goes entirely against Withers' professed strategy of his program. The chance of making it is slim, which means you're putting your defense out there with bad field position. The chance of it getting blocked is high which was shown.

The unsportsmanlike penalty on Withers is a very bad sign in the first half of the season. What is more disturbing is the culture of the program at this point. This was posted by a player minutes - literally minutes - before the team took the field. You have a player in the locker room with his cell phone taking pictures/video and posting them on social media. The players aren't getting dressed, aren't getting ready to warm up on their own, etc. They are fully dressed, hydrating, and sitting, which means they are just about to take the field.

Last edited by run faster on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
You are correct. Too bad the lemmings on this board don’t get it. Even the captain of the JV team knows you can’t win without an O line.

To your point on the kicker, I might add that we are the type of team that a decent kicker should be attracted. We aren’t gonna get a touchdown. A good kicker would be able to shine if we get close to his range.

Disagree on Vitt (not your statement). Even if he is talented you NEVER throw a freshman behind an inept O line.

But hey, we get to see sideboob aplenty at the tailgate/game next week. And, I don’t think we will beat TX Southern by more than 10 points. And, I hope they don’t bring that damned band. I compare it to a combination of Rev and Saul. Fat and obnoxious.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

IF the game’s as close as you expect, that damn band might be the best thing you see next week.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:01 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I enjoy reading the various threads on this site and vary rarely post but...
In Withers third year, I felt that the team would either a) greatly exceed expectations with five or six wins or b) produce another embarrassing disaster of a season. In other words, we would see one one extreme or another in terms of outcomes. After yesterday, I am a bit mortified that "b" may be the case. Obviously it's way early, but as a long time Bobcat fan, I'm stump broke.

It's so sad that our expectations are so low (mine included); that we consistently, and I mean consistently under perform; that a winning culture and shared vision of success doesn't exist (that has to start at the top, insert AD's name here); that the "front door" to the university remains closed; that the throngs of alum remain apathetic when success in athletics could be a powerful catalyst for engagement; and last but not least, it's just no fun being a fan.

Many G5 coaches have made meaning impacts on programs in one or two years. It is starting to look like that isn't going to be the case with Withers. I desperately want to be wrong but we just don't seem to be gaining the traction we need to compete/win.

It is past time for results. To keep lobbing out Fran's name or what ever was happening three and four years ago is bullshit. Learned bullshit from years of being a Texas State fan but bullshit none the less. Try doing it in any board room in America when discussing lack of results and see how far you get.

All that's left to say is...Well shit! I feel better now. I think.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

we beat tsu by 34 points as a 09' brad wright fcs program if we cant beat them handily in fbs season 7 and we want to keep any remaining dignity at all we might as well show withers the door and put him on whatever work leave osu put meyer on to finish out the season. at least get him off the field and just let him finish out the 2019 recruiting class

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

If this TSU game doesn't end to the tune of 50-7, then I'll be ready to lose hope in Withers

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

So after watching the game again, I've noticed something different from last year. first, we were able to move the ball on Rutgers. Despite the turnovers, not picking up the blitz and the penalties we were able to move the ball. Second, the defense had several stops including 3 and outs and several turnovers (including pick 6). In addition, I didn't get the sense that we were being dominated like in the past with bigger schools. None of this has really happened before in the last two years. It feels like we might be close to turning the corner even though we are still losing. The next 3 games will let us know if we turned the corner. We come out 2-1 then we are on our way and if not then we already know where we're at. :shock:

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not sure we will know if we have turned the corner until after we play GaSouthern Oct 11 on ESPNU. It'll be the next time since Rutgers that we play a top 100 squad. I'm not even saying GaSouthern is decent, all I'm saying is that since their 0-9 start last year including a loss to Costal they've shown some signs of improvement. This game will also tell us if Withers is ready and can handle the pressure of playing a prime time nationally televised game. The only time we ever won a nationally televised game that I can think of was in 2015 to ULM and that was hard to watch and it wasn't even the prime time slot it was the night owl slot.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=326&year=2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry Teis wrote:
If this TSU game doesn't end to the tune of 50-7, then I'll be ready to lose hope in Withers

That’s how it SHOULD play out, but it will be more like a 24-3 game. Gone are the days when we could hang 42+ on lower division schools and give our backups and freshmen playing time. Now we just claw until the end for even and FCS win.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:27 am
True Bobcat Fan

Dirtyseal wrote:
So after watching the game again, I've noticed something different from last year. first, we were able to move the ball on Rutgers.

I stopped reading at this point.

We had 169 fucking yards! That was the lowest in the entire country . . . by 34 yards! Not only did we have the fewest yards in the country, but we were able to earn that by a whopping 20% difference from the next worst team.

The only thing we could move against Rutgers was our bowels, because we were shitting all over that field.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Dirtyseal wrote:
So after watching the game again, I've noticed something different from last year. first, we were able to move the ball on Rutgers. Despite the turnovers, not picking up the blitz and the penalties we were able to move the ball.

I don't think that is accurate. We only had 168 yards of offense, which really says... we did NOT move the ball on them. We had significant trouble running the ball and had issues trying to complete downfield passes.

It all goes back to the O-Line. We need holes to be opened up for the RB's, and to provide SOME time for the QB to look downfield.

Dirtyseal wrote:
It feels like we might be close to turning the corner even though we are still losing. The next 3 games will let us know if we turned the corner. We come out 2-1 then we are on our way and if not then we already know where we're at. :shock:

I don't think this next game will tell us much of anything good. It will either be the same questions or bad news that comes out.

The two games after that? That's gonna be what tells us stuff.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:56 am
SuperCat

I agree that the offense looked bad, but.... at half we had around 160 yards or so. So we were on pace for a little over 300 which isn't great but obviously way better than what we ended up with. Then our offense barely had the ball in the 3rd and then we put in a true freshman QB so we barely had any opportunities to move it the second half.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
[
We had significant trouble running the ball

It all goes back to the O-Line. We need holes to be opened up for the RB's, and to provide SOME time for the QB to look downfield.

Re watching the game the other day the best way to describe a majority of the running game was like literally watching the RB's and WJIII on the QB draws (including the very first play of the game) run into a brick wall.

I mean that Rutgers DLine was in the backfield the moment the runner began moving forward. It was 1 step, 2nd step and then "boom!" They stood no chance as they had no protection from that OLine.

And then when they were able to get a good run in or WJIII completed a positive play through the air it got called back due to a penalty. Lots of holding calls which when watching the replays looked like undersized lineman desperately trying to keep up against a bigger opponent.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatCowboy wrote:
I agree that the offense looked bad, but.... at half we had around 160 yards or so. So we were on pace for a little over 300 which isn't great but obviously way better than what we ended up with. Then our offense barely had the ball in the 3rd and then we put in a true freshman QB so we barely had any opportunities to move it the second half.

We had 117 yards at half which put us on pace for 234 yards for the game, which is atrocious.

I'm not sure how you haven't been able to see the pattern since Kuhr took over the offense. Almost every game, the most productive time for the offense is the first few drives. That is pretty simple - an offense has a week to gameplan and find holes in a defense. They then are able to expose those at the beginning of a game. When the defense identifies what is being done and adjusts, the experience and coaching knowledge is just not there to make the next move for us on offense. It's the same thing almost every single game.

I'm serious - somebody should go and look at the total yards per quarter in every game starting with last season.

Willie was the quarterback for the first five drives of the second half until less than 10 minutes in the game. During those five drives, Texas State managed 1 yard of offense. We "barely had the ball in the third quarter" because we had only had one first down out of four drives in the third quarter. Our lack of offensive production wasn't because our defense was on the field all quarter. It was because our offense couldn't gain a yard. Hell, getting four drives in a quarter is more than average.

Again, Willie and the first team had five drives in the second half. They accumulated 1 yard over those five drives. They had plenty of opportunities to show what they can do until we put the backups in with less than 10 minutes to go in the game.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, shit... I've tried to stay away for a while for my own sanity, but this sucks.

I've been one of the biggest proponents of giving Withers time because I know where he was starting from, but we're in year 3 now and it looks like we have actually regressed. I didn't know it was possible to actually be worse than we were 2 years ago in Withers first year, but it looks like that's the case.

If he doesn't turn this season around quickly, I'll jump on the fire Withers train too... Still not happy about replacing another head coach under Teis, but it will be necessary if we continue down this path.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 pm