Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Football Video Boards 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Football Video Boards
slycat wrote:
Is the admin/site owner just paying the server fee for fun? Seems they would want to move on.

What if this is all funded by.....Larry?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
slycat wrote:
Is the admin/site owner just paying the server fee for fun? Seems they would want to move on.

What if this is all funded by.....Larry?

Outdated forum, no updates, no support. Sounds like all the telltale marking of Teis.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'd like to think Rick put it on autopay and forgot about it like a gym memebrship

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:15 pm
Junior Bobcat

slycat wrote:
I'd like to think Rick put it on autopay and forgot about it like a gym memebrship

Who was leeching off of Brent's autopay that he forgot to turn off.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I keep expecting the site is be shutdown one day and Texas St to not have a board for a while

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

slycat wrote:

History lesson time!!!!

Originally this was a place owned by Brent. Super nice guy, though I heard rumors of some shady stuff. I know he was a HUGE fan of Bailiff though, and so when Bailiff arrived, it gave him some extra insight into the program.

Shortly after this place was founded (I want to say during the Debesse times) another site was created... BobcatSports I think it was called. It was run by Rick, and was a bit more... "militant" in their hatred of all things UT. They had a "forget the saw" tshirt that put an outline of a longhorn inside of crosshairs to illustrate the point.

Anyway, Rick was and is an ambitious sort. Sometime during the Wright era, He and Brent combined the two sites into one, and since BF.com had a stronger presence, they just all came into here.

Sometime in the late Wright era, Brent gave up (or sold, no clue) his stake in BF.com and left... Rick was here, and taking care of things.

Then as the announced transition to FBS was announced, Bobcat Report came about. It was Brent, Jack, and Justin's baby if I recall correctly. Rick stayed on here, and created the magazine SMTX, which is basically where he focuses on it. It is my understanding (cursory though it may be) that he leverages page clicks from the forums to keep visitor numbers high on the magazine website side so that he can charge more for ads. Dunno how accurate that is though.

I offered three times to buy site from him, or even just be the admin of the site for updates (me being admin would mean me most likely begging someone who knows anything about forums to be admin as well to do it), but never heard a response.

So That is my understanding of why this place is still around, and why the admin is never to be seen. I have no doubt that if any of this is even slightly incorrect, I will be reprimanded for a shoddy memory.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
It is my understanding (cursory though it may be) that he leverages page clicks from the forums to keep visitor numbers high on the magazine website side so that he can charge more for ads.

i had thought that as well, but the last post on the mag side was a year ago: http://smtxnews.com/ (that's the mag side, yes?)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That is my understanding of the magazine. And I wonder if they still print them, or if he surrendered that too, and we are REALLY on borrowed time here?!?!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Eh... Oh well. Not like anyone remembers me anyway, haven't posted under jecbobcat in about 5 years or so, mostly just come on to read. Ever since I stopped working for Reslife and got out of getting info from the athletes I haven't been much use anyway.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i see updates on the facebook page every now and then, but never anything about an actual magazine.

www.facebook.com/BobcatFans

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Maybe... Rick had to leave the country under an assumed identity and that's why there hasn't been much activity....

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If you're looking for him, he is on the Kyle Planning & Zoning Commission.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I always figured his refusal to reply to my e-mails or facebook messenger requests meant he had no interest in selling it.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don’t know Rick all that well, but from my limited dealings with him, I think he would rather pass the torch than let it go out.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
.... we are REALLY on borrowed time here?!?!

This brings up an interesting point. If this site were to go down permanently, where would everyone go to talk about all things :texasstate:
:flag:
What forum alternatives are available? Where should folks migrate too?

Folks, we need to prepare for the emergency, before the emergency happens! :lol: :eatemup:

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next