Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2018 Recruiting/Transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018 Recruiting/Transfers
Looks like another combo guard like Nottingham to me, leaning more towards a shooting guard. He seems to be our Tyler Blount replacement.

In regards to the 3, I think your players there will be Pearson with Adams as the primary backup, and JUCO transfer Akiem Daschner may play there as well.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

Gooding expected to redshirt in 2018-2019.

Kaspar usually redshirts big men and not guards. I'm interested to see how much playing time Marlon Cunningham gets his freshman year. He's the usual type of player Kaspar likes to redshirt and develop for a year (ie. Alonzo Sule this year, Eric Terry last year)

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

In regards to Gooding, Jr....Keep in mind all we are seeing is the good stuff on his mix tape, but just going by his highlights, I like the fact that Gooding looks very comfortable in transition. He shoots well off the dribble which is a BIG plus for the Bobcats…we don’t have many players that shoot well off the dribble. Gooding has an excellent release on his jumper. That quick release combined with the elevation on his jump shot should make his attempts harder to contest despite his size limitations. There’s only a few examples of him hitting set shots so that may be a struggle for him, but with a 73% Free Throw percentage, I would guess it’s not an issue. I’d be interested in seeing more of his ball handling. This is just highlights, but it does look like he can get out of control. With a 3.82 GPA though, I’m betting whatever warts he has are coachable.

Key notes that stand out to me:
3.82 GPA
38 inch vertical
52% FG
73% FT

From Gooding, Jr:
“I'm here for the challenge, I am a reliable player will stay on task and keep my grades up in the classroom. I like to get better and work on my craft. It is hard to keep me out of the gym, but win or lose my heart will be left out on the court every game. Basketball is my true love, and I am very passionate about it.
I have always loved basketball, after losing my father and my grandfather it has become my safe haven. Playing with Harker Heights has made me grow drastically, from being one of the top ranked teams to almost unknown showed me that now it’s the time for me to step up, starting my junior season, I was one of few letters to return, leading younger guys was like a dream come true, some were even older. Being the leader of this team has showed me what being a team is really about, and what sacrifice can really do for another.
I know that on anyone’s college team, i will work day in, and day out. Whatever the team needs is what I will bring to the table.”

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/texas/harker-heights/harker-heights-high-school1/dillon-gooding

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... ds-tx-2018

https://twitter.com/nathanmcclure98/sta ... 2559864832

New commit? 6'3 G from the woodlands. I'm assuming this is a PWO. I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: Actually I'm thinking Marlon Cunningham is gone. https://txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx? ... t=position

He's not on the roster.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Noticed Cunningham not on the roster also, was just hoping he hadn't made it to campus yet from Albuquerque. Maybe he's not set to arrive until the fall semester?

I've seen a few things that point towards McClure being a grayshirt that will count towards the 2019 class. If that's the case then I'm not too worried about Cunningham yet. Not sure what could have happened between when he signed a month and a half ago to now. Again, I'm just hoping he hasn't made it to campus just yet.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXST release on the signing of McClure does say he's a 2018-2019 signee and also only mentions Harrell and Daschner as the other signees of this class.

You may be right, Cunningham may be gone.

https://txstatebobcats.com/news/2018/7/11/mens-basketball-kaspar-adds-mcclure-for-2018-19.aspx

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Always sucks to lose a big, but not sweating it too much since Scott/Daschner Can potentially play at the 5.. hoping McClure can play. So many lost causes from Kaspar’s classes.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

Cunningham has signed with D2 New Mexico Highlands.

This is just a guess, but I bet it was a grades issue.

Looks like the 2018-2019 roster is set.

My early crack at a depth chart:

1:
Marlin Davis
Jaylen Shead (Shead may be able to win the starting job from what I have heard)
Mason Harrell

2:
Tre Nottingham (I think with Davis healthy and Shead available, Nottingham moves to the 2)
Isaiah Gurley
Shelby Adams

3:
Nijal Pearson
Shelby Adams
Akiem Daschner

4:
Alex Peacock
Akiem Daschner
Quentin Scott

5:
Eric Terry
Alonzo Sule

Deeper reserves:
Dillon Gooding (expected to redshirt)
Nathan McClure
Could possibly have room for another walk-on

Losing Cunningham takes some of the shine off the 2018 recruiting class. It doesn't appear like an ultra strong class to me (Harrell, Daschner, Gooding, McClure). We've been sending out a bunch of 2019 offers in the past week or so. Need a strong 2019 class.

That being said, I think we're in pretty good shape heading into the season pretty much across the board.
Should be stronger at the point with Shead now available and Davis back and healthy. Harrell provides quality depth. We should be more talented and deeper at the point than last year.
Nottingham should be more effective at shooting guard I think and Gurley was battling an injury all season last year. Lost Blount, but as long as we get someone to step up and be a 3-point threat he's easily replaceable.
Pearson is now an upperclassman after starting for 2 straight years. Adams can hopefully provide better depth than Duncan did last year.
Peacock returns at the 4. Losing Prijovic sucks though.
Terry will take over for King at C. I think Terry is the more athletic of the two, but King just had more experience and played a little smarter. Terry is a junior now, just needs to play like an upperclassman instead of a first year guy this year and I think his ceiling is much higher than King's was. Sule comes off a redshirt year and we'll see what he has. Losing Cunningham is probably going to force Sule into a lot of minutes. I'm not sure we have a 3rd option at C though.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Good breakdown, X. I also believe Nottingham makes sense as the starter at the 2. I look forward to him bringing some aggressiveness to the 1st unit. Having another ball handler next to him will relieve a lot of pressure and allow him to do what he does best. I hope Davis brings some offense this year. I like Harrell a lot, but I think he’s going to have to do some serious weight room work. I’m excited to see what he can do.

I'd really like to see either Adams or Gurley make a big jump this year and become the X factor off the bench to provide some energy and a scoring punch to the 2nd unit.

I think one of the big questions for this season is can Pearson take another step forward? He progressed a lot during his freshmen year but seemed to stall a bit in his sophomore year when he was asked to do a bit more.

We are thin at center. I wasn't a fan of what I saw of Cunningham but we could have used him for depth for sure. Maybe Scott can provide some help here.

Terry and King are two different types of post players. King was much better at boxing out and being in good defensive position in the post. Terry is more of a finesse guy that has some solid post moves. Terry is also a fairly decent weak-side shot blocker. He will need to improve his post defense this year for us to be successful. I agree that Terry has a higher ceiling…and I was big fan of King because he’s that guy that does all the unheralded dirty work.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:

Terry and King are two different types of post players. King was much better at boxing out and being in good defensive position in the post. Terry is more of a finesse guy that has some solid post moves. Terry is also a fairly decent weak-side shot blocker. He will need to improve his post defense this year for us to be successful. I agree that Terry has a higher ceiling…and I was big fan of King because he’s that guy that does all the unheralded dirty work.

Well said.

King was the better defender and rebounder last year which is what kept him entrenched as the starter all year. I feel Terry's offensive upside is much higher than King's ever was though. Terry just seems like the far more natural scorer.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Terry just seems like the far more natural scorer.

Absolutely. Terry has some pretty good low post moves and can put up points quick. If he developed a mid-range, he could be deadly. I know Kaspar will have ready defensively.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7554

New addition to the roster: 6'8 Chandler Davis. Played at Snead State CC in Alabama. Originally committed to FAU before having to go to Snead.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/di ... rdavislp7n
http://www.snead.edu/athletics/sports/m ... spx?id=611
https://www.fieldlevel.com/app/commitme ... ketballmen

Not an ideal recruit.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

Possibly just a walk-on.

Replacement for the loss of Cunningham.

I think we should improve this season over last, but I'm not impressed with the 2018 class at all. Won't know for sure until these guys start playing, hopefully I'm wrong.

Really important we sign a better 2019 class.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

He's nothing to Snead about. Get it?! Cause he's from Snead and when you say, "he's nothing to sneeze about" but this time I substituted.......never mind.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:08 pm
SuperCat

Just curious, are both Gooding and Davis walk-ons? They both can’t be on scholarship because that puts them at 14. The only official word was Harrell, Daschner and McClure from the Texas State press release that I can find.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next