Interesting read - cost of recruiting athletes has doubled.. 
Junior Bobcat

Post Interesting read - cost of recruiting athletes has doubled..
This Algoe guy said more in this one article than Teis has said in the last decade - let’s promote Algoe and kick Teis to the curb !! Algoe can exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide which is something Larry boy can’t do...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texast ... -fees/amp/

Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Interesting read - cost of recruiting athletes has doubl
some deceptive/incomplete statements in that article.
Quote:
$117,745.04 to lodge and feed potential football recruits for a week, and $20,483.50 on a January dinner

no recruit is staying on their ov for a week. on the big ov weekend, there may have been 20 recruits (and their families) overlapping their visits that spanned a total of a week, but an ov can only be for like 3 days/2 nights, iirc. and that $20k dinner is a huge event w/ all of the recruits, their families, coaches, players. If that's 100 people, then $200/per isn't some crazy number. I would bet that $7200 catered breakfast is from a big ov weekend as well. tech's location pretty much demands that they use chartered flights, so unless that $43k was on 1 flight, it's probably not a bad deal either.

regardless of context in the numbers quoted, the important takeaway from that article is the dead horse i've been beating for years: revenue vs subsidy
that's where the athletic director makes such a huge difference, and why 72% of our athletics budget comes from student fees (some comes from the school, but 3/4 of the subsidy is student fees iirc).

Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 am
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
some deceptive/incomplete statements in that article.
Quote:
$117,745.04 to lodge and feed potential football recruits for a week, and $20,483.50 on a January dinner

no recruit is staying on their ov for a week. on the big ov weekend, there may have been 20 recruits (and their families) overlapping their visits that spanned a total of a week, but an ov can only be for like 3 days/2 nights, iirc. and that $20k dinner is a huge event w/ all of the recruits, their families, coaches, players. If that's 100 people, then $200/per isn't some crazy number. I would bet that $7200 catered breakfast is from a big ov weekend as well. tech's location pretty much demands that they use chartered flights, so unless that $43k was on 1 flight, it's probably not a bad deal either.

regardless of context in the numbers quoted, the important takeaway from that article is the dead horse i've been beating for years: revenue vs subsidy
that's where the athletic director makes such a huge difference, and why 72% of our athletics budget comes from student fees (some comes from the school, but 3/4 of the subsidy is student fees iirc).

Translation- fuck you Larry !!

Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am
SuperCat

13.6.7.7 Meals on Official Visit.
The cost of actual meals, not to exceed three per day, on the official visit for a prospective student-athlete and up to four family members accompanying the prospective student-athlete need not be included in the $40-per-day entertainment expense. Meals must be comparable to those provided to student-athletes during the academic year. A reasonable snack (e.g., pizza, hamburger) may be provided in addition to the three meals.

So, obviously, the theoretical $200/per dinner is not allowable.

Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

allowable isn't really a thing, since the ncaa isn't in the business of actually enforcing rules. every single program, including us, provide better food for our recruits on their official visit than they do student athletes during the season. they aren't handing over a meal card and sending them to jones for grub. although, that would help explain our lack of success on the recruiting trail...

Tue May 01, 2018 3:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i do wonder how far back those numbers go though... i know mack brown liked to have all his guys committed early and their official visit would be to the football awards banquet (which was held in january). that's several hundred people - the entire team and their families, entire staff and their families, guests of the program, etc. i could see that number ending up in a spreadsheet as a total without someone doing the math to only account for the recruits. banquet for 400 drops the avg to $50, 500 to $40.

Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Man, things sure have changed since my recruiting trips back in the 60's. :-)

Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
allowable isn't really a thing, since the ncaa isn't in the business of actually enforcing rules. every single program, including us, provide better food for our recruits on their official visit than they do student athletes during the season. they aren't handing over a meal card and sending them to jones for grub. although, that would help explain our lack of success on the recruiting trail...

Man... Sending recruits to Jones for some grub while classes are in session could definitely help us to recruit.

They could see the other... Natural beauty that we have on campus and I ain't talking about the river.

Tue May 01, 2018 4:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Ultimately this is why I keep writing checks and buying season tickets. As much as I hate Larry and don’t want to support him, we need donors to help balance out our “fee funded” athletic department.

Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:
13.6.7.7 Meals on Official Visit.
Meals must be comparable to those provided to student-athletes during the academic year.

timely recruiting update out of college station:
Quote:
This past weekend, Texas A&M hosted only one official visitor - Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks. Because he was the only one on campus, the 6-foot, 170-pound defender was able to spend a lot of time with the Aggie coaches.

"Everywhere I went, Jimbo Fisher was there," Banks said of the A&M head coach. "That was really cool. We got a lot of attention since there weren't any other visitors. They really let me know that they wanted me. It was Coach Fisher, Coach (Mike) Elko and Coach Mo (Maurice Linguist) pretty much everywhere we went. I had all of their attention."

Banks was excited about the food heading into the trip and he said it did not disappoint.

"Oh my goodness, the food was incredible," he said. "We had food like everywhere we turned. We had lobster, blue crab and a whole bunch of other really good food. I've never eaten so well."

One meal in particular, though, was the highlight of the trip for Banks.

"The best part of the trip, we had gone up to a private area by Kyle Field and they had a private crawfish boil set up for us," he said. "They knew my mom loves crawfish so they had surprised us with that. I'm guessing it was coach Elko's idea. It was really cool that they did that special just for her."

Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Boko Part Deux wrote:
This Algoe guy said more in this one article than Teis has said in the last decade - let’s promote Algoe and kick Teis to the curb !!

Algoe's title is Vice President of Finance. Teis's title is Director of Athletics. I think Algoe already outranks Teis. In the corporate world, VP's outrank Directors. I'm not sure about education.

FWIW, Teis is the 4th highest paid person at TXST (behind Withers, Trauth, and Bourgeois) and Algoe is the 5th highest paid.

https://salaries.texastribune.org/texas-state-university/

Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul, are you trying to say that all the student athletes at A&M don't eat lobster every week???

Tue May 01, 2018 11:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

looking 1 month out, the cheapest room you can book for 2 adults at the austin four seasons runs $488-575 (depending on view, apparently). my bet is 2 rooms per family.

from a longhorn recruiting update posted this morning:
Quote:
We ate a lot of food the entire weekend. They had us in the Four Seasons Hotel with all of the other visiting families which included a social suite for us all to hang out and visit.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am