Texas State Football 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Texas State Football
Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Because there has been a lot of success, numerous conference championships in every conference we've played, even FBS, (football, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, track)

bullshit. there's been sporadic success, nothing that could remotely be considered a "lot". numerous implies that we've won more than lost and that's absolutely not the case.

feel free to dispute that w/ some actual facts and list out the number of conference titles in the past 20 years for each sport. you can even go the weak way and list regular season titles. without even looking, volleyball is the only one you'll have any kind of argument for.

Well.... TXST best sport in the last few years has been LAX.

Then I started to think, that the LAX program gets the least amount of support from the school AD.... maybe there's a correlation???

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

club sport, not varsity, so no association with the athletic department at all.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
club sport, not varsity, so no association with the athletic department at all.

Exactly my point!

If you remember Coach Brand, he made quite an impact on my son who was in HS at the time they met. He was a great Ambassador for the sport and for TXST LAX.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Because there has been a lot of success, numerous conference championships in every conference we've played, even FBS, (football, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, track) and our facilities are exponentially better. Is he an "A"? Not by a long shot. But he is also not an "F".

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
tx.state wrote:
I don't care who you are, what conference you play in, or who your coach is - 4 winning seasons in 11 years is not success. Only one of those conference championships was legitimate. One conference championship in 11 years is not success.

Under Larry's rule, we're 67-73 (.479). Prior to Withers, Larry's record was 65-66 (.496). Either way that is not success.

What have been our records in baseball, softball, track, volleyball, soccer?

Granted football and basketball have been in the doldrums, but do you realize how hard it is for schools our size/pedigree to recruit offensive/defensive linemen in football, power forwards and centers in basketball, etc etc. Most of the "quality" recruits in those positions end up in P5 conferences or basketball powerhouses.

It's no surprise when we develop a Jeff Foster or stumble upon a Fred Evans/David Mayo we encounter success, but otherwise you have to work with what you recruit (i.e. coaching). Blaming the Athletic Director for disadvantaged recruiting and subpar coaching at key areas is a fallacy.

I did the the heavy lifting because I want you to tell me what you consider "a lot of success" and "numerous conference championships."

Through the results of the games yesterday - I pulled every sport with data available since the time that Larry Teis became our AD. He was hired in May 2004 so I started with 2004 results for fall sports (vball, fball, bball, soccer) and 2005 results for spring sports (baseball, softball). Here are the results:

Football
72-79 (.477)
2 conference championships (2005*, 2008**)
2 FCS playoff appearances (2005, 2008) [2005 lost semi-finals, 2008 lost in first round]
2 bowl eligible seasons (2013, 2014)
0 bowl games
0 bowl wins

*co-champions with Nichols
**Central Arkansas actually won conference but was disqualified by NCAA

Volleyball (by far the most successful sport)
247-157 (.611)
2 regular season conf championships (2008, 2011)
5 conference tournament championships (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013)
5 NCAA tournament appearances (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013) [all first round exits]

Women's Soccer
126-102-16 (.588)
2 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009)
3 NCAA tournament appearances (2008, 2009) [all first round exits]

Men's Basketball
143-218 (.396)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Women's Basketball
170-188 (.475)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Baseball (nice 3-year run)
394-309-1 (.561)
3 regular season conference championships (2009, 2010, 2011)
2 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011)
2 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011) [all first round exits]

Softball
342-269 (.560)
4 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012)
3 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011, 2012)
3 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011, 2012) [all first round exits]

Women's Tennis
No conference championships since 1989

Other than the 2005 football season, we haven't made it to the 2nd round in any NCAA tournament in Larry Teis's 13.5 years as our AD.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

In regard to the comment about our facilities:

There has been a facilities boom in NCAA athletics in the past 20-25 years in almost every sport at almost every school...even schools that are not growing in enrollment in cities that aren't growing in population.

I would almost argue that we haven't even kept pace with what would be expected by a school growing as much as we have in a city that is growing as much and as fast as San Marcos has in an area between two metropolitan areas that have added over a million people.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
That's FOUR winning seasons, two conference championship and two bowl eligible seasons in the past 11 years. All under Teis. So to pretend like we haven't had coaches that found success and then give Withers an out for not performing because "Teis is the issue".....I'm sorry, but history says that is a straight up lie.

Only at Texas State is having four winning seasons out of 11 considered success! We set the bar so damned low.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Granted football and basketball have been in the doldrums, but do you realize how hard it is for schools our size/pedigree to recruit offensive/defensive linemen in football, power forwards and centers in basketball, etc etc. Most of the "quality" recruits in those positions end up in P5 conferences or basketball powerhouses.

It's a good thing we don't play multiple P5's every year, otherwise we'd need P5 level DT's.

Your argument is flawed fundamentally as I can point to a school like... Arkansas State, the Ragin Cajuns, Georgia Southern, or Appalachian State, as they have all excelled despite not being P5 powers and getting P5 players.

If we were in the Big XII and getting curb stomped every year, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, we aren't getting the P5 talent needed to compete. Given that we play in the bottom third of NCAA conferences, your argument is 100% invalid.

Lastly, I don't know how anyone can objectively look at our overall athletic performance on the field and say it is anything other than absolute failure. Basketball has been a joke for what... a decade? Football had a year or two of success, followed by a handful of average seasons, and a few years of absolute trash. Baseball? Not sure on that one, but last I checked we seemed to be declining as well.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Another shitty year where tensions are high and morale low. Man, reading this thread makes me want to crawl under a rock or walk away from Texas State football. I should just just focus on politics. :shock: Oh wait, fuck....((((gasp)))..scratch that....my life sucks. :roll:

:lol: Thank God for family and career.

But wait! What's the famous Bobcat mantra? "Wait 'til next year! We'll have a plan then for sure" Amirite?

I still believe in Withers. I'm not ready to naysay or point fingers. He needs a chance to build this program. As we head into the holiday season, I'm wishing my fellow Bobcats the best. :sign:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

It's a good thing we don't play multiple P5's every year, otherwise we'd need P5 level DT's.

Your argument is flawed fundamentally as I can point to a school like... Arkansas State, the Ragin Cajuns, Georgia Southern, or Appalachian State, as they have all excelled despite not being P5 powers and getting P5 players.

If we were in the Big XII and getting curb stomped every year, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, we aren't getting the P5 talent needed to compete. Given that we play in the bottom third of NCAA conferences, your argument is 100% invalid.

Lastly, I don't know how anyone can objectively look at our overall athletic performance on the field and say it is anything other than absolute failure. Basketball has been a joke for what... a decade? Football had a year or two of success, followed by a handful of average seasons, and a few years of absolute trash. Baseball? Not sure on that one, but last I checked we seemed to be declining as well.

Are you kidding there or did you not do any homework? Every school you mentioned has had defensive line talent and coaching comparable to bigger schools. That's why Jones has been running for his life in previous years against those guys.

When you look at this list, a lot of Dline talent is represented at the next level:

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2015/ ... 55231.aspx

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

You said this:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

To which Rev responded that other schools our size/pedigree (Arkansas State, the Ragin Cajuns, Georgia Southern, or Appalachian State) have not problem recruiting offensive/defensive lineman. What about this exchange do you not get, Taxman?

Also, I'm waiting for you to tell me what you consider "a lot of success" and "numerous conference championships" under Larry Teis.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 am
True Bobcat Fan

Baseball is declining, I'm not sure it can get much worse. I am sure Harrington will do his best to have another awful season this year.

It almost seems like Larry went to Harrington after 2011 and said, "Listen coach, we have had success for 3 years in a row, slow it down. You could get hired by another school or we could have attendance issues and I would have to figure out how to increase seating." It's just easier if you lose, our jobs are safe."

Larry sucks.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:47 pm
SuperCat

How does Larry keep his job? Is he that close to the big money people?

As for conferences, who pays out the most money to their members? While the belt is the better football conference this year, I think among all the mens sports that C-USA is better. Not sure about the women's side of things.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Does anyone read the shit I post? Guys, it's not 2005 anymore. Get off the CUSA bandwagon. The last round of realignment ruined that conference.

In 2013/2014 they lost Central Florida, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa. They turned around and replaced those 7 teams with FAU, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Charlotte, UNT, Old Dominion, utsa, and WKU. They added 3 decent programs and 6 shitty ones.

Any CFP payout they get has to be split up 13 ways (back to 14 next year with UAB) compared to just 10 for the Sun Belt once Idaho and NMST are gone. Sun Belt member teams will get higher payouts with the current structure. The CUSA TV deal was just restructured and TV payouts are now a fraction of what they were with the previous membership they had. The Sun Belt has won 42.5% of it's non-conference games, CUSA has won 40%. There have been 3 head-to-head matchups between the conferences and the Sun Belt is 2-1.

As for other sports:
In basketball, Warren Nolan's RPI figures had the Sun Belt as the 17th ranked conference last year, compared to 21st for CUSA.
Sagarin ratings had the Sun Belt at 20th and CUSA at 21st.

In baseball, the defending national champs are Sun Belt members. Two Sun Belt teams finished last year in the top 20 (CCU at 1 and ULL at 19th).

Trust me, I get where the idea comes from that CUSA is so much better than the Sun Belt. 10 years ago, CUSA was not just better, but significantly better. This perception exists for a reason. But you guys need to get it out of your heads. These conferences are extremely similar to one another at this point. The big difference is the Sun Belt has gotten significantly better over the past 5 years while CUSA has gotten significantly worse. I'll take the upward trajectory of the Sun Belt over the decline of CUSA right now and be content with it for the time being.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Conference USA and the MAC are serving the same thing the Sun Belt is:

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Colt Golden wrote:
How does Larry keep his job? Is he that close to the big money people?

As for conferences, who pays out the most money to their members? While the belt is the better football conference this year, I think among all the mens sports that C-USA is better. Not sure about the women's side of things.

I don't believe that Larry's the issue anymore. I think that Trauth just keeps him around as a catch all and so he's valued. This needs to be the message. Once she starts feeling the heat, things will start changing. Can't let Larry be the one who takes the blame anymore if we want things to get any better.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:43 pm