Texas State Football 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Texas State Football
I have watched this season with disappointment. I have been around San Marcos since 2002 and to see UTSA pass this program is an embarrassment. I have seen the ineptitude of the Matsakis era to Wright to Fran and it seems to be one mistake after another.
When Bailiff was here at least the program looked like it was trending up and to let him go for reasons only known to the AD and JCK just leaves one guessing. The Wright hiring as well as Fran was not the best for a program trying to put itself back on the map.
When I had my conversations last year with those I made it very clear what I thought was needed to turn the program around. What I did not expect to hear was how bad and the lack of talent is on campus. I would have been pleased if a statement from the beginning of the season and say it's a rebuilding year and we are going to work on getting better each week. Then , I am good with this year.
I can tell you what I am not good with is kicking folks off the team for not adhering to team values and bringing in folks from other programs who may have broken rules form other schools.
I hope that Withers is able to turn the program around but in the last 14 years of Texas State , I have seen only a blip of fielding and establishing a program that everyone associated with Texas State could be proud of.
The last two years I heard from many players that they wished they had not ever come to Texas State because of the type of program that it was .
I don't know what can be done to fix whatever ails the program in San Marcos but when you have a program 45 minutes south of you who had just as bad a year as we did and are on the verge of becoming bowl eligible in their coach's first year with the previous coach's kids , it makes you wonder how come that can not be the case in San Marcos?
If things do not change UIW may pass Texas State up also. I have watched them play this year and they play hard and they are a new program also.
The question is will this new regime bring success to Texas State or will it be the same old same old? If its something new stop telling everyone there is a lack of talent because everyone knows. The question is what is going to get done to put butts in the seats?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:25 am
SuperCat

Post Re: Texas State Football
It's almost as if we have a terrible AD and a University President that doesn't care enough about the program to put any thought or effort into it...

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

jimbobway wrote:
It's almost as if we have a terrible AD and a University President that doesn't care enough about the program to put any thought or effort into it...

:shock:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

jimbobway wrote:

You are correct Sir. Dr. Trauth doesn't care about athletics so she put an ass clown in charge of the Athletic Department who is not qualified to run a FBS program. Mismanagement has been a horrible problem at SWT/TXST since the early 1980's (maybe even before then). Dr. Trauth is allegedly fixing the academic side of things. We need someone who can fix the Athletic Department. Other than Coach Wacker and to a lesser extent, Coach Baliff, we have not had a decent football coach since 1980. The other sports have been dumpster fires as well and it all starts at the top, FIRE TEIS.

Jury is still out on Withers. Withers is like Trump. Like it or not, we are stuck with him so let's hope he can create something good.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 am
SuperCat

I have always been a fan of Dr. Trauth on the academic side of the house. A big fan, in fact. But the absolute embarrassments that our flagship sports programs put out every year are hard to overlook.

Except the Strutters, I have no problems there.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

Let's put things in perspective here. Withers walked into a very bad situation which got worse. Our talent was limited at best and those player quit on the previous coaching staff sometime during the 2015 season. So yes we had some rotted wood in our foundation that needed to be removed and replaced. However, I'm VERY disappointed about this season but hopeful that Withers will figure out the puzzle...F#@% utsa!! :shock:

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

I agree that Withers inherited one hell of a mess. I was extremely excited after the Ohio win but after the expected ass kickings from Arkansas and Houston, there hasn't been much to be excited about. I am hoping for the best (as I have been for the past 30+ years) but Withers is pretty much on his own because his boss is less than useless. Can a football coach build a winner starting a rock bottom without competent leadership in the Athletic Department? Only time will tell.

FYI, in the CBS Sports rankings, we are ranked 126 out of 128. Only Buffalo and Kansas are below us, probably because they both lost to Ohio.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWT84 wrote:
I agree that Withers inherited one hell of a mess. I was extremely excited after the Ohio win but after the expected ass kickings from Arkansas and Houston, there hasn't been much to be excited about. I am hoping for the best (as I have been for the past 30+ years) but Withers is pretty much on his own because his boss is less than useless. Can a football coach build a winner starting a rock bottom without competent leadership in the Athletic Department? Only time will tell.

FYI, in the CBS Sports rankings, we are ranked 126 out of 128. Only Buffalo and Kansas are below us, probably because they both lost to Ohio.

Ok, at some point you have to hold coaches accountable and not pretend like Larry Teis is the end all be all and take out frustrations on him.

Everyone sang the praises of Bailiff, who was 11-3 and a conference championship. (sandwiched between two 5-6 seasons)

Wright had back to back winning seasons at 8-4 and 7-5 and a conference championship. (Sandwiched between two 4-8 seasons)

Franchione was 6-6, 6-6 and 7-5 and bowl eligible two years in a row. (Sandwiched between a 4-8 and a 3-9 season)

That's FOUR winning seasons, two conference championship and two bowl eligible seasons in the past 11 years. All under Teis. So to pretend like we haven't had coaches that found success and then give Withers an out for not performing because "Teis is the issue".....I'm sorry, but history says that is a straight up lie.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't care who you are, what conference you play in, or who your coach is - 4 winning seasons in 11 years is not success. Only one of those conference championships was legitimate. One conference championship in 11 years is not success.

Under Larry's rule, we're 67-73 (.479). Prior to Withers, Larry's record was 65-66 (.496). Either way that is not success.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I never said that the previous coaches weren't a problem. Baliff was ok but he had some really good assistant coaches to prop him up. However, Write and Fran absolutely sucked, and they were Teis hires. 4 winning seasons in 11 years, with 2 of those only being 7-5, is not good. Withers inherited a mess and made it worse. Did he have to make it worse before it can get better? Probably so. At the moment, Withers gets a grade of Incomplete with a strong expectation of better things next year. Considering the performance of all sports, I don't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can give Teis a grade of anything other than an "F".

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWT84 wrote:
I never said that the previous coaches weren't a problem. Baliff was ok but he had some really good assistant coaches to prop him up. However, Write and Fran absolutely sucked, and they were Teis hires. 4 winning seasons in 11 years, with 2 of those only being 7-5, is not good. Withers inherited a mess and made it worse. Did he have to make it worse before it can get better? Probably so. At the moment, Withers gets a grade of Incomplete with a strong expectation of better things next year. Considering the performance of all sports, I don't see how anyone with an ounce of common sense can give Teis a grade of anything other than an "F".

Because there has been a lot of success, numerous conference championships in every conference we've played, even FBS, (football, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, track) and our facilities are exponentially better. Is he an "A"? Not by a long shot. But he is also not an "F".

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tx.state wrote:
I don't care who you are, what conference you play in, or who your coach is - 4 winning seasons in 11 years is not success. Only one of those conference championships was legitimate. One conference championship in 11 years is not success.

Under Larry's rule, we're 67-73 (.479). Prior to Withers, Larry's record was 65-66 (.496). Either way that is not success.

What have been our records in baseball, softball, track, volleyball, soccer?

Granted football and basketball have been in the doldrums, but do you realize how hard it is for schools our size/pedigree to recruit offensive/defensive linemen in football, power forwards and centers in basketball, etc etc. Most of the "quality" recruits in those positions end up in P5 conferences or basketball powerhouses.

It's no surprise when we develop a Jeff Foster or stumble upon a Fred Evans/David Mayo we encounter success, but otherwise you have to work with what you recruit (i.e. coaching). Blaming the Athletic Director for disadvantaged recruiting and subpar coaching at key areas is a fallacy.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
tx.state wrote:

What have been our records in baseball, softball, track, volleyball, soccer?

Granted football and basketball have been in the doldrums, but do you realize how hard it is for schools our size/pedigree to recruit offensive/defensive linemen in football, power forwards and centers in basketball, etc etc. Most of the "quality" recruits in those positions end up in P5 conferences or basketball powerhouses.

It's no surprise when we develop a Jeff Foster or stumble upon a Fred Evans/David Mayo we encounter success, but otherwise you have to work with what you recruit (i.e. coaching). Blaming the Athletic Director for disadvantaged recruiting and subpar coaching at key areas is a fallacy.

Summary: Over the last decade The Texas State athletic program has averaged 211 out of 286 other DI programs with our best season comparable to Georgia Southern (145 vs 148) and our absolute worst year tied with Lamar (288 vs 288).

http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26851

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Because there has been a lot of success, numerous conference championships in every conference we've played, even FBS, (football, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, track)

bullshit. there's been sporadic success, nothing that could remotely be considered a "lot". numerous implies that we've won more than lost and that's absolutely not the case.

feel free to dispute that w/ some actual facts and list out the number of conference titles in the past 20 years for each sport. you can even go the weak way and list regular season titles. without even looking, volleyball is the only one you'll have any kind of argument for.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So, with the best season we've had in the 15 years, purely a result of Barrick Nealey? I would put more stock in Nealey than in Bailif.

Fundamentally, the two main ingredients into a football team are players/talent and coaches/coaching. If I was grading, I would have to give this season in Incomplete.

Players
The cubbards were pretty bare when EW came to town, then he cleared out any old or expired food, which left us with not much to work with. If we were talent rich, we wouldn't have this many true Freshmen playing and starting. I am glad they are getting the reps and I don't blame them for our record. As from a football maturity perspective, we are still pretty young.

I have been impressed with the activity and # of commitments for the next two years. That is very refreshing and gives me hope for the upcoming seasons.

Coaching
I did not get to watch the Idaho game, but have seen the rest this season. What I like is the "never give up" attitude on the sidelines. We put up decent offensive #'s so I think we have the right system in place. Our defense seems to be our weak point. I also think that it's to difficult for me to assess if the problem is the defensive scheme or player execution.

I think it's to early to judge or grade EW and his staff. As I've said all season, the only thing we've lost is Hope in this season. Especially after the first game, my hope radar was high. EW has been a straight shooter and doesn't always talk in "coach speak" that often.

Like Bill Parcells said, years ago, "if you want me to cook dinner, then you better let me pick out the groceries".

I still have faith and trust EW.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:53 pm