Game Thread - @ Appalachian State 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Appalachian State
We arent that bad. I see improvement. We are going to be good one day with all of these good players on the roster.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:
We arent that bad.

Agreed. The only thing I see keeping us from moving forward on game day is Withers. He truly has not coached to win since Ohio. Waiting until 4th down to call a play that goes in the direction of the end zone isn't going to get it done. He's too soft and conservative of a play caller. Last 3 quarters of Ohio was the last time his play call showed up.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well watching our OTs just stand around as the fucking play runs has got to be a frustrating. Jones isn't managing the play. When the heck do you allow an LB to just line up and run in without either getting lit up or hitting an open receiver. Something is really really off. I say get rid of Jones and get someone in there that has some fire. Tired of this crap.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:14 pm
Junior Bobcat

Took a nap instead of watching the game this afternoon. Much better use of my time. I don't have a headache and I am not frustrated. We will get there in a couple of years... in the meantime I prefer to take naps instead.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Sorry guys. Long work week and looooong day at work today. Crazy time of year for us band director folk. Now just styling down after today's contest...I don't even get to see the game :(. Will have to wait for ESPN replay...not even reading comments to avoid the game being spoiled for me....Contest again next eeek but Friday this time open for me so will get it done the Friday before the game next week...man I'm so tired I may end up falling sleep when I get you the game...#Life

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:36 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

dmccol wrote:
Took a nap instead of watching the game this afternoon. Much better use of my time. I don't have a headache and I am not frustrated. We will get there in a couple of years... in the meantime I prefer to take naps instead.

Yep. I watched about the all the first quarter, then called it.
Went outside, putzed around, did some yard work and enjoyed the weather. It ended up being a pretty nice Saturday.

A part of me was hoping I might check the game later and find out that we were up by 3 with a couple seconds left in the game...that was not the case.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I quit watching at halftime to go check out the basketball exhibition. Just watched the 2nd half on replay.

On the bright side, we looked significantly better in the 2nd half than the 1st. Defensively at least. Some of the young guys that haven't played much this year looked pretty good I thought, Anthony Taylor at CB especially. I think Frankie Griffin has looked pretty good since he's been playing more lately also. We may be decent in the secondary in the coming years. We'll need a serviceable DL to apply some pressure to notice it though.

Team morale seemed high all 2nd half which is a positive. A Fran coached team wouldn't have given as much effort in the 2nd half given the halftime score.

We won't be able to do anything offensively until the offensive line is fixed. There is nowhere for the backs to run and no time to throw. App's left end ran around Mizerak all day like he was a statue. Some of you guys can blame Jones all you want, but he's not the primary issue. Trust me, we don't have a QB on the roster that can be successful with the OL play we've been getting, we just don't.

App is a good team. One of the top 3 we've played so far. We have Idaho next week, who beat ULL today. Still, Idaho is likely our 2nd best chance for another win for the rest of the season behind New Mexico State. I don't think we're beating Arkansas State and I know we're not beating Troy.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

this can't be stated enough:
x wrote:
Some of you guys can blame Jones all you want, but he's not the primary issue.

so many mouthbreathers simply look at the results and conclude that a [insert who/whatever] sucks/quit/can't lead.

never mind that the offensive line is a sieve. even though it's been discussed on here a million times.
never mind that the running backs are less than talented. even though it's been discussed on here a million times.
never mind that the wide receivers didn't have a single d1 catch coming into this year. even though it's been discussed on here a million times before.

never mind that jones is literally the only player on offense that is playing at anywhere close to acceptable fbs levels.
leads the conf in comp % while 2nd in passing attempts
tied for the conf lead in rushing td

gaso is 4-5 and has 3 running backs w/ more yards than our leading rusher - mayberrry
6 sunbelt teams have 3 rushers in the top 27 - mayberry is #10, jones is #27

we're 3rd in the conf in passing offense, last in rushing offense, but the quarterback is the problem?

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:05 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
this can't be stated enough:
x wrote:
Some of you guys can blame Jones all you want, but he's not the primary issue.

so many mouthbreathers simply look at the results and conclude that a [insert who/whatever] sucks/quit/can't lead.

never mind that the offensive line is a sieve. even though it's been discussed on here a million times.
never mind that the running backs are less than talented. even though it's been discussed on here a million times.
never mind that the wide receivers didn't have a single d1 catch coming into this year. even though it's been discussed on here a million times before.

never mind that jones is literally the only player on offense that is playing at anywhere close to acceptable fbs levels.
leads the conf in comp % while 2nd in passing attempts
tied for the conf lead in rushing td

gaso is 4-5 and has 3 running backs w/ more yards than our leading rusher - mayberrry
6 sunbelt teams have 3 rushers in the top 27 - mayberry is #10, jones is #27

we're 3rd in the conf in passing offense, last in rushing offense, but the quarterback is the problem?

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Heaven forbid someone accuse the QB of being part of the problem. So what you're saying is that if he had a line, he would be a great QB? I understand.

Why dosn't TJ get pissed at the line? I could understand that people screw up once in a while but when the ball is snapped and the OT just stands up and watches the LB run past them like they didn't see them there is rediculous. I also saw them double to the inside while the LB on the outside runs in untouched. This is either not communicating or just plain avoiding the block. This happened often. Why doesn't TJ get pissed? Hell it's not even leadership. It's just talking to your team.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fell asleep twice, but just saw the game on replay.
Seriously, no way you can fault Jones. Sorry if the season played out again, dude is running around for his life. When given the opportunity he can really make things happen. Running backs (well Mayberry) are actually pretty ok, receivers are ok (well there was that dropped pass in the end zone), and the team could probably get to 6 wins with those two units being ok and Tyler Jones leading the charge. But a piss poor OLine gets you to 1 conference win. Think of it like a major exam that is weighted heavier than the trait of your grades in class. You completely bomb that heavily weighted exam and you fail the class, no matter how you performed earlier.

Also, odd that in a loss I still love how this team lost vs how a Fran team lost. This team at least is fighting and it's evident that the youngness and smaller scholarship numbers are what is effecting this team. Despite all that is going against them you can alarmist believe hey, these guys may pull off the upset. I think even the commentators in last night's game were l, "well we thought this one was over, but the Bobcats have an opportunity to make this a 2 possession game." A Fran team would go out there with no energy, still lose but really piss you off in how they did it. There would be gutless play calling and shitty play calling (Withers seems to at least be putting his guys in positions to succeed, but execution is the issue). Under Fran that is a 55-3 loss.

There were so many good things to take away and I am convinced that the future is bright.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Get pissed at the oline? Maybe that's just not TJ's style. Some people don't like to lead by being an asshole to their teammates. Maybe he's taking another approach.
Maybe he just gets it. They are already trying their hardest, but they are just really young and undersized. Yelling at them doesn't make them more experienced or gain 50 lbs. He is a realist and I can respect that, because I believe the ability to see deeper and look at a bigger picture shows a higher intelligence in that individual.

Last edited by El Gato on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

when he was winning games as a freshman and sophomore, you loved the cool demeanor. now that the wins aren't there, he's a quitter who doesn't give a shit?

edit: *the royal you

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Of course.

But when an LB is lined up opposite the OT and there is on four on four, why does the OT avoid? Fine don't get pissed, how about just get your tail handed to you play after play. Watch a replay.

Early App was bringing one extra when we didn't have a back in the backfield thinking they could get to Jones with one extra but later in the game they saw that all they needed was four because we let one come untouched everytime.

Being calm and collected when things are going well and people are doing what they are supposed to do is what is expected. Calm and collected when things aren't going well (understatement) is when you stop being calm and collected. TJ doesn't change. Just saying that maybe he could point to the people in front of his OL so they know who to block. It is all so unbelievably rediculous it's unreal. How could anyone not get pissed?

Sorry guys,,,I know that this is a tough year and I feel for TJ. I honestly want him to do well. Maybe it just surprises me that he doesn't get pissed.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tpopt wrote:
Of course.

But when an LB is lined up opposite the OT and there is on four on four, why does the OT avoid? Fine don't get pissed, how about just get your tail handed to you play after play. Watch a replay.

Early App was bringing one extra when we didn't have a back in the backfield thinking they could get to Jones with one extra but later in the game they saw that all they needed was four because we let one come untouched everytime.

Being calm and collected when things are going well and people are doing what they are supposed to do is what is expected. Calm and collected when things aren't going well (understatement) is when you stop being calm and collected. TJ doesn't change. Just saying that maybe he could point to the people in front of his OL so they know who to block. It is all so unbelievably rediculous it's unreal. How could anyone not get pissed?

Sorry guys,,,I know that this is a tough year and I feel for TJ. I honestly want him to do well. Maybe it just surprises me that he doesn't get pissed.

Agreed. I saw several plays where Mizerak was beaten badly at the line (edge rushers) and let his man smack TJ...over and over. There's no way that your QB can be effective when they are running for their lives constantly...and he's been running for his life since his freshman year. It should be no wonder to see some of the questionable plays, rushing his passes, or scrambling out of the pocket that he does. He literally cannot play the game with any realistic comfort level. It's sad to see a hard working and talented player be reduced to what we are now witnessing.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:17 am