Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan? 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 pm
Posts: 1406
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Lot of posts on here are very short-sighted. It's impossible to give Withers an honest assessment until year 3. If you've made it this far as a fan you might as well stick around for a few more seasons. It comes down to this...if the supporters want a better program they're going to have to donate more. More money = better assistant coaches, trainers, academic resources for athletes, etc.

I believe much of this can be laid at the feet of Teis and his seemingly utter disinterest in fundraising activities. We should[ have much more in the way of yearly donations than we're currently at. I looked at a graph of donor money once and it seems like TXST is drawing bigger crowds on gameday than similar programs, but those same programs have much higher levels of donor money coming in. Given that the area is booming economically, I gotta believe a boatload of money is out there for TXST, it's just not being brought in.


Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:47 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:45 pm
Posts: 5137
Location: at the neighboring pub...
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
tx.state wrote:
We're talking about buying out a contract 4 years from now for a coach who was hired 10 days before signing day, 5 games in to his TXST career.


Yep. You'd swear this fanbase was that of Notre Dame or Texas...

I've also highlighted the critical issue from your post. :sign:

I won't even talk about Withers coaching performance until he gets a couple of real seasons of recruiting and another couple of playing seasons under his belt. Until then, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Phratcatbocoloco... based on your assessment that losing to ULM & GaSt were games that he needed to win, and that he essentially needs to win four of the next six (with three of those being mandatory), then that implies that you expected nothing less than an eight win season in Withers's first season. And in the context of his nearly non-existent recruiting season and a bunch of players he inherited that probably shouldn't be playing FBS ball. If you expected eight wins this season, given what you know about last season and the state of the program Withers inherited, then that is wholly unreasonable.

Maybe nobody else is quite ready to say it, but I will... I think Fran left this program in worse shape than when Wright left the program. Wright just left it without talent. Fran left it with limited talent along with poor discipline, a poor culture and no momentum.

Not all penalties are created equal. Last season we were collecting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties like my nephew collects pokemon. The penalties I'm seeing this year seem more the result of being outmatched - mostly holding and interference penalties. Oh, and a rash of false starts when we lost our starting center and had to play musical chairs on the already depleted Oline. You are correct that 100 yards in penalties is unacceptable, but I somewhat understand our situation on that.

_________________
I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.


Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:02 pm
Posts: 1759
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
I'm getting to the point that I'm not excited for football games any longer. Even more depressing is I have not been excited for a bobcat baseball game in a pretty long time either. Tailgates and hanging out with my family and friends before football games has been the only fun part of Bobcat athletics in over a year.

I am looking forward to Saturday's tailgate. I doubt I make it to half time of the game. For the first time ever I thought about asking my wife to pick me up from the tailgate at 5:45 and not even attending the game.

Have not watched a single play in the 2nd half of a game at bobcat stadium. Saturday was the first time that I did not watch a single play of a televised bobcat game.

_________________
There is no substitute for lack of preparation - Cheatham Street Warehouse Bathroom Wall

Image


Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:16 pm
Posts: 819
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
JustinS09 wrote:

Anyways, with all that said, we should be seeing results by year 3. I want to see an improvement in the win column from this year to next. Followed by 6, 7, or 8 wins in year 3. If he can't do that, there's no reason to be talking about year 4, but if he does, I want to see a push for the conference championship in year 4.



Anyone going to jump on Justin for saying the exact same thing (in different words) than what I said earlier this season with the contract buyout question like y'all jumped on me? Hashtag just saying. 8)


You are an idiot. Justin is saying judgement can't be made yet. You were basically saying you've decided after 2 or 3 games (whenever you said that) that judgement is out and withers is not going to take us where we want to go.

Hashtag delete your account.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:12 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:42 am
Posts: 669
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Have not watched a single play in the 2nd half of a game at bobcat stadium


You aren't alone. It hurts the heart too much. Watched every second of the 4hr 37 min Athens thriller, loved every minute. Drove 18 roundtrip hours to Fayetteville, couldn't get into the endzone at all.. left hardly into the 2nd quarter after Jones' 10thish career pick6? If the score of the UA was halfway reasonable would have driven to SM too for the UH game, but it wasn't and ended up staying at home watching it with gf's DB brother-in-law cougar grad had to listen to all his stupid arrogant talk up until half when he even left. Tuned in for 4th Q of UIW where the running game was too hard to bear. Tuned in for just the 2nd half of GaSt, that was too hard on the heart to watch an almost 21-0 lead slip away on a 34-7 run so then against ULM I went to waiting until Q4 to turn it on where I witnessed Warhawks drop 40 when held to a FG last year. If I'm not at the ULL game in person I find it hard that I will turn it on at all. Won't watch NMSU or Idaho bc they're dead to SBC anyway. App Troy and State I'll play by ear. I dread the 7th loss bc that's when the season and all bowl hope officially dies. My spirit desires for us to have 6 or less losses for the sake of bowl eligibilty headed into state game but my eyes have seen too much by now to think winning 3 of the next 5 is possible

_________________
"punishing all for the actions of one is simply a way for universities to appear as if they are doing something about something they will never have control of - students drinking"
-Goodman


Last edited by Bobbumman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:05 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:03 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Plano, TX
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
What a bunch of wussies.

Frankly, if you only want to support the team when they win, then I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you back soon. Supporting a team when they win is easy. Sticking with a team thru the rough times is call commitment or loyalty.

Sure, most people didn't have the highest expectations going into the season. Then we won a game that we shouldn't have.... so there was hope. Then we tanked against two of the highest ranked teams the school has ever faced and were far outmatched... hope lost. We struggle against an opponent that we all though we would win (which we eventually did). Then we drop two that we thought we could win... both on the road...hope lost.

Just a reminder, most fans expected this to be a down/tough year, which is exactly what we are watching. It's ok to bitch and moan, but to comment that this loss was the final straw is ridiculous.

We have never been an elite program. I hope we can be some day (before I die). But, the only thing that we really have lost is "hope" for a winning season.

If any players or coaches ever look at this post, just know there are a lot of Bobcats that have your back....

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

_________________
Eat Em Up Cats!
PSA 6th Grade Superbowl Champions-2015
Plano Bobcats Football HC 2008-2015


Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:37 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
tc1209 wrote:

You are an idiot. Justin is saying judgement can't be made yet. You were basically saying you've decided after 2 or 3 games (whenever you said that) that judgement is out and withers is not going to take us where we want to go.

Hashtag delete your account.



Basic reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm
Posts: 399
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Pretty funny (yet predictable) that most people had us down for around 3 wins but are now in despair after a 2-4 start. It sucks but focus on what is fun. Go tailgate with friends, show up to the game, leave when its not fun anymore. I used to stay until the end no matter what. We will be leaving when we feel like it from now on. At the end of the day this is all entertainment.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:11 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:10 pm
Posts: 399
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
bobcathusband wrote:
Lot of posts on here are very short-sighted. It's impossible to give Withers an honest assessment until year 3. If you've made it this far as a fan you might as well stick around for a few more seasons. It comes down to this...if the supporters want a better program they're going to have to donate more. More money = better assistant coaches, trainers, academic resources for athletes, etc.

I believe much of this can be laid at the feet of Teis and his seemingly utter disinterest in fundraising activities. We should[ have much more in the way of yearly donations than we're currently at. I looked at a graph of donor money once and it seems like TXST is drawing bigger crowds on gameday than similar programs, but those same programs have much higher levels of donor money coming in. Given that the area is booming economically, I gotta believe a boatload of money is out there for TXST, it's just not being brought in.


I remember looking at a graph when we were making the move to FBS that showed our number of donors as compared to similar schools. We were way way behind. Although I think we have taken some positive steps with the student club and recent grad programs, the overall effort is lacking. There are so many missed opportunities and people that would donate if simply asked. This is a university problem as much as a BC problem.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:07 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 953
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
tc1209 wrote:

You are an idiot. Justin is saying judgement can't be made yet. You were basically saying you've decided after 2 or 3 games (whenever you said that) that judgement is out and withers is not going to take us where we want to go.

Hashtag delete your account.



Basic reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

Tc1209 was spot in with what I was saying. Basically, I'm not making any judgement till we give withers enough time to get his recruits and mentality in place. You were literally saying we have already seen that withers isn't going to win here and needs to be bought out.


Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Quote:
JustinS09 wrote:

Basic reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

Tc1209 was spot in with what I was saying. Basically, I'm not making any judgement till we give withers enough time to get his recruits and mentality in place. You were literally saying we have already seen that withers isn't going to win here and needs to be bought out.
[/quote]


No, I literally said "anyone know what the buyout amount is on his contract, we may need that information in a couple of years." Your exact words Justin were "If he can't do that, there is no reason to be talking about a year 4." Meaning you'd want him fired three years in unless he wins 6,7 or 8 games.

People hijacked that thread into me calling for his head already. Let me remind all of you that I expected one win before the season and we already have two.....so Withers and his staff have already exceeded my expectations for the year.

Should we beat some other teams? we have the talent for it and other teams are in down years, but I don't think we will be able to.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:26 am
Posts: 953
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Stop backtracking. You should really go back and re-read that thread.

You said you have seen enough from Withers already that you have come to the conclusion that based on his "MO"and coaching style, that we will "probably not be successful" under him.

What I am saying, is the exact opposite. Everything I have seen from Withers brings me to the conclusion that we will be successful under him. In fact, I have seen nothing to indicate that we won't be at 6, 7, or 8 wins come year 3. However, IF we aren't there by the end of year 3, then you can start bringing up that buy out thing. Not in his first year with the mess left behind by Fran.


Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 6350
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
JustinS09 wrote:
Stop backtracking.

that's what he does best. probably because he has to do so quite frequently.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
JustinS09 wrote:
Stop backtracking. You should really go back and re-read that thread.

You said you have seen enough from Withers already that you have come to the conclusion that based on his "MO"and coaching style, that we will "probably not be successful" under him.

What I am saying, is the exact opposite. Everything I have seen from Withers brings me to the conclusion that we will be successful under him. In fact, I have seen nothing to indicate that we won't be at 6, 7, or 8 wins come year 3. However, IF we aren't there by the end of year 3, then you can start bringing up that buy out thing. Not in his first year with the mess left behind by Fran.



We're saying the exact same thing, but in different terms. You feel he will be successful, but leave the door open to not give him a year 4 if we are not. I feel that we won't be successful and by year 4 we may need to buy out the contract, but leave the door open to "probably not being successful" by year 3. In all actuality, given the state of affairs currently, I'm more correct than you are. 8)


Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:01 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am
Posts: 453
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
In all actuality, given the state of affairs currently


you mean like losing to two teams that make up the bottom half of the worst conf in FBS in back to back weeks with games against the conference's 3 best teams still to play?

I hope for his sake and our sake that our 'floor' for his career has already been hit


Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group