Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big
Yeah parking pass is probably worth it.

I'm typically about 8 hours early for every game cause I tailgate. For the first time since probably the 2011 season I didn't tailgate at all on Saturday. I got to San Marcos around 6:20 with a lot 3 parking pass and was in my seats with a beer by 6:30.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

i'll never understand people who complain about parking. it's like complaining that the sun came up in the east.

walked through the student tailgate about an hour before the game and didn't see any fighting of chicks peeing in the parking lot. did see plenty of cops, both on foot and in the golf cart.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
walked through the student tailgate about an hour before the game and didn't see any fighting of chicks peeing in the parking lot. did see plenty of cops, both on foot and in the golf cart.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

A lot of great comments in this post. A few... not so much.

My 2 cents:

The "party school" moniker still lingers from the 80's... mostly kept alive by people that went to whatever school in the state in that time frame... High School kids about to enter college and 1st and 2nd year students don't think of TXST as a party school.... I think that school is so much more expensive from when I was a student (80's-90's) that parents don't want to pay a ton of $$ to send their kids of to a party school or what they perceive as a party school from decades old reputation, so they may discourage their kids from attending.

The University's commitment to sports/football. The school has obviously spent some $$ in improving facilities, which they need to to attract the right kind of talent. I think TXST totally lucked out by getting EW. Thank goodness that EW inquired about the job. He is the right guy for the job as he has already demonstrated from his purging of the team over the winter/spring. We have to get a new AD to take the University to the next level. You want more students, alums to donate more $$ to your school, then you have to feed your #1 Marketing tool, which is football.

I FINALLY think that we have the needle pointed in the right direction. It seems like we've been taking a lot of baby steps for the last 20 years. Some in the right direction...Some in the wrong direction. I think of one of Bum Phillips best quotes describes our football program, "the last few years, we've been knocking at the door. Next year, we are going to kick it in".

:eatemup:
:eatemup:

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:17 am
Bobcat Wannabe

DiscoStu wrote:
Wow, some of these posts are making me sad for our school and this is one of the worst. Alex, ideas are welcome but check the ignorant rhetoric at the door.

Of course more can be done, but what do you call moving to FBS? Building a new stadium? Hiring a new coach? Throwing our hat into the tier 1 race?

DiscoStu,

You're right and bring up excellent points. Moving to the FBS, upgrading our stadium are important and big moves. However, their not enough. If we want to get to where other schools are at in the state of Texas we need to do more. I don't expect us to be the next UT or next A&M. (believe me Im all in for that if it happens one day) but I do expect a little more success out of our programs. I do expect a little better of a hire at head coach. It sucks because Everett Withers is a great person. A man with a lot of experience and a coach that can reach his players. But we want a big name of a hire. I wish him the best and the best to our program but know he isn't the man to take us to the next level.

and DiscoStu, dont hate man. We're all Bobcats here and are on the same team. When Texas State wins, you win and I win.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am
Bobcat Wannabe

coogs_nation777 wrote:
As a coog fan and alum (i have several close friends from Texas St), it's really important that alumni donate $$$. Texas State can also take the steps UH has.

It's very important for coach to recruit a top qb. For example, Briles recruited both NFL caliber Qb's Kevin Kolb and Case Keenum. Coach Levine wasn't that great but he did recruit and saw huge potential for Greg Ward. After Greg Ward graduates, freshman D'Eriq King (rated No. 14 athlete in the nation by ESPN) and 5star recruit from A&m, Kyle Allen battle it out. Houston is stacked at QB. Even backup, Postma is solid.

If Texas State can recruit some key players, they can build. QB is where it starts. Your coach is solid and it will take time. The culture of Texas St among players needs to change and then the team will start to grow into a winning football team.

Well said sir.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am
True Bobcat Fan

alexv7 wrote:
I do expect a little better of a hire at head coach. It sucks because Everett Withers is a great person. A man with a lot of experience and a coach that can reach his players. But we want a big name of a hire. I wish him the best and the best to our program but know he isn't the man to take us to the next level.

Like Saul said:
Write that check. That's all it takes.

Some of you guys expect us to hire someone that will cost millions a year, yet you don't donate or buy tickets or attend games (not saying this specifically about you Alex, just speaking in general).

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
i'll never understand people who complain about parking. it's like complaining that the sun came up in the east.

Not sure what you getting at. We weren't in the tailgait area. We were on the street (where we had been for about 15 minutes) just west.

It was close to game time and the girl was opposite the Ball Fields across the street squating on the sidewalk next to a huge black 4x4 truck. Maybe someone here saw it. She tried to be descrete but my daughter was really excited to see what all of the girls were wearing so she was watching them walk up the street. Turned into a lesson of 'the clothes don't make the person" and "don't pee uphill from your feet" conversation.

The fight occurred just over the tracks as you come from the ball fields. To be fair, it's difficult to manage drunk people. But I don't usually see things like that before a 6:30 kickoff. Usually what you would see at 12:00 or 1:00am.

The fight wouldn't have been bad except for the fact that we were stopped and had a front row seat. Those things typically disperse when there are so many involved. Unfortunately one kid was persistent and got his head thrown into the truck. Another kid (or maybe the same one) charged the other group and four or so guys held him while one guy punched him a 3 -4 times. The family didn't freak out until a guy got slammed on the pavement and started getting beat down. That's when they made me get out and go over there. I got out and skipped my happy old scary ass over there and everyone left (think some soccer mom was there too). Didn't even have to say anything (think she may have said something).

I'm not one to complain about parking either and wouldn't typically. Hell, I understand. It's tough to park for any game. I get it and suppose that's what you're getting at. There are a lot of people. Not tough to figure out. Been to a few games over the years and have walked everytime.

It was just a perfect storm sort of situation. One thing after another after another all the way through the lines for drinks (happy to see that they weren't long) where a guy was raising his voice talking graphically about male genitalia while my daughter was is in front of him. And before you say it, .... Yes, my wife and I prepped her before we got there. Hell it's the public right and you may hear and see anything? Just didn't think I was taking her to a place that had no consideration for families on family weekend.

Just wanted her to be impressed.

My wife wanted to walk around and show her the stadium while the team was on the field and my daughter wouldn't leave my side. Opposite of what I was hoping.

I've been to a lot of games but I've never experienced a day like that one ever at any game. Not really complaining, just telling my story. Just happens that my story unfortunately sounds a lot like complaining.

and to top it off, the f'n sun came up on the f'n east the next morning.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:47 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Anyone know where we can find our schedule for the next few years? I'm interested in what non-conference schools we're getting to play with us. I hope it's big and/or decent teams we play against.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://www.fbschedules.com/

Great site.

Last edited by x on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-bel ... obcats.php

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't think I've ever been to a major LSU, UT, Professional tailgate where parking wasn't a bitch, someone didn't pee/puke...etc., and there wasn't at least one uncoordinated drunken brawl. This means we're heading in the right direction! :lol:

Valet parking for top tier BC donors though? How baller would that be?!

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tpopt wrote:
a guy was raising his voice talking graphically about male genitalia while my daughter was is in front of him. And before you say it, .... Yes, my wife and I prepped her before we got there. Hell it's the public right and you may hear and see anything? Just didn't think I was taking her to a place that had no consideration for families on family weekend.

did you say anything to him?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bun suite was a great experience for me this week. Food was delicious and booze kept flowing all the way to the last second of the 4th quarter.

I don't understand though how they still don't sell frito pies! I'ts freaking Texas Football for crying out loud, it is to be expected that there be Frito pies in the concession stands (I am referring to last week). Thank God for the alumni tailgate where Wienerschnitzel had some amazing frito pies.

Seriously, on the Lot 4 thing. It's totally worth it. I haven't been to the student tailgate in years, and I definitely don't take my family over past there. That time has long past.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:38 pm
SuperCat

I have a lot 4 pass and it's pretty neat. Me and 7 friends squeezed into a truck after consolidating at one of my friend's apartment and from there we drug our ice chest to the student tailgate and had a blast. One of my friends, who was pretty lit, was feeling like a big shot thanks to the pass and brought it with us to the tailgate and was showing it to everyone for some reason. It was pretty silly. Definitely didn't see any fighting or pissing though lol.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next