Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big
Saul Goodman wrote:
people don't donate to a party school. the farther we get away from that tag, the more donors we'll have.

Which is why this was the dumbest marketing slogan for Texas State:

#PartyInTheEndzone

With one hashtag, Withers eroded 13 years of Trauth's efforts to make Texas State be perceived as the respectable Harvard of the Hills.

Wow, I actually agree with Saul on something. I must be getting old.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:21 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
the reason you have those coaches is because you have the money. we don't have the money. uh has been incredibly lucky w/ their donors over the years, starting w/ roy cullen.
Quote:
Athletics departments at public universities are generally expected to pay their own bills, with schools usually chipping in to cover shortfalls. But Houston’s subsidies in recent years have grown beyond the norm. From 2008 to 2014, the school transferred $106 million to athletics, according to financial reports reviewed by the Tribune. The next highest spender among major public NCAA schools in Texas was the University of Texas at El Paso, which transferred $47 million.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/03 ... athletics/

The financial data used by the Tribune in this report was collected directly from each Texas school through the Texas Public Information Act. According to those numbers, Houston reported to the NCAA that its athletics collected $144 million in student fees and institutional transfers from 2008 to 2014. Texas State collected $115 million, the next highest amount, during that time.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

A hashtag used by a coach to hype the football program during recruiting has almost no affect on general perception of the university.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

txst - help me out w/ your point there. is a $30m gap not significant?

the number in my quote above and beyond student fees - it's taken from the academic side of the house.
Quote:
To fund its ambitions, the University of Houston has transferred more than $100 million from its academic side to its sports programs in recent years, figures reviewed by The Texas Tribune show.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

back to uh donors in recent(ish) years:
Tilman Fertitta donates $20M to UH to remodel Hofheinz Pavilion
http://www.click2houston.com/sports/uni ... m-donation

UH gets $10 million donation toward football stadium
http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/art ... 122763.php

UH receives $109 million in private contributions [single year - guessing stuff like this is where the above quoted university support is coming from]
http://thedailycougar.com/2012/10/11/uh ... ributions/
UH raised $109 million in private contributions since 2011, surpassing its goal of $80 million in contributions and boasting an increase of $30 million from the previous year.

Wealthy Couple Repays Alma Mater: $51.4 Million to University of Houston
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/30/educa ... uston.html
The Mooreses have made eight donations in 1991 that total $51.4 million. They include $25 million to build a new athletic building and renovate existing sports fields;
Previous gifts: A total of more than $75 million to the University of Houston http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/thanks-a-million/

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
data shows otherwise, but feel free to believe your own version of reality.

Please feel free to provide said "data."

When I go to donate, the fact that I went to more than a few parties while I was there doesn't enter into my decision at all.

Also, when was the last time we were ranked in any party school list? Oh, and doesn't that school from Austin have one of the highest alumni donor bases in the nation, while also being ranked in several top 10 party lists in recent years? If this "data"you speak of was accurate, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be possible.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:59 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Saul Goodman wrote:
the reason you have those coaches is because you have the money. we don't have the money. uh has been incredibly lucky w/ their donors over the years, starting w/ roy cullen.
Quote:
Athletics departments at public universities are generally expected to pay their own bills, with schools usually chipping in to cover shortfalls. But Houston’s subsidies in recent years have grown beyond the norm. From 2008 to 2014, the school transferred $106 million to athletics, according to financial reports reviewed by the Tribune. The next highest spender among major public NCAA schools in Texas was the University of Texas at El Paso, which transferred $47 million.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/03 ... athletics/

A lot of it has to do with many of the alum live in Houston and some make a ton of money. But Houston also has a great record in the past beating great teams. A lot of donors, the University, and the city want Houston to be on the map.

Regardless, Texas St needs to contact donors and get the right staff to recruit. It will take time but can be done. I also think a jump to a conference like c-usa would help.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Please feel free to provide said "data."

go look up what our donations to the academic side, athletics, and endowments have done over the past 20 years. steady climb after being consistently nada until the name change. can't find any of the pics now and many times hearing it at alumni association/bc luncheons, but our donations have been steadily climbing over that time. not surprisingly, the fastest growing segment of our donors are younger grads, from programs like student bobcat club and the alumni association finally doing work.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I really don't think it is money. We have 38,000 + students paying $700-$1200 per year for athletics sucks for them but that is a lot of money. In the 90's our school was waking up under Supple. I remember seeing our alumni giving rate was impressive back in those days. The Centennial Campaign was a success. Since then steady climb with the Mittes the Fields and all the donors for our school. Our Alumni Association (say what you want) is actually large and successful. Our basketball team was AWESOME back in those days (Lynwood Wade, Elijah Hobley, Jeff Foster). The problem now still is perception (fair and unfair) and having a bad football team in Texas where your school is judged by your football team.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

it's always money. look at what we pay our coaches, especially our assistants. compare to texas fbs schools, compare to sunbelt, cusa, mac schools.

it's also about leadership, and the bun/good doctor combination isn't ideal, to say the least.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
people don't donate to a party school. the farther we get away from that tag, the more donors we'll have.

Horseshit. Google "Top Party Schools".

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

use your head - those lists are all marketing nonsense. party schools are 2nd tier state schools, not the state flagship. to be a legit party school, it has to be possible to party balls and actually graduate. texas is a bigger party school than txst? gtfoh. florida is a bigger party school than ucf? c'mon. illionois is a bigger party school than siu or niu? really? tulane and colgate? lehigh and bucknell? go look at the entrance reqs for those schools - our avg sat is ~1500, theirs is ~2000. any school that's an aau member is automatically off any real party school list.

huge difference between fun places to go to school, and a party school.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The wife made plans for us to come down for my b-day and I was embarrassed to say that this was my school. They're losing control and need to rethink how things are being managed. Sad and may not make the trip from Dallas again. Cost my family about 500 bucks with hotel.

Someone isn't managing the game day very well. Found a place to park relatively close to the stadium about 2 years ago and figured we could do the same this year. Nope. After driving around in lines of cars for about 30 minutes and then finally asking advice from stadium security who led us to another 30 minute line of cars, I was pissed. We finally found a place about a 15 minute walk to the game. missed the first quarter.

Not to mention that while we drove around, we got to witness staggering. profanity screaming, peeing coeds, and frats that were kicking the shit out of each other. The kids actually made me get out of my truck to break up the 15 kids fighting when none of the other 100 people around seemed to care much. While I'm no angel, seems that things were a little out of control. No security was around or at least seemed interested in managing anything.

May be my last game.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You really need to get Lot 4 parking. I think that you need to make about a $200 contribution to the Bobcat Club to get this privilege. It saves a lot of hassle. I got towed from a lot a few years ago and it was a very unpleasant experience. It is a violation of a tow truck license to tow cars from a lot where there is not a towing sign warning. After checking out the spot where I got towed, the sign was removed and laying on the ground. I'm sure the tow truck guy who is a total bandit removed it so that people would park there. It cost me $500 to hire an attorney to deal with the fact that I drove off of the wrecker operator's lot without paying. He also tried to tell police that I almost ran over his common-law wife when I left his lot. It was a total bold faced lie, but it became a big problem for me. Just pony up for the Bobcat Club deal and get your parking pass for Lot 4. I learned the hard way.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That tailgate was pretty rough for UH... even my eyes were about as big as saucers. :shock: It was a hot, hot, hot, hot mess.

My typical game plan on parking for this year is to park downtown, grab some food downtown somewhere, make a traditional stop at Showdown, and then enjoy the walk through Sewell Park and the primary tailgate area.

I miss my Lot 2 pass... but I'm one of those people that severed all donations until Teis makes an exit.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next