Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big
One of Texas States big Boosters last year said..."Think big, be big. Think small, be small." Texas State needs to start thinking big, and needs to start going whatever is necessary to build competitive athletic programs. We need to start investing like the rest of the schools in the state.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Texas State Need to Start Thinking Big
I agree.

Starts at the top, which is why you see a lot of us calling for Teis to be fired. We need someone that has that mentality and not someone that was brought in to maintain a small athletic department.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Groundbreaking.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

...but the Bobcat's have almost never been "right" in the 30 years since I was a freshman and became a fan. I've witnessed all of it.

My opinion is that while the administration has become more supportive of the athletic department in recent years there was distinct hostility in the past (prior to about 2003 or so). Since that time, when Trauth came along, there has been a concerted effort to raise the level of athletics...or at least appear to, but let's look at the results.

Football:
One big season in 2005 and lots of "just wait 'til next year" talk every year since. The success of 2005 was used as a launching point for "The Drive" to Div. 1A (FBS). Meanwhile, Coach Bailiff, a true Bobcat, went to coach at football powerhouse Rice due to a perceived lack of institutional (Teis) and alumni support. The department will hold up the two DIV II National Championships as proof of some commitment to excellence but the truth is more revealing. Those winning years were ALL about Jim Wacker. Prior to his arrival the team was bad..and it was right back in the toilet after he left. How's that for commitment? Fact is, the old-guard alumni who used to run the Bobcat Club absolutely did not want to grow the athletic department. They were content to have their own little private football program and club. It was almost impossible to join the Bobcat Club prior to 2008...kind of like having a literacy test to vote. Theoretically possible but not attainable. Fortunately, this has changed in a big way so I'll call it progress. We've had good athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities but still struggle to put together a winner in the premier college sport.

Men's Basketball:
It has never ever been good. The department likes to point to a couple of NCAA tournament appearances but that's exactly what they were. We appeared and then were gone a couple of hours later when the game was over. We beat Texas once...in 1936. We've had good athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities but still struggle to put together a winner.

Women's Basketball:
It has never ever been good. We've had good athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities but have never put together a winner. Not one. Fun fact: one of our former coaches (Linda Sharp) is in the Women's Basketball HOF, was the coach of USC, the USA Olympic team, and WNBA...but she couldn't make it work in San Marcos.

Baseball:
A full time scholarship program wasn't started until 1985. Let that sink in. A college in Texas didn't have a baseball program until 1985...for a game that every other college worth mentioning had a team since the late 19th century. We have had some relative success with a few good seasons, tournament appearances, athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities but still struggle to put together a consistent winner or have a deep dive into the NCAA tournament.

Softball:
The only sport at SWT/Texas State to ever be ranked in the Top 25 poll. Our best team happened to co-inside with Jennie Finch at Arizona and Kat Osterman at Texas. We were 52-16 (i think), ranked #16, in 2003, made it to the regionals at UT and got beat. We have had some good success with a few terrific seasons, several tournament appearances, athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities but still struggle to get over the top and make the CSWS.

Volleyball:
We have one of the all-time winningest coaches in Division I but still have NEVER won a set in the NCAA tournament. Chisum has been the constant since 1976 and yet we're expected to be excited about a match win over Kennesaw State or Eastern Oklahoma. Our volleyball team has NEVER beaten a team that is ranked in the top 1/3 of the NCAA. Ever. We've had good athletes, coaches, fans, and facilities for four decades but still do not have a consistent winner.

So, what is the constant here? We have the coaches, athletes, facilities, fans, alumni...and more...but can't quite seem to get even ONE program to excel consistently. This points to an organizational or systemic problem that rewards low expectations and holds institutional process over winning. There is not a winning culture and never has been, and it doesn't rest in the laps of coaches or the athletes. It has to do with management and the administration that is at best *slightly* involved and at worst hostile toward athletics. There is an attitude that simply graduating student athletes is enough. I reject that notion because those same athletes must certainly look back on their days with fondness but also some regret that they weren't supported like that could've been...and that's kind of sad.

The best we can do is to continue to support the program through sheer numbers and force, with loud voices, the athletic administration and school administration to create the right conditions for a winning culture. I think it starts with Larry Teis. He simply isn't the right man for the job and never has been.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

alexv7 wrote:
Texas State's only big Booster last year said..."Think big, be big. Think small, be small." Texas State needs to start thinking big, and needs to start going whatever is necessary to build competitive athletic programs. We need to start investing like the rest of the schools in the state.

FIFY

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:16 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Wow, some of these posts are making me sad for our school and this is one of the worst. Alex, ideas are welcome but check the ignorant rhetoric at the door.

Of course more can be done, but what do you call moving to FBS? Building a new stadium? Hiring a new coach? Throwing our hat into the tier 1 race?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

alexv7 wrote:
We need to start investing like the rest of the schools in the state.

write that check. that's all it takes.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

And there you have it. Think big be big. That's the only thing we need to do.

I have come to terms with us being a sorry football school. I hope we one day get to go to a bowl game. It will be fun to travel with our group of friends. Tailgating every weekend is extremely fun, the games usually suck.

Baseball on the other hand pisses me off to no end. There is no reason we cant be a really good baseball school, yet we are crap. And here we sit with Harrington who would only get hired as high school coach if we got rid of him. Teis and his apathy towards the baseball program infuriates me more than the football program. We have awful baseball season after awful baseball season while having more players drafted every year than any other school in the SunBelt. Harrington sucks.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I will say that thinking big is also something the fans and alumni need to do.

Most other successful universities donate an unreal amount more than we do. I wish I had numbers, but compared to other schools, they have more donors and they're all donating more per donor.

There's really no excuse for us to not be bringing in more from donations than we are. We have a huge alumni base compared to how much is actually donated.

Yea, Teis is doing the university no favors, and I know more than a few people either not donating or donating less than they can because he's still the AD, but we should still be much higher despite him.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

people don't donate to a party school. the farther we get away from that tag, the more donors we'll have.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

^This

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
people don't donate to a party school. the farther we get away from that tag, the more donors we'll have.

lol, that's not the reason people dont donate.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

data shows otherwise, but feel free to believe your own version of reality.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:15 am
Bobcat Wannabe

As a coog fan and alum (i have several close friends from Texas St), it's really important that alumni donate $$$. Texas State can also take the steps UH has.

It's very important for coach to recruit a top qb. For example, Briles recruited both NFL caliber Qb's Kevin Kolb and Case Keenum. Coach Levine wasn't that great but he did recruit and saw huge potential for Greg Ward. After Greg Ward graduates, freshman D'Eriq King (rated No. 14 athlete in the nation by ESPN) and 5star recruit from A&m, Kyle Allen battle it out. Houston is stacked at QB. Even backup, Postma is solid.

If Texas State can recruit some key players, they can build. QB is where it starts. Your coach is solid and it will take time. The culture of Texas St among players needs to change and then the team will start to grow into a winning football team.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

the reason you have those coaches is because you have the money. we don't have the money. uh has been incredibly lucky w/ their donors over the years, starting w/ roy cullen.
Quote:
Athletics departments at public universities are generally expected to pay their own bills, with schools usually chipping in to cover shortfalls. But Houston’s subsidies in recent years have grown beyond the norm. From 2008 to 2014, the school transferred $106 million to athletics, according to financial reports reviewed by the Tribune. The next highest spender among major public NCAA schools in Texas was the University of Texas at El Paso, which transferred $47 million.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/03 ... athletics/

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:39 am