Update on Master Plan 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Update on Master Plan
lurker wrote:
It wouldn't have had to be wall to wall.

The time it takes to get across campus is a pretty common complaint from students and faculty.

Not that it matters now. It just would have been nice.

It doesn't take that long to get between the various academic buildings. Certainly no longer than what one encounters at TAMU, Texas Tech, UNT or UH. The difference here is that our campus is linear and has a ton of topography, and of course desire for convenient/lazy parking. There's a reason TxSt ladies have the best legs in the state. That topography is also part of why you see greening in the middle of the campus--they need green spaces throughout, particularly near slopes, to help with storm water management & water quality. I've got very little sympathy... I lived in Bexar Hall and nearly all of my classes were in Evans or Flowers.

From what I've seen, they are trying to keep the academic buildings fairly central, with residential pushed toward the northern & western edges and the community-engagement facilities like the performing arts toward the city/downtown. To me, that makes a lot of sense.

I will say though that the north campus housing complex as well as the Edward Gary Garage/PAC are a little bit on the monolithic side up against the city. A little more glazing & gentler architecture would have really helped things. In particular, I think they made a mistake not creating any ground floor retail-type space along that University Drive frontage against downtown. It would have helped significantly with that "walling" complaint and more directly engaged/integrated with the downtown.

I'm very anxious to see the schematic design on the University Events Center. It looks pretty good, but I desperately want to see a facelift on the existing building as well. It already looks a little funky with the nice Casey building next door.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Guess the populated campus is about twice as big as it was when I attended and it was definitely a trek even back then. I never really went passed the library which was new at the time. My issue the available parking. Don't know how many times I chanced getting a ticket.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

moore street housing complex coming along quickly:

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

That looks weird. I wonder how they moved the disc golf course around. I am so used to that area being undeveloped

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There is a new May update with an addition. Apparently we have added a Multipurpose Field House to the Plan.

http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr:bf ... y-2016.pdf

Multipurpose Field House
Programmer: TBD CIP Cost: $15,000,000
Status: Texas State University’s much-needed indoor Multipurpose Field House will be at least 212 feet wide and 408
feet long, with an artificial surface similar to the surface at Bobcat Stadium. It will be 50 to 85 feet high to allow for
adequate of height for passing, punting, and kicking. The total project cast for planning purposes is determined to be in the
range of $13 to $15 million dollars. The facility will be available for an array of activities including band practice, ROTC
training, academic classes, intramural sports, and use by the athletics department during inclement weather.
Next Milestone: As part of the Campus Master Plan update, the SmithGroupJJR team will assess options for the best
placement of the Multipurpose Field House.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 am
True Bobcat Fan

lol - just call it an indoor practice facility. this is texas, not maryland.

definitely curious as to where they think that can go.

Tue May 10, 2016 8:47 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It looks like there's a large grassy area beyond the baseball and softball outfield fences, where the railroad tracks split. Is that an existing practice field? Seems like that would be a good spot for this kind of facility. Even better is if they could include locker rooms for the baseball and softball teams.

Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

yes that's the current practice field.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

Page 9 has the first drawing that I have seen of the Strahan renovation - otherwise known as "the University Events Center Expansion."

Tue May 10, 2016 10:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
lol - just call it an indoor practice facility. this is texas, not maryland.

definitely curious as to where they think that can go.

I'm betting the school makes a move on acquiring the section 8 housing by the stadium. The school would essentially be on the hook for building that many replacement units + as many as it takes to get the city to agree to moving it. It would also need to be accessed by public transportation.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Sup T

Tue May 10, 2016 10:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
I'm betting the school makes a move on acquiring the section 8 housing by the stadium. The school would essentially be on the hook for building that many replacement units + as many as it takes to get the city to agree to moving it. It would also need to be accessed by public transportation.

i've heard (probably on here) that is exactly what's happening. not necessarily for this purpose, but that the s8 housing will be acquired by txst.

there is no shortage of worthless land in sm that could be used for the replacement, just a matter of buying it at the right price and making it happen.

Tue May 10, 2016 11:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

Think that I heard that here as well and if true, would be where it should go imo.

Tue May 10, 2016 12:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
there is no shortage of worthless land in sm that could be used for the replacement, just a matter of buying it at the right price and making it happen.

Easier said than done, these days. I'm planning to crossover into land development & infill, and the values are quite inflated. There's a few good candidates though with decent access to groceries, employment opportunity, schools, etc.

I think the SM Housing Authority is interested in a broader relocation of nearly all of their public housing units (these are true public housing, not S8 vouchers). A bunch of them are off River Road and have flooded twice in the last year. I think the ones on LBJ (Chapultepec Homes) may end up in the redrawn floodplain. I suspect you'll see them move over close to Charles Austin's gym on Hunter Road. Not really ideal, but I think it is the most likely landing area based on land cost, availability, etc.

Now I'm kind of curious about it... may give them a call...

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Last edited by bleed gold on Tue May 10, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 10, 2016 12:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

dang, i was actually thinking about the area on mill street before you get to the new apartment complexes, but it looks like someone already had that idea and put a new complex in there too!

Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 pm