Overpass/stadium expansion etc 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Overpass/stadium expansion etc
Did some research yesterday to check on the status of the overpass project and if there was any news regarding future stadium expansion plans and found a couple of documents that may interest everyone.

TxDOT shows approval of the overpass project that should be ready for bid around March.

Also, Texas State's 2014-2019 Capital Improvement Plan (which was last updated in August of last year) shows a budgeted 24 Mil going to the south end zone expansion and then nothing again until 2018 when they consider work on the West side. This surprised me since I really haven't heard any talk of it yet. However, I went to the TSUS project approval spreadsheet and it is on there as well. Unfortunately their doc did not match with our spreadsheet and did not show the Engineering Bldg project, at least for 2014.

I was happy to see the above projects along with the Bobcat Trail Mall still active and believe that they will go a long way in the beautification and marketability of the the school.

Anyone confirm or deny the stadium expansion timeline?

edit: The 2014-2019 TSUS spreadsheet does not show the Engineering project all the way through 2019 when our doc shows it for 2014. Bleed, do you have any info?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Overpass/stadium expansion etc
tpopt wrote:
Did some research yesterday to check on the status of the overpass project and if there was any news regarding future stadium expansion plans and found a couple of documents that may interest everyone.

TxDOT shows approval of the overpass project that should be ready for bid around March.

Also, Texas State's 2014-2019 Capital Improvement Plan (which was last updated in August of last year) shows a budgeted 24 Mil going to the south end zone expansion and then nothing again until 2018 when they consider work on the West side. This surprised me since I really haven't heard any talk of it yet. However, I went to the TSUS project approval spreadsheet and it is on there as well. Unfortunately their doc did not match with our spreadsheet and did not show the Engineering Bldg project, at least for 2014.

I was happy to see the above projects along with the Bobcat Trail Mall still active and believe that they will go a long way in the beautification and marketability of the the school.

Anyone confirm or deny the stadium expansion timeline?

edit: The 2014-2019 TSUS spreadsheet does not show the Engineering project all the way through 2019 when our doc shows it for 2014. Bleed, do you have any info?

The overpass is part of a group of projects in Hays County being bid in March. There are several really great projects in it that will have huge dividends for mobility in eastern Hays County along the 35 corridor.

I'll ask around to see what I can find and also take a look at the documents myself. I'm a little out of the loop these days on their non-transportation capital improvements. Unfortunately, it isn't unusual to see documents conflict like this--the TSUS doesn't do a particularly great job of presenting an informative, consistent & accurate public face when it comes to project financing & timing.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thank you. Personally believe the engineering building to be a big deal and hope our CIP is correct.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The engineering building might be the most important building the school has ever built. Texas St really needs an engineering program to grow. There are endless jobs for engineering majors, its boosts the schools academic ranking, and it can lead to stronger research.

I am excited to see this program grow.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

With the physics and math programs that Texas State/SWT has had over the years (often overlooked because of the number of students/size of each program), we should have no problem using them to help support the building of a really, really good engineering program.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Just did a search to see if I could find some info on the proscenium theatre design that has been included with the renovation of Strahan and came across the below link. It is the 700+ page TSUS Quarterly Board Meeting notes from May of this year. The info below was taken from pages 369 and 370. I am aware that these things are only approvals based on funding but since 20 of the 24 Mil South End Zone project is coming from TSUS bonds, I am assuming that the funding is not a problem. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to higher education finance but I am at least hopeful.

Curious about the west side expansion though. Hasn't the west side already been taken care of? What about the eye sore East side?

http://www.shsu.edu/dotAsset/2d8744ea-5 ... 1992cf.pdf

TxSt- Bobcat Stadium Expansion: South End Zone
$24,000,000
$0
$0
$0
$20,815,000
$3,185,000
$0
$0
Carry Over Amended

TxSt - Engineering & Science Building
$93,000,000
$93,000,000
$0
$0
$0
$0
$0
$0
Carry Over Amended

TxSt - Bobcat Stadium West Side Expansion
$5,061,420
$0
$0
$5,061,420
$0
$0
$0
$0
Carry Over

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

Just a guess...but maybe that $5 million for the West side is for adding another level of suites. Suites are in demand, they bring in money, and $5mm seems like an accurate amount for doing that...

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
Just a guess...but maybe that $5 million for the West side is for adding another level of suites. Suites are in demand, they bring in money, and $5mm seems like an accurate amount for doing that...

Seems like that would be hard to add another level to that side. It would be easier to add suites to the east side or north or south of the west side suites.

Not that the stadium needs more seats but if they expanded I want to see the south get closed to the endzone complex first. Suites on the east with a facade is also up there because it doesn't add many seats but bring revenue.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

From what I can tell...the west side complex was already built to add an additional level of suites. Look at some pictures and you can see what I'm talking about.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Someone help me out here... west side = Old school student section (aka the light side)?

yeah, I'm no geography major... so I'm a bit confused.

If so, I would imagine they ought to be able to do what they did with the old alumni side (the dark side)... Add a "facade" to the outside of it, and build on additional suites (hopefully with the ability to add another tier if necessary).

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Sun sets in the west.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I had to think about it at first but the whole "sun going down in the west thing" as lurker mentions and the fact That the words "West Side Complex" on the new building is what raised my curiosity about the East construction.

Edit: one other positive was that TSUS's notes changed from not having the Engineering bldg project listed at all to having it scheduled in 2015. Optimistic that this will get approval in our next Legislative Session and we can move forward.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

The Aquarena Overpass opened today. Below is video from Keff's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/988485680258043904

https://twitter.com/txst/status/988497737946685445

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:40 pm
SuperCat

this is a pretty big deal

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:57 pm