Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Remember FAU at Wacker Field 2004? 

Is it time for Texas State to commit to moving to BCS?
Yes, we're tired to being little sister... 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
No, lack of competition at this level gives us a chance to win... 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
No opinion, I'm a follower... 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Remember FAU at Wacker Field 2004? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Remember FAU at Wacker Field 2004?
For all those on this site (you know who you are) whining that moving up makes no sense when we can win at D1AA, FAU shows it's possible to compete if you have a pair. As I recall, Schnellenberger and FAU barely got out of San Marcos with a win. It can be done. Think small, be small.

New Orleans Bowl Champs!
Florida Atlantic tops Memphis 44-27 in first-ever bowl appearance
Dec. 22, 2007

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Howard Schnellenberger's reaction to having a bucket of icy sports drink dumped on him showed precisely why Florida Atlantic chose him to build their fledgling football program.

The 73-year-old coach didn't flinch. He'd been there before. Now so has the team he started from scratch.

Rusty Smith threw for 336 yards and a New Orleans Bowl record five touchdowns to lead Florida Atlantic to a 44-27 victory over Memphis on Friday night.

"Obviously, we're really proud," Schnellenberger said. "We have a strong squad. I think we can compete with America."

It was the first bowl game for FAU, which has had a football team for only seven seasons at its Boca Raton, Fla., campus and didn't join the NCAA's Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) until 2005.

The victory was especially sweet for Owls players who had gotten all too used to the comedic refrain, "F-A-who?" when they would visit opponents whose teams had far more tradition.

"People are now going to recognize and know who we are," said DiIvory Edgecomb, who scored two touchdowns and set up two other scores with kickoff returns of 42 and 62 yards.

The game also marked another meaningful step for the young Sun Belt Conference. The league champion has now won three of seven New Orleans Bowls, including the past two by convincing margins, with Troy beating Rice 41-17 last year.

It certainly wasn't the highest-profile bowl victory for Schnellenberger, who led Miami to the 1983 national championship with an Orange Bowl triumph over Nebraska. He is now 5-0 in bowl games over his 23 seasons as a head coach. He won the 1980 Peach Bowl with Miami and two bowl games with Louisville, the 1990 Fiesta Bowl and the 1993 Liberty Bowl.

Still, this one had to be special, given that he is the father of FAU's program and the only head coach the Owls have ever known. The coach spoke warmly of his players, most of them from south Florida, who had faith in him.

"They came in with the understanding that this was an opportunity for them to let their football lives have great meaning," Schnellenberger said. "They knew they were going to have to work harder, sacrifice more, sometimes be made fun of, but kept the faith and grew together until we got to the point now where we can compete with anybody in the nation."

Florida Atlantic started fast and never trailed. Smith had 102 yards passing and a pair of touchdown tosses in the first 10 minutes. His second, a short pass that Edgecomb turned into a 29-yard score, gave FAU a 17-7 lead.

Memphis quarterback Martin Hankins helped the Tigers keep the game competitive into the second half, throwing for 283 yards and three touchdowns. The Tigers got as close as 30-27 after his 6-yard touchdown to Carlos Singleton.

But Memphis' next possession ended with a punt that Wilfred Rivera blocked to give the Owls the ball on the Tigers 19.

Smith cashed in two plays later, finding Jason Harmon in the end zone for a 16-yard score and a 37-27 FAU lead.

Hankins then left the game late in the third quarter with a right leg injury after getting tangled up in a heap of players after releasing a pass.

Reserve quarterbacks Will Hudgens and Matt Malouf finished the game for Memphis, which couldn't muster a significant threat in the final quarter.

"The blocked punt I thought was the turning point in the game," Memphis head coach Tommy West said. "It took the air out of us, then we lost our quarterback and it kind of went downhill from there."

Smith, the game's most valuable player, also had touchdown passes of 4 yards to Charles Pierre, 16 yards to Chris Bonner and 4 yards to Willie Rose.

"I'm so happy to help the team come to a victory in our first bowl appearance," Smith said. "I don't care if I throw for five interceptions. If we win, that's all that matters."

Smith finished the season with 3,688 yards passing and 32 touchdowns. Only a sophomore, he could be around for many more victories in FAU's future.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:39 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

They build a I-A program in less than 10 years... but we've got plans for a baseball/softball complex...

So there! Take that FAU, USF, Boise State, and Marshall.

Our leadership sucks more than a black hole.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Remember FAU at Wacker Field 2004?
SWT85 wrote:
For all those on this site (you know who you are) whining that moving up makes no sense when we can win at D1AA, FAU shows it's possible to compete if you have a pair. As I recall, Schnellenberger and FAU barely got out of San Marcos with a win. It can be done. Think small, be small.

i understand your point about FAU showing that you can move up to FBS and be competitive, and that it takes folks with a vision for that to happen. and good for FAU. i'm glad they had a decent season. but in the end, personally, i'd be much more excited by a sold-out 25,000 seat bobcat stadium and consecutive playoff games with a real chance at a national championship, all of which would also be possible if the right folks and vision were in place. the sun belt and new orleans bowl would do little for me. if that makes me a "small thinker," i don't care. the only thing i'm interested in here is entertainment value.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hold the horses there fellas. Let's not forget that FAU came out of the Sun Belt Conference - a conference that many on here routinely blast as inferior and pitiful - yet they're higher and better than us.

In Florida, you have FAU, FIU and USF that have all made the jump to I-A in the last 4-5 years (I HATE those new designations) and in Texas - nothing.

Why's that? Too many I-A programs already here and talent is spread so thin with the Okies, Arkansans and everybody else raiding our players out of state?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWT85 wrote:

I don't think anyone is totally against a move up if it is done right (ala FAU, Boise, Uconn to a lesser extent, and the like). It is the absurd notion that Teis and Co. are the ones that can make this move up done right.

Also, comparing FAU in a one year window versus our history of ineptitude is misleading at best, and outright deceitful at worst. We almost beat Baylor twice too! We almost beat A&M a couple years ago! But let's forget the Kentucky game, or the game we had against New Mexico (or New Mexico State, I can't remember which one).

Without the proper leadership, funding, and support (which I totally put on the admin to get. I can't imagine giving support or funding if the leadership isn't there), we will probably suffer the same sort of fate we have "enjoyed" in I-AA.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I don't think anyone is totally against a move up if it is done right (ala FAU, Boise, Uconn to a lesser extent, and the like). It is the absurd notion that Teis and Co. are the ones that can make this move up done right.

EXTREMELY well said. We have the resources, alumni, and location (central Texas) for the makings of a VERY successful football and yes, even an athletic program. If the dimly lit bulbs in San Marcos leading this entire operation would grow a pair and/or have the motivation to care, we'd have that success...

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

atxman has dain bramage.

yeah sure. that's it. i'm missing all the fun of being in the below-mediocre sun belt (can more than a handful of people list all the teams in that conference without checking somewhere else first?) with a shot at a below-mediocre "bowl" game (in our best season) in a city that barely exists anymore. yee-ha. so fun.

as i said before, the point he made in the first post is valid. but for me, it all comes down to entertainment value. if we end up going the sun belt route (where north texas has been exiled for the past decade), you'll still see me in the stands as i have been for 20+ years. but i find little about it that excites me.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 pm
Junior Bobcat

FAU is getting tons of positive national publicity for their win in the NO Bowl. Here in Albuquerque they got a very nice story complete with a very large pic.

Not a slam, but the FCS NC game got a very small article as I recall; very little recogniton at all. Not a slam on the FCS, but schools choose FBS for many different reasons. To stay in FCS is best for some schools, but to move to FBS is best for other schools. Texas State would be a good travel partner for NT, but only Texas State leaders can decide what is best for you guys.

Check this FAU article in the NY Post out:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12252007/sp ... n_5269.htm

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:53 am
Junior Bobcat

Post Texas State thread on WAC Board
Thought some of you guys might be interested in an on-going thread on the WAC Board:

Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=253638

Merry Christmas, Guys !!!!

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:01 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]