UTSA attendance 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UTSA attendance
Was only 25K in the Alamodome to watch Rice. This was one of their better games as it featured an in state opponent and technically they still do have postseason to play for. I feel like if we had played Rice yesterday in Bobcat stadium we probably would have at least equaled their 25K in announced attendance.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: UTSA attendance
I seriously doubt Rice would have brought 25K.

I don't know what it was yesterday, but man was our attendance disappointing. Not sure if the weather threat, ACL, UT/OU hangover, state fair, loss to UL, lack of a perceived "big name" coming in, etc., but I was expecting more.

For any students, did the AD talk up the game this last week?

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Rice doesn't have many fans so I doubt they brought more than a few hundred to San Antonio.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 pm
Junior Bobcat

bobcathusband wrote:
Was only 25K in the Alamodome to watch Rice. This was one of their better games as it featured an in state opponent and technically they still do have postseason to play for. I feel like if we had played Rice yesterday in Bobcat stadium we probably would have at least equaled their 25K in announced attendance.

the fact that TXST plays in a conference with no Texas teams is a valid excuse for their bad attendance, but to think you would have 25k vs. Rice is a stretch.

also I find it funny that you are belittling the UTSA attendance when 25k would be the 2nd highest attendance in TXST football history

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm
SuperCat

I think we would easily get 25,000 for a home Rice game. We have a connection with the coaching staff that would bring out many. Plus, the incentive to win would be great.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

geezer wrote:
I think we would easily get 25,000 for a home Rice game. We have a connection with the coaching staff that would bring out many. Plus, the incentive to win would be great.

We had 20,136 for freaking Texas Southern. 22,150 for Wyoming before the rain fucked that up. I think at least 25,000 show up for Rice in Bobcat Stadium.
  • in-state rival increases local interest (they are a legit baseball rival already) and visiting fans (Rice has a lot of alumni in Austin and nearby Houston)
  • coaching connection to David Bailiff likely results in additional press coverage (which means more awareness from casual fans)
  • Rice is a pretty decent team these days and a lot more people are getting to know that
  • Rice is 5-2 and will be bowling this year; they should probably be 6-1 and played TAMU reasonably well compared to others

UTSA's attendance was pretty high for a while there, but I think this game against Rice is starting to show some of the damage in terms of fan support following losses. I can't find UTSA info for this season, but their startup season averaged somewhere around 35,000. In hard numbers UTSA looks fine with 25,000, but you're talking about a 30% attendance drop against an in-state team. Plus, 25,000 looks pretty sparce & uninspring in the cavernous dome. 25,000 in a more compact outdoor facility is a freakin' party atmosphere.

Maroon glasses off... I really am honestly surprised UTSA didn't pull around 34,000 for the game against Rice; I thought they had enough engaged local support to hit that number for an in-state rivalry game given that our game at the dome last year pulled 39,032 despite both teams having no bowl hopes and losing records.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My personal opinion?

The newness has worn off, and now the diehards are showing up for the game. The casual bandwagon fans have jumped off and are waiting for the wins to come for UTSA.

How that translates to us: They have a LOT more diehard fans than we do.

Whether we would have pulled 25k for Rice. Depends on how we were doing before the game. If instead of Georgia State, we played Rice? Nope. Don't think so. Figure we would have been around 18k for that game. If we played Rice at home instead of the Cajuns on the road? Yup. I'd say 25k was conservative.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:10 pm
Junior Bobcat

29,214 was our season average

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Irish Rowdy wrote:
29,214 was our season average

Excellent job down in San Antonio. Truly, it's really impressive.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Very surprised that they only drew 29,494 for Kansas State.
One would think that Bobcat Stadium would have sold out for KSU.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

ThunderCat wrote:
Very surprised that they only drew 29,494 for Kansas State.
One would think that Bobcat Stadium would have sold out for KSU.

Without a doubt KSU would've been a sellout for us. I was shocked to see utsa only drew 29k for that game. Less than 5k more than we drew for a no-name Prairie View team.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

I would go as far to say even in our current state of affairs we would sellout for any Texas opponent (probably even most of the G5s take away UTEP) and all the out of state P5s (take away maybe a few of the irrelevant B1G and ACC football dwellers). Guess we will see soon enough when previously 2-10 bobcats open at home against 12-2 UofH in September 2016

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:07 pm