Canyon Coogs getting Red Turf 
Junior Bobcat

Post Canyon Coogs getting Red Turf
* this is just a mock up.

Comal ISD schools - NB Canyon, Smithson Valley, and Canyon Lake are all replacing their turf for next season.

Canyon has decided to copy Eastern Washington and go with Red Turf, and black endzones.

SV was going to put down Navy turf, but it was too impractical because of its heat absorption.

KSAT Video - http://www.ksat.com/video/25855348/index.html
NB Newspaper - http://herald-zeitung.com/sports/local_ ... 03286.html

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:08 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Canyon Coogs getting Red Turf
They may as well be advertising that the district has too much money and they are trying to figure out ways to burn money right in front of the taxpayers of the district.

I can't figure why school districts in the state are considering cutting teaching jobs, but then blowing money on multiple monuments to their respective football programs.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:
They may as well be advertising that the district has too much money and they are trying to figure out ways to burn money right in front of the taxpayers of the district.

I can't figure why school districts in the state are considering cutting teaching jobs, but then blowing money on multiple monuments to their respective football programs.

This kind of crap is a big reason I moved out of Comal ISD. This kind of irresponsible spending (or the perception thereof) is inexcusable. Especially since I have very solid memories of the crappy lab equipment, band instruments in disrepair (and an undersized bandhall with a wicked mold/mildew problem) and teachers buying all sorts of supplies out of their own pocket at Smithson Valley. I could go on for days about that damn school district.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

why red turf!? to be fair it can only be considered a waste of tax payer money if it is way more expensive than green turf. also don't forget that football can actually make money for the school, where the band and fancy lab equipment cannot. but yeah, red turf, not a fan.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

When amortized over the life of the turf I am hoping the additional publicity and student pride will justify the extra expenditure.

The student's main fear seems to be having to play on a pink field once the sun fades the red.......

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I ask this honestly: Is the cost of red turf significantly different than green turf?

I wouldn't think it would be, but then again, I've never purchased turf before.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I ask this honestly: Is the cost of red turf significantly different than green turf?

I wouldn't think it would be, but then again, I've never purchased turf before.

Honestly, it is probably marginally more expensive. However, I'm not even sure that turf was four years old that they are replacing--I know the SV turf didn't look remotely worn the last time I was over there about a year ago at field level, and I think artificial turf is typically expected to last 10 years in a high school environment. Replacing it when it isn't needed yet is the real issue, but replacing it with colored turf carries a visual frivolous perception that will be remembered for bond elections for real projects benefiting education--I know I can easily see an anti-tax campaign built around the topic, and I'm not even remotely conservative when it comes to local taxes.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

judging by the construction going on there, it seems bond money came through from the district that was probably voted on 10 years ago. when the money finally comes through, whatever the bond money was originally passed for is going to get it. it is what it is.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
However, I'm not even sure that turf was four years old

That was my initial reaction but then did the mental math and determined the original turf to have been installed about 8 years ago. Time flies....

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 am