West Texas A&M rumors / would you consider 

Would you downsize your football capacity for an athletic village?
yes 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
no 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 16

West Texas A&M rumors / would you consider 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post West Texas A&M rumors / would you consider
Quote:
Since the "secret" is out, let me tell you what I know:

This is a capital expansion project that has never been seen before in the D-2 world. It's a $50 million project ($20 million of which is already committed by a large corporation), that will include:

- an entire new athletic village/complex on campus, that will be located NORTH of the the activities center, NOT east of the First United Center.

- the athletic complex will include:
- a new baseball stadium
- a new track stadium (WT is bringing back track and field) with seating
for 800.
- 3 new softball fields
- a new football stadium that is with seating on 3 sides, that will seat
12,000 people, and will have a state-of-the-art press facility, as well as
luxury boxes. From what I have heard, this will be somewhat similar to the SMU stadium with brick columns
surrounding, but this is purely speculative and 3rd hand info. on my part.
- a pedestrian mall that will meander throughout the complex, leading to
the stadium, that will include sculptures and fountains.
- new strength and conditioning facilities
- new athletic offices
- the entire complex will be surrounded by black wrought iron fencing

To put this capital project in perspective, Nebraska just completed a $60 million capital project to their facilities. I've seen what this kind of jack will pay for.

To all of you WT faithful, this deal IS GOING TO HAPPEN, and it is absolutely going to be FIRST CLASS all the way. It is in NO WAY going to be a step "backwards"; it will be about a 2 mile step FORWARD.

While the stadium seating will be smaller, it will be easily expandable in the future if attendance/ticket sales warrant.

Good things are coming!

P.S. They are spending $$$ on the WT campus like it's going out of style: New dorm being erected right now, soon-to-be-announced plans to RAZE two dorms and build a brand new, 500-room (yes, 500) freshman dorm.

West-Texan, if you don't think things are happening at WT, you need to go down and take a quick walk around. Go check out that Fine Arts Center, and the pedestrian mall with the $300,000 hand carved granite buffalo, complete with giant fountain.

There have been rumors afoot over on the Division 2 messageboard that a big change was about to occur at West Texas A&M University relating to their athletic department. WT saw a resurgence in their football program back in 2005 and some of their fans have called for a move back to Division 1 (they were part of the MVC conference during the 80s, and some fans want to go FCS).

Currently WT plays at Kimbrough Stadium, which was built in 1959 and holds 20,000 people. They own the stadium, but signed a lease to Canyon ISD for 99 years back during the lean years. There is roughly 90 years left on the lease and a large number of improvements that need to occur at Kimbrough including ADA compliances.

My question is this, would you be willing to play in a smaller venue, while SMISD continues to play @ Bobcat Stadium in order to obtain all of the above mentioned perks?

Also, lets say you compare this to our current push for FBS, would you call $50M of improvements ($20M from donation) to our athletics a step backwards if it meant a smaller stadium?

Fri May 25, 2007 11:05 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm not sure I would pay to downsize any facility. That is the only game for miles around and based on the attendance they were getting in '05, I think it would be a mistake to shrink the facility. However, I will qualify by saying I am not at all familiar with their current stadium and it could be a turd for all I know that might have to be razed to expand anyway. Regardless, I would recommend biting the bullet and building to existing capacity.

I don't see the lease as a huge limiting factor--they could renegotiate to sell the old stadium to the district.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri May 25, 2007 1:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm not sure I would pay to downsize any facility. That is the only game for miles around and based on the attendance they were getting in '05, I think it would be a mistake to shrink the facility. However, I will qualify by saying I am not at all familiar with their current stadium and it could be a turd for all I know that might have to be razed to expand anyway. Regardless, I would recommend biting the bullet and building to existing capacity.

I don't see the lease as a huge limiting factor--they could renegotiate to sell the old stadium to the district.

Fri May 25, 2007 3:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Thu May 31, 2007 10:59 am
True Bobcat Fan

A major difference between TXST and WT is that WT is all the Amarillo area and Panhandle has as far as non-high school local sports (aside from a minor league hockey team) so they probably will have much more community and region-wide support on such a move.. That is definetely not the case at TXST...sadly. It should be at least in Hays County but it's not.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

A major difference between TXST and WT is that WT is all the Amarillo area and Panhandle has as far as non-high school local sports (aside from a minor league hockey team) so they probably will have much more community and region-wide support on such a move.. That is definetely not the case at TXST...sadly. It should be at least in Hays County but it's not.

Amarillo gave some support during the last couple of season for big games and the playoffs, but this is Division 2--If you think that we play teams that nobody has heard of, imagine what its like for locals around D2 schools.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

Slick Shoes wrote:

Amarillo gave some support during the last couple of season for big games and the playoffs, but this is Division 2--If you think that we play teams that nobody has heard of, imagine what its like for locals around D2 schools.

But....they win....and people come no matter who they play. What a novel idea.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I give WT credit. Although I would hate to think about Bobcat Stadium being downsized...I would seriously consider it if the aforementioned additions were thrown in.

With that being said, I don't think I'd want to see DT or LT working with a $50 million or so budget if given the same plan. I really couldn't see them carrying through with the plan without bumbling it somehow. And that's to even say that they would even consider taking on such a project. Lord knows that just getting a new BB/SB complex built has been a headache.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:40 pm