SFA & Sam Clash on Fox Sports Southwest 

Will Sam get Smacked around by the Jacks????
Of Course, they're playing SFA 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
No, they'll just get lucky 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17

SFA & Sam Clash on Fox Sports Southwest 
Junior Bobcat

Post SFA & Sam Clash on Fox Sports Southwest
Lumberjacks & Bearkats Clash on Fox Sports Southwest
SFA radio broadcast returns to KYKS 105 FM

Oct. 19, 2005

The 80th Battle of the Piney Woods: The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack football team will look to bounce back from its disappointing loss to McNeese State, when it travels to Huntsville, Texas to take on rival Sam Houston State. The 'Jacks enter the game with a 4-2 (.667) overall mark and tied for fourth in the Southland Conference with a 1-1 (.500) league mark. Sam Houston State enters the week with a 1-4 (.200) overall record and still looking of its first conference victory (0-2). The game against the Bearkats is scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m. from Bowers Stadium. The game will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest (cable channel 51) and it will mark the second time this season an SFA game has been televised.

Radio Broadcast: The Lumberjacks' game against McNeese State was on Q107 due to the time and venue changes caused by the damaging effects of Hurricane Rita in Lake Charles. Saturday's broadcast of the Sam Houston State game will be back on KYKS 105 FM.

SFA vs. THE BEARKATS: The Lumberjacks are 33-44-2 (.430) all-time against Sam Houston State. The 'Jacks have dropped six of the last nine meetings between the two teams, including a 31-28 decision in Nacogdoches last year. The last time the two teams met in Huntsville, the 'Jacks rallied to record a 34-31 victory. The Lumberjacks are 10-8-1 (.553) against SHSU in Huntsville since 1966.

THE LAST TIME AGAINST SAM HOUSTON STATE: The eighth-ranked Sam Houston State Bearkats came into Nacogdoches and survived a thriller, 31-28, over the 13th-ranked Lumberjacks. It was a classic offensive shootout that saw the two schools rack up more than 900 yards of total offense. The 'Jacks lined up for what would have been a game-tying field goal in the closing moments of the game, but Ryan Rossner's kick was partially blocked to preserve the SHSU victory. Senior quarterback Michael Williams had one of the biggest games of his career completing 27 passes for 303 yards and three touchdowns. Williams' favorite target was Miguel Toulon who caught 10 passes for 109 yards and a TD. Williams also led the 'Jacks' ground game with 19 carries for 43 yards.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I will say that while I don't like either option since it's biased in the nature it was writte, I do believe that SFA will come out on top of this one. They're playing hard this season, and the struggle of SHSU's team to stay afloat this season is a cause for concern. While the players for the Bearkats might be ready for the game, it does nothing good if their coach(es) arent't. I think SFA wins, not a blow out, but not a squeaker, unless SHSU's defense holds up well.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This is a rivalry game and no matter how either team has done in the past, it has been close. The last five times we've had a losing record (sub .500), the Kats and Jacks have played it close except in 1998. It's a rivalry game and it'll be close, good or bad...

1993, Kats go 4-7. Kats lose 24-20 in Nacogdoches
1996, Kats go 4-7. Kats win 14-10 in Nacogdoches.
1998, Kats go 3-8, Kats lose 38-7 in Nacogdoches.
2002, Kats go 4-7. Kats win 10-7 in Nacogdoches.
2003, Kats are 2-9 (3-8 with Nicholls forfeit) and lose 31-34 in H'ville

This game will be close. I could care less about SFA's record and our record, about their strengths, weaknesses and ours. This is a game like none other in the SLC. To say a team is lucky to win this one, whether it SFA or SHSU shows how little one knows about this rivalry game, the emotion, the past (last year ended on a blocked FG for a SHSU win, two years ago ended on a 54 yard FG by a kicker who missed from less than 30 out on two prior attempts).

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:21 pm
Site Admin

Hahahahahaha...3-8 with the Nicholls forfeit eh?

I'll never say that we were anything better than 4-8 in 2003. I will never acknowledge a "forfeit" as a win.

And SFA wins this game, hands down.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

don't we want Sam to come away with this one? It would give SFA two loses, therefore practically taking them out of championship contention. One less team we would have to think about.

I hate to say this, and i never thought i would be, but i'm pullin for sam for the upset.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

don't we want Sam to come away with this one? It would give SFA two loses, therefore practically taking them out of championship contention. One less team we would have to think about.

I hate to say this, and i never thought i would be, but i'm pullin for sam for the upset.

Word

:shootsh:

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

EAT EM UP C/KATS! (that's the ONLY time you'll hear me say that)

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Atleast someone has comonsense on how this rivalry game works...

Stephen F. Austin (4-2) at Sam Houston State (1-4), 7:00 (THU)

The Battle of Piney Woods will always be a big game for both teams, but the Bearkats are already at the "playing for pride" stage of the season. With four losses and two defeats in conference play, SHSU needs to win out and get a ton of help to keep any slim hope of winning the Southland Conference. The loss of Dustin Long and last year’s receiving corps has diminished the Bearkat passing attack, which is averaging slightly over 203 yards per game. Sam Houston’s defense also struggles against the pass, and encounters a Stephen F. Austin offense that ranks 9th in the country with 291.5 passing yards per game. Quarterback Zeke Dixon has already tossed 15 touchdown passes. Though the numbers give Stephen F. Austin the advantage, I’ll go with a hunch on this pick and take Sam Houston State. The Bearkats are due for a better effort, and will be motivated to play well in a rivalry game at home. Sam Houston State holds off the Lumberjacks to win by a field goal.

Prediction: Sam Houston State 27, Stephen F. Austin 24

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 985207.htm

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Good luck to SAM i will be pulling for you guys Thur.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:47 pm
Site Admin

I'm pullin for SAM, even though I think they'll lose.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 pm