Big Sky Conference expands 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Cal Poly Press Conference - WAC, Big Sky, Something Else?
If this involves conference realignment - whether it is the WAC or Big Sky - it will have an immediate impact on TXST and UTSA's goals.

Cal Poly is one of the schools mentioned often for the WAC and if they were to get in the Big Sky (if so - football only presumably), it may be a sign that they are currently out of the running for the WAC (at least in the immediate future). It would also be interesting to see if UC-Davis follows suit for football-only.

If Cal Poly announces a WAC invite, it'd probably catch a lot of people off-guard. I'm not even sure what to think, because Benson made it seem like it would be spring time before expansion was forthcoming...

Could be something else... but would be curious what that something else is.

Any moves related to conferences could make the FCS West interesting. The Great West as a football league could be coming apart at the seams and really force some issues (see the Summit League's interest in sponsoring football, Big Sky expansion efforts, etc.)..

Quote:
Cal Poly interim president Robert Glidden told ESPN Radio 1280 during halftime of Saturday’s game that the university would be making a major announcement regarding the football program at Alex G. Spanos Stadium on Tuesday.

Mustangs athletic director Alison Cone acknowledged the announcement Sunday but could not confirm details.

Cal Poly is one of many schools rumored to change its conference affiliation and to possibly change subdivisions.

The Western Athletic Conference, a Football Bowl Subdivision conference, announced it had put together a search committee to identify potential members this past week. The commissioner of the Big Sky Conference, a 10-team Football Championship Subdivision conference, said in early August it would be open to expansion.

Cone did say that she has met formally with Glidden about conference realignment in the past month.

Read more: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/09/05 ... z0ynNAGzz7

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Cal Poly Press Conference - WAC, Big Sky, Something Else
Seems most discussion centers around an invite to the Big Sky for football. Wonder how UC-Davis is involved in this...

Discussion on WAC forum...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=6318335

Cal Poly forum...

http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com/topic/2 ... tball.html
http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com/topic/2 ... nsion.html
http://calpolymustangs.yuku.com/topic/2 ... rtain.html

Any Given Saturday discussion...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ouncement/
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ce-Tuesday
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... he-Big-Sky

Last edited by TexasTerror on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Could it be stadium expansion similar to our press conference not too long ago?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

YouCanUseaMint wrote:
Could it be stadium expansion similar to our press conference not too long ago?

Could be... I'm interested how much they can make meaningful decisions with an interim president and if there's any impact that has on the situation...

The below link is to a blog that believes it is conference realignment...

http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/coll ... ouncement/

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This should help those interested parties... so 4 p.m. Central time...

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- Cal Poly will conduct a press conference on Tuesday, Sept. 7, at 2 p.m. in the president's suite at Alex G. Spanos Stadium to make a major announcement regarding the Cal Poly football program. The press conference will be conducted by interim president Dr. Robert Glidden, director of athletics Alison Cone and head football coach Tim Walsh. The press conference will be broadcast live and free via video stream on the internet. ...
http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id ... _id=101662

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

trying to keep up with all of this gives me a headache but thanks for the info TT. following...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Salty wrote:
trying to keep up with all of this gives me a headache but thanks for the info TT. following...

If you want me to bring up the ramifications that Cal Poly's announcement (pending what it is) has on the Summit League's football possibilities, the Missouri Valley's football future, the possible end of Great West Football and more... we'll really be dizzy!

The decision could really throw FCS football in the west for a tailspin!

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
Salty wrote:

If you want me to bring up the ramifications that Cal Poly's announcement (pending what it is) has on the Summit League's football possibilities, the Missouri Valley's football future, the possible end of Great West Football and more... we'll really be dizzy!

Honest question here: Are the powers that be as it pertains to FCS football really that concerned with the goings on in California and the other west coast schools? I mean, there seems to be a pretty strong east coast bias in FCS, so I wonder how much they are concerned about it.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
TexasTerror wrote:
Salty wrote:

Honest question here: Are the powers that be as it pertains to FCS football really that concerned with the goings on in California and the other west coast schools? I mean, there seems to be a pretty strong east coast bias in FCS, so I wonder how much they are concerned about it.

Yeah, like they might actually have to consider 3-4 teams from the BSC, for the playoffs, and (gasp) not 6 from the CAA.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:

Is there really anything to be concerned about? Always been fewer teams out in the western portion of the country at the FCS level...

Would be nice if the Great West dissolved and all those D2 teams that have made the move in the last 10-15 years had a legitimate AQ league to play in...

CatMom wrote:
Yeah, like they might actually have to consider 3-4 teams from the BSC, for the playoffs, and (gasp) not 6 from the CAA.

Let's keep in mind that ALL regions are equally represented on the playoff committee.

The problem with the teams out in the FCS West is that because of the travel issues, they are more inclined to play more sub-Div I games and/or more FBS games. The schedules that some of the Great West teams have put together eliminate them from a legitimate shot at a playoff at-large before it begins...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It was a joke! sarcasm....whatever :shootsh:

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:40 pm
Site Admin

They've been talking about the need for rennovating and expanding that stadium for the last couple years, so that's my guess on what its about...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Big Sky is also hosting a press conference... if this is the case, Cal Poly and UC-Davis may be a few more years away from going to the WAC.

Quote:
"Both Cal Poly and the Big Sky Conference have scheduled press conferences for Tuesday afternoon, and though neither body is talking about the subject matter, the timing appears to be related.

The Tribune of San Luis Obispo, Calif., announced that Cal Poly's press conference is set for 3:30 p.m. Mountain time, in the president's suite at Alex G. Spanos Stadium, home to the football Mustangs.

Jon Kasper, assistant commissioner for media relations for the Big Sky, said on Monday, "All I can tell you is the Big Sky will be having a press conference at 1 p.m. tomorrow."

There has been rampant speculation in California that Cal Poly could be part of a conference realignment. That includes a rumor that the Mustangs, as well as UC-Davis, could become either full-fledged or football-only members of the Big Sky.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... 002e0.html

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

The new Big Sky?

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
The new Big Sky?

Just at first glimpse, that would make the Big Sky possibly the strongest conference in FCS. I could see some epic battles for their conference championship.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 am