UTSA loses star recruit to grades 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UTSA loses star recruit to grades
I was looking at the UTSA tailgaters page, and it seems that their star recruit from last year Chris Dorsey didn't qualify and will have to go JUCO. Also it appears that atleast two more of their top recruits could be in the same situation.

http://www.utsatailgaters.com/forums/forums/2/topics/32

http://www.kens5.com/community/blogs/featured-blogs/DAVID-FLORES-Five-Roadrunners-will-play-in-THSCA-all-star-football-game-98823314.html
Quote:
A sixth UTSA signee, Chris Dorsey of Rice Consolidated, will suit up for the South but won’t join the Roadrunners when they start workouts next month. A two-way end, Dorsey said he will attend Blinn College this year after falling short of NCAA academic requirements.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: UTSA loses star recruit to grades
I have seen Dorsey play several times. While he sometimes dominates AA and AAA, I can't figure out how anyone can rate him very high. I don't think UTSA lost a premium recruit, but what the heck do I know.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:55 am
True Bobcat Fan

Lol, they think this kid will automatically come back to utsa. If he is worth anything he won't be back, if he is back well..........not as great as you had hoped.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tw_fatcat wrote:
Lol, they think this kid will automatically come back to utsa. If he is worth anything he won't be back, if he is back well..........not as great as you had hoped.

We have already learned that with the safety from Judson.....

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That sucks for UTSA. But they've gotten plenty of recruits, so I'm sure it's no big loss. It's not like he's a key component of their team yet, so they have time to either adjust accordingly or recruit to replace.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm
SuperCat

meh, not a big deal as far as im concerned. Kids dont qualify all the time, at the end of the days its on the student to get his grades right, or lose the opportunity to play football at a higher division. He is the only one confirmed at this point, but if the other 2 end up in the same boat than so be it, thats on them. UTSA cant overlook the academics in their rush to get football started, gotta do things the right way IMO, and this is part of it. Its not as if he is some 5 star recruit that going to be the face of the program, they will find someone else worthy of that scholy.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

jb4g wrote:
meh, not a big deal as far as im concerned. Kids dont qualify all the time, at the end of the days its on the student to get his grades right, or lose the opportunity to play football at a higher division. He is the only one confirmed at this point, but if the other 2 end up in the same boat than so be it, thats on them. UTSA cant overlook the academics in their rush to get football started, gotta do things the right way IMO, and this is part of it. Its not as if he is some 5 star recruit that going to be the face of the program, they will find someone else worthy of that scholy.

3 star recruits will be the face of your program. 5 stars do not come to schools like UTSA. Sure he isn't yet a part of the program but losing a kid to academics before he ever plays a game is an issue. He was your target now you must fill his spot with a backup plan. It may or may not work out for your team in the long run but more often than not you would like to keep the kids you really wanted. Too many of those and you have issues.

This is Coker recruiting here, hopefully for your team's sake his recruiting strategy has changed tremendously since he sank Miami into oblivion.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jb4g wrote:

Sorry, losing a 3 star recruit for an FCS school is a big loss. I am not saying, that it isn't something that you can't over come, it certainly is. But, to act like it is nothing at all, is crazy....

Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tw_fatcat wrote:
jb4g wrote:

3 star recruits will be the face of your program. 5 stars do not come to schools like UTSA. Sure he isn't yet a part of the program but losing a kid to academics before he ever plays a game is an issue. He was your target now you must fill his spot with a backup plan. It may or may not work out for your team in the long run but more often than not you would like to keep the kids you really wanted. Too many of those and you have issues.

This is Coker recruiting here, hopefully for your team's sake his recruiting strategy has changed tremendously since he sank Miami into oblivion.

Coker's recruiting at Miami was:
#1.) Pay no attention to grades/attitudes, recruit the best players regardless of baggage
#2.) Determine the best players based on using internet services (like Rivals) lists

For ya'lls sake, I hope that he has learned his lesson, and this is an anomaly, not a sign of things to come.....

Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm
SuperCat

sm_bobcat wrote:
jb4g wrote:

Sorry, losing a 3 star recruit for an FCS school is a big loss. I am not saying, that it isn't something that you can't over come, it certainly is. But, to act like it is nothing at all, is crazy....

Dont get me wrong, I would rather hear and see nothing academically related to UTSA players, Id rather they all make the grades and be eligible and this never become an issue. Buts thats not gonna happen, this is part of the process. You win some, you lose some. We lost Dorsey, but we picked up another 3 star in Hall who didnt qualify academically at SMU. I think you guys are jumping on this because its UTSA and you really dont care for us :lol: Coker and his staff apparently took a chance on the kid and he failed to live up to his end of the bargain, and suddenly this means Coker is back to his old ways at Miami?? Bit of a stretch IMO.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:08 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It seems to me that particularly since UTSA isn't playing football now, this is the prime time to take flyers on players with questions.

Think about it: What does him leaving the team mean to them in terms of wins losses this year? NADA.

However, some kids just need a second chance. If they pan out, that's awesome!

UTSA still needs to have quality core players that have no issues as well, just to be sure that they will be on the field when the team plays it's first game, but taking a chance on a couple of guys with character or grade concerns is no biggie, I think.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jb4g wrote:
Dont get me wrong, I would rather hear and see nothing academically related to UTSA players, Id rather they all make the grades and be eligible and this never become an issue. Buts thats not gonna happen, this is part of the process. You win some, you lose some. We lost Dorsey, but we picked up another 3 star in Hall who didnt qualify academically at SMU. I think you guys are jumping on this because its UTSA and you really dont care for us :lol: Coker and his staff apparently took a chance on the kid and he failed to live up to his end of the bargain, and suddenly this means Coker is back to his old ways at Miami?? Bit of a stretch IMO.

It's not as big a stretch as you would make it seem, but in my view, until it happens to three or four kids, I'm not gonna label it a trend at UTSA.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jb4g wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:

I am not saying he IS back to his old ways of recruiting from Miami.... But, given how he was known to recruit at Miami, and given that his first class already has:
#1.) Chris Johnson getting kicked off his team in the middle of the year
#2.) Chris Dorsey failed to qualify academically

I certainly don't see it as a stretch, to wonder if he is back to his old ways.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

he's bringing "thug U" to SA

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 am