UTSA vs Dallas Cowboys 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UTSA vs Dallas Cowboys
Cowboys kickoff party is SA was atended by 22,500 fans.

San Antonio has always been Cowboy country for pro ball. ut for college. UTSA starting up with numerous losing seasons will make the Roadrunners a tuff sell in SA.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:53 pm
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: UTSA vs Dallas Cowboys
Uh, yeah...Attendance of a cowboy pep rally does not indicate anything one way or another to utsa football. Poor post.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think EVERYONE will agree that UTSA's first season will show good attendance pretty much regardless of who they are playing. Hickey and company have made it clear that they want to be FBS, so I think that even if they are mostly FCS teams, folks will understand that it's a stepping stone. I think this because I don't see Hickey et al being quiet about "look, we're still working on it, and soon we'll be at FBS".

So year one... I'm not even really thinking about. I think you'll have good attendance. If you don't, that will blow this theory pure out the window.

Now, the 2nd season, I think everyone agrees is going to be a rough year in terms of attendance. A losing season (which is almost a certainty for a start up, that's not an indictment on UTSA) the first year, the lack of "newness" will cause a bunch of fans to turn away.

So really, it's year 3 that I'm looking at. You should be returning a decent amount of the team that has been together, and in theory (I'm assuming Hickey won't fire Coker after two losing seasons) you'll have the same system in place. You'll also have a decent idea of opponents (a level of familiarity with them).

So yeah, year 3 is the year that says how the attendance will go, which is then tied to the way the team performs.

I don't think you can look at how the city responds to UT as an indicator, nor can you look at the Cowboys. Neither are the true home team.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:36 pm
Junior Bobcat

There are a few things you could potentially look out and try to make an assessment, but I dont think any are truly telling....

Atlanta Falcons games at the dome were pretty packed. The games werent sellouts, but were pretty full. Id say there as 55-60k there, Its not the home team, but it is NFL.

Notre Dame played Washington last year on Halloween. This game was poorly attended.

The Alamobowl is always very well attended, but as with other bowl games, the teams travel.

Its been a long time since the NFL has had any preseason games at the dome, but attenedance has been between 40-63K at those games. (Last one was 2001).

The only true wild card in this whole thing is that none of these have been a San Antonio home team. I am hoping the city takes to it. Tailgating at the Saints games was pretty popular. Cheap tickets and beer at the game will bring in casual San Antonians and families. It's all speculation for now, but we will see what happens.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Went to the first day of Cowboys training camp, there were 30,000+ there for the first practice!!!

There were also signs for UTSA football all over the place in the Alamodome, almost vandalized the place!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
A losing season (which is almost a certainty for a start up, that's not an indictment on UTSA) the first year, the lack of "newness" will cause a bunch of fans to turn away.

Old Dominion and South Alabama don't know much about losing seasons... ;)

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
A losing season (which is almost a certainty for a start up, that's not an indictment on UTSA) the first year, the lack of "newness" will cause a bunch of fans to turn away.

Old Dominion and South Alabama don't know much about losing seasons... ;)

That's super. Sam knows plenty about losing seasons. How's that attendance for you?

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Just got back from a 5 day stint in SA, and I stayed at the same hotel the Cowboys were staying at (even had a drink with Jerry Jones at the bar night before last, also met some Bobcat alums who were there as sports writers covering the team).

I will say that city was pretty hyped about the Cowboys. Everyday there were crowds of people waiting outside our hotel trying to catch a glimpse of the Cowboys our get some autographs, and every news station kept going on about the team practicing in the dome.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
That's super. Sam knows plenty about losing seasons. How's that attendance for you?

Way to go Rev!

You guys love to hate on UTSA, but until you see their finished product - can you truly say anything? Not all start-ups have had losing seasons, particularly lately (i.e. Old Dominion, South Alabama. UTSA has also had a longer time and much more well-known entity behind their start-up than both programs I mentioned.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Way to go Rev!

You guys love to hate on UTSA, but until you see their finished product - can you truly say anything? Not all start-ups have had losing seasons, particularly lately (i.e. Old Dominion, South Alabama. UTSA has also had a longer time and much more well-known entity behind their start-up than both programs I mentioned.

Quite to the contrary, I haven't hated on UTSA yet. But I'm starting to hate on you now, because well... you've ceased to be useful, and are reverting to tool status.

You're right, though. Not all start-ups have had losing seasons. But the VAST MAJORITY have. Therefore, it's not unreasonable at all to set expectations for the university to struggle on the field in the first couple of years.

However, it is unreasonable to assume that they will go undefeated, or even have a winning record in their inaugural season. Yet, you stick to that, mainly because it irritates people here.

Well, kudos, Terror, you've succeeded in irritating me now as well. Not because you are sucking the nuts of UTSA harder than even most UTSA folks, but because you are so blinded by your hatred for my university that you have become just a caricature of an actual Sam poster.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

There's absolutely no way UTSA will succeed. They set the bar too damn high and casual fans in SA have absolutely no patience. I guess the stadium not being anywhere near the campus doesn't matter for a commuter school, but that sucks too.

You can give me that "football is king" crap all you want, but someone needs to explain to me how a town with four NBA titles has never had their "local school" face UNC/KU/Duke in a game at the AT&T Center. Oh, schools are coming to SA for football for recruiting purposes? Then why doesn't one of the schools in Dallas or Houston use their pro stadiums and invite BCS teams?

You're asking a town full of frontrunners to put more 10,000 more people in the stands than they average for a Spurs playoff game. I challenge someone to show me one game on this schedule that will excite a casual fan that's been listening to the hype machine down there. I am not talking about a bunch of dorks like us that get butthurt when someone calls us Division 2 - just some average guy that watches the Cowboys and went to SAC.

Sept. 3: Northeastern State
Sept. 10: McMurry
Sept. 17: at Southern Utah
Sept. 24: Bacone College
Oct. 1: at Sam Houston State
Oct. 8: South Alabama
Oct. 15: at UC Davis
Oct. 22: at Northwestern State
Oct. 29: Georgia State
Nov. 12: at McNeese State
Nov. 19: Minot State

You can't "OMG OMG Arizona / K-State / Baylor in seven years" and then tell a typical San Antonian to come watch South Alabama kick the Roadrunners collective teeth in. They'll wait for whomever the larger school is to come to town and then debate going on a lark, or just stick to watching UT on their 57" LCD set, like they've done for years.

Oh, and Terror - the way to do this (and I think you'll agree) is to create excitement for your school, not for who they can potentially play. Problem is, most people raised in San Antonio have viewed UTSA as a joke since they were old enough to notice. They want to be big time so bad that they don't even dignify the process and Coker is no Bill Curry.

It's not like State is perfect but at least we're not announcing to the world our huge plan to fvck up. I went to the Spurs board - that deserves an LOL on its own - and read how delusional these guys are. It's pathetic in a funny way, not pathetic in a sad way.

"We're going to Katy!"

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

jack wrote:
Sept. 3: Northeastern State
Sept. 10: McMurry
Sept. 17: at Southern Utah
Sept. 24: Bacone College
Oct. 1: at Sam Houston State
Oct. 8: South Alabama
Oct. 15: at UC Davis
Oct. 22: at Northwestern State
Oct. 29: Georgia State
Nov. 12: at McNeese State
Nov. 19: Minot State

There is potential for 4-5 wins on that schedule even for a startup.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:56 pm
Junior Bobcat

http://www.kens5.com/sports/DAVID-FLORE ... 76639.html

Yep...............no more versus.

:sombrero:

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
TheRevSWT wrote:
TexasTerror wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Way to go Rev!

Quite to the contrary, I haven't hated on UTSA yet. But I'm starting to hate on you now, because well... you've ceased to be useful, and are reverting to tool status.

You're right, though. Not all start-ups have had losing seasons. But the VAST MAJORITY have. Therefore, it's not unreasonable at all to set expectations for the university to struggle on the field in the first couple of years.

However, it is unreasonable to assume that they will go undefeated, or even have a winning record in their inaugural season. Yet, you stick to that, mainly because it irritates people here.

Well, kudos, Terror, you've succeeded in irritating me now as well. Not because you are sucking the nuts of UTSA harder than even most UTSA folks, but because you are so blinded by your hatred for my university that you have become just a caricature of an actual Sam poster.

Alt + F4

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
There is potential for 4-5 wins on that schedule even for a startup.

They've scheduled some VERY weak non-Div I schools (NEastern, McMurry, Bacone and Minot). The fact they have another start-up (Georgia State) could go either way. That's your 4-5, I presume.

I can see them sneaking in a win against any of the other teams. McNeese knows how to take one to an upstart and a win over a SHSU, NWST or one of the GWFC teams wouldn't be too surprising.

TheRevSWT wrote:

Never said they would go undefeated, but based on their scheduling - a winning record is not inconceivable. It is just a matter of how one goes about scheduling...

Someone else posted the schedule in this thread and with the amount of non-Div I schools that are not anywhere near the top of their respective leagues, UTSA should be competitive and favored in those games. They can probably find an additional two wins in their remaining contests...it would not surprise anyone if they did.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 am