Maybe We Should Look Into This Guy Wymer 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Maybe We Should Look Into This Guy Wymer
UTPA has let a few players go, some of them disgruntled after another bad season. Think there'd be interest in this kid Wymer?
http://www.themonitor.com/sports/gawlik ... wymer.html
He absolutely shut down the Bobcats in the second game of the season. I saw the game and he pitched lights out- only 4 hits allowed in 8 innings.

Quote:

EDINBURG — The University of Texas-Pan American baseball team still has fifth-year coach Willie Gawlik, but the Broncs have granted the release of four players, including freshmen standout pitcher Josh Wymer and freshman first baseman Dominic Tognietti.

After the Broncs finished 17-39 this past season, Wymer and Tognietti each asked for their releases from Gawlik during their season-ending player evaluations.
UTPA also confirmed Tuesday that Gawlik will return to his coaching duties for the 2007-08 school year.

“There was a lot of conflict between our coaches and players,â€￾ said Wymer, who posted a 5-7 record to go along with his 3.66 ERA. “There was a lot of conflict between our coaches. There’s a lot of finger pointing when you’re on a losing team and getting blown out like we were. But there were a lot of (coaching) decisions that were questionable and most weren’t even necessary.

“In the major leagues, the manager is the first to go when a team isn’t winning. When you look at (Gawlik’s) winning percentage, he’s around 30 percent the last time I checked. Whether it’s his fault or not, the program isn’t responding.

“You know, that tells me it’s time for a change.â€￾

Gawlik brushed Wymer’s comment aside.

“Everyone has an opinion,â€￾ Gawlik said. “I never comment on personnel issues.â€￾

Gawlik, who has one year remaining on his two-year contract that will pay him a base salary of $54,636 during his final season, owns a 99-171 record in his five seasons at UTPA for a winning percentage of 36.7 percent. During that time, his teams own a road record of 26-114 — a winning percentage of 18.6 percent — and finished just 2-27 away from home this past season.
Despite his losing record on the field, Gawlik has been in the good graces with the UTPA administration.

The coach — a starting outfielder on the Broncs’ 1971 College World Series team under legendary coach Al Ogletree — always has played a demanding schedule at UTPA. This season the Broncs played the 91st toughest schedule out of 291 NCAA Division I teams. Gawlik’s theory of thinking is that by playing a difficult schedule the Broncs would need between “40 and 45 winsâ€￾ to qualify for the NCAA regionals, he has said in the past. And considering UTPA’s lack of conference, it’s a valid argument.

“I feel like we’ve accomplished so much here, playing a great schedule throughout,â€￾ Gawlik said.

Gawlik also is known for his fund-raising ability — over $200,000 during the past five years — and his effort in improving the program’s academics. The semester before he arrived, the team had just one player with a 3.0 GPA or higher. After the conclusion of his fall-winter semester in December, the Broncs had 15 players achieve that mark.
Wymer, as was the case with Tognietti, didn’t like the direction the program was heading.

“The one conversation I remember was after we lost (9-2) to TCU during our final weekend,â€￾ Wymer said. “With the team gathered around, Coach Gawlik told us that if we take away the first three innings, we only lost by one run. I couldn’t believe he said that. If that was what he was trying to do, lose by one run, then we obviously had different goals.

“I’ve lost before, but I’ve never been blown out so many times as this season.â€￾

Wymer also believes a coaching change would have done the trick this past season.

“We had the talent out there. I think if we had a different coach, we would have had a different season,â€￾ Wymer said. “When I first got here in the fall, (teammates) were telling me all this negative stuff about Coach Gawlik and the program. I tried not to buy into it. They told me I’d be amazed by what I would see. They told me I’d be blown away. And I really tried not to buy into it, because I knew once I did it would be all downhill from there. And it was. One month into the season I bought into it. You couldn’t help it.

“They were right, though. There was some stuff I’ll probably never see again. And until the players get mentally stronger, if Coach Gawlik is still there and there’s all this dissension on the team, then nothing is going to change down there.â€￾

Like Gawlik, Street declined to comment when informed about Wymer’s statements on the UTPA baseball program.

Humble, that's me... Mr. Modesty. When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest.

Thu May 31, 2007 10:21 pm