Cat Caravan 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Cat Caravan
Is anyone from Dallas or Fort Worth area planning on attending the Cat Caravan in the coming days?

There's a gap in time before they make it over to my neck of the woods and I'd be interested to hear what to expect and any feedback from their experience.

:texasstate:

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Cat Caravan
Just got back from the Cats Caravan in Austin. Event was at the Hyatt Regency downtown. By the way, I was told that this event is replacing the summer luncheon series that the Bobcat Club hosts. Texas State wanted to get most of the groups in front of alums at once (Bobcat Club, Alum Association, University Advancement, etc.). I don't think it was advertised as such and I think there will be many folk in the summertime wondering when the luncheons are going to happen.

A few take aways:
- Not a very large crowd. Since the appeal was to more than just athletics, I was hoping that their would be a larger crowd. I think over half of the crowd was university employees repping their work group. I think there was maybe 150 in the room. Seemed about half the size of last year's summer luncheon.

- I may be in the minority here, but I think they should try doing something like this on a Saturday afternoon/evening. It is such a pain to try to get downtown and it is just too much to cram into a 1-1.5 hour event. I'd love to bring my family and spend so time taking it all in.

- I sat at the Bobcat Club table and they have several student athletes at various tables (Football's Hayden Lambert was seated with us). Other athletes I caught were Jack Rhoades, Emani Gant, Luis Rubin).

- Larry said the wall is coming down and the only ETA I heard was 2018. Said the wall is coming down and the seating will be bowled in.

- Coaches that spoke include Coach Kaspar and Coach Chisum. Coach Kaspar always grabs me as someone that would rather be coaching than talking to fans/boosters/alums, etc., but I truly believe he will get our program headed in the right direction. If you've never heard Coach Chisum speak, you need to hear her. She holds a room like no other and her energy and love for Texas State is unmatched.

- Ernie Dominguez with the Austin AA mentioned that their are 160K living alums (85% of those living in Texas) and Austin has 52K alums alone.

- Ernie also mentioned that last year they went from around 4K to over 7K AA members (42% increase Y/Y).

Anyone else attend? Thoughts? Questions?

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I have really mixed feelings about that damn wall. I hate it, but I suspect I would hate the empty seats there even more.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

atxman wrote:
I have really mixed feelings about that damn wall. I hate it, but I suspect I would hate the empty seats there even more.

Hopefully, by the time the wall comes down (per voltron, 2018), Kaspar will have us playing REALLY good ball, and attendance will increase.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I totally forgot. Larry also mentioned that the city of Austin has been trying to get a bowl game added for several years. He said Texas State, along with the Sun Belt conference, have been trying to aid in Austin's efforts (whatever that means). He said a bowl game could be added as soon as next year. Stay tuned folks.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

atxman wrote:

I'm used to seeing empty seats. I think the wall looks too high school though and doesn't present us as a high-caliber basketball program, which in my opinion is worse.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We could go to three walls.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:00 am