Vote: for alumni only 

Would you rather have the Alumni Association spend 15 million on a new Alumni Center or for Athletic Facility Expansion at Bobcat Stadium and the baseball complex?
Alumni Center 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Athletic Facilities 90%  90%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 58

Vote: for alumni only 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I need more information before I vote. Where is the $$ coming from and can it go to athletic facilities? Obviously athletic facilities are in great need, but if the money is earmarked for this project and this project only, then I would go for the Alumni Center versus not getting anything at all.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I need more information before I vote. Where is the $$ coming from and can it go to athletic facilities? Obviously athletic facilities are in great need, but if the money is earmarked for this project and this project only, then I would go for the Alumni Center versus not getting anything at all.

I think as sherwood said in a diff thread, it's all going for the alumni center anyway.

This was just a fun vote to see how out of wack the alumni association's priorities are.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

All I know, is that it has been in the planning stages for a long time. The plans are being revised some. The web site you gave should have alerted everyone to what was coming.Well, it is here. I agree the field should be updated some and who's to say it won't be. The coach interview has me a bit rattled right now. Doubled edged sword. We all want coach to stay and we all want what's best for him.If he decides to leave, if indeed he does , and I hope like the dickens he does not,but if he does, I will support him, cause he is a Bobcat Brother and a real good guy.I sure would like another opportunity to stand in the middle of the field with another championship and have the stands full of Bobcats at the top of their lungs screaming Texas State. That was something I will never forget,cause it brought out the very best in our school.Please let it happen again.I know that sounds a little passonate,so be it. eat'em up cats

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Just put the Alumni Center in Bobcat Stadium. Problem solved.

:clap:

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Just put the Alumni Center in Bobcat Stadium. Problem solved.

:clap:

BRILLIANT!

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:35 pm
Site Admin

The $15mill is coming from a private donor, or atleast a good portion of it. When a private donor wants to build something that needs to be done you dont tell them "No, I want a baseball stadium instead."

I appreciate the donor's contribution and look forward to visiting the Alumni Center.

If you wonder why the Athletics Department cant recieve similar donations there is only 1 place to look.

Last edited by Jody on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The $15 is coming from a private donor, or atleast a good portion of it. When a private donor wants to build something that needs to be done you dont tell them "No, I want a baseball stadium instead."

I appreciate the donor's contribution and look forward to visiting the Alumni Center.

If you wonder why the Athletics Department cant recieve similar donations there is only 1 place to look.

From my REALLY brief conversation with a lady in the Alumni Association, they haven't started fundraising for it yet. She was just a low level clerk, but she indicated to me that they would begin fundraising this semester on it.

So, I dunno.

But yeah, obviously, if a donor came up and said "I want to build the nicest, swankiest pisser in Texas, and I wanna put it in Derrick Hall" they should do it. Anything to upgrade the facilities is always a bonus.

However, if what that lady told me was correct, then they are trying to raise money for the Alumni Center, which means they are soliciting expressly for that, and not for general donations (which I believe we all agree should go towards supporting the athletics department).

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:23 pm
Site Admin

My info is from the Austin Alumni Mixer on January 11th. The person who told the group seems to be in the know and is fairly high up in the food chain. RevSWT PM me if you want the name and number so you can call or email the person for verification.

Better yet I am inviting you to the february alumni lunch at Serrano's. If you work close to downtown Austin then I expect to see you there.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

sounds like some Strutter mischief to me........but if that is what the money was given for thats what we get.........and I'm sure I'll go to stuff there, I'm about anywhere there's free food and drink,

IF I were going to be honest about the whole deal, I kinda like the special collections and some of the other stuff at the library, and while I really enjoy athletic events, I also like to take the wife to the occassional campus musical/theatre show, or to see some other thing held at the university, we really had a good time at the barber shop quartet con they had a couple years back, wasn't anything what I expected, you should go if they do it here again, I even like the speakers some of the departments bring in evenings, we even go to church on campus

seriously we knew when we decided to move from austin to here that we would use the university as a primary means of activity and entertainment, it's close by, inexpensive, ALWAYS something to go to, seriously you students, you couldn't possibly even see and do all the stuff res life, athletics, intramural, etc. the university makes available to you, not to mention the area surrounding san marcos.....and so what if it isn't pro sports or snotty austin theatre, IMO it's just as good and at a tiny fraction of the cost, what I'm saying is.........variety is good.

I want athletics and facilities, oh man a jumbotron PLEASE....but I like a little variety as well, I don't always eat the frito pie...........sometimes I'll have the funnel cake if the line is not too long

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My info is from the Austin Alumni Mixer on January 11th. The person who told the group seems to be in the know and is fairly high up in the food chain. RevSWT PM me if you want the name and number so you can call or email the person for verification.

Better yet I am inviting you to the february alumni lunch at Serrano's. If you work close to downtown Austin then I expect to see you there.

My office is on the 360 bridge, so depending on the date, I should be able to make it.

And I am not 100% sure of the validity of my "source" (for lack of a better term, cause really, can the chick that just answers the phone really be considered a source?). That's why I clarified where I got the information from, because well... that chick could have just been trying to get my digits (that sneaky minx).

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Anybody got any new info on this Alumni Center?

Wasn't somebody supposed to speak about it during some Houston mixer?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It's an Alumni/Visitor Center...when they first were working on the idea, they kept calling it the "welcoming point of the university."

http://www.shsu.edu/~visitor/

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 pm
Site Admin

SHSU just opened one of these things...

It's an Alumni/Visitor Center...when they first were working on the idea, they kept calling it the "welcoming point of the university."

http://www.shsu.edu/~visitor/

No,No,No. We have a visitors center that is part of our LBJ student center. The thing is huge.

We are talking about a Alumni center. An Alumni House if you will. It should be awesome. I for one cant wait.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
I'd rather see Athletic facility related improvements

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

My belief is that the purpose for the Alumni Center is to attract more money from SWT/TXST Alumni or other interested parties/students. My other belief is that winning sports programs do a better job than an Alumni Center could. Some smart person out there had to have conducted a study to show how winning sports programs bring the cash into the University thru proud alumni. Will I visit the new Alumni Center?...probably...Will I be proud of it?...right now, probably not... Would I be willing to give a little more to The University with several continuing conference winning programs..you bet your @$$. Put the money towards athletic facilities. Now the following isn't an E=mc2 type of formula, but it seems easy enough for my noggin to understand...

More $$$ towards Athletic Facilities = Attracting better athletes

Better athletes = Winning sports programs

Winning sports programs = Proud Alumni & Attracting better athletes

Proud Alumni = Mo' money for The University

The athletics cycle perpetuates itself... once it starts to run efficiently

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:10 pm