Vote: for alumni only 

Would you rather have the Alumni Association spend 15 million on a new Alumni Center or for Athletic Facility Expansion at Bobcat Stadium and the baseball complex?
Alumni Center 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Athletic Facilities 90%  90%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 58

Vote: for alumni only 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm over my old argument of the donation to athletics or alumni house if it is indeed coming from a single donor, I'm now more interested in specifics.

Anybody have any links to where I can see specifics or proposed pictures or anything?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm
Site Admin

Go to the Alumni House and ask if you can see some drawings for the new Alumni Center. They should be able to help you.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Go to the Alumni House and ask if you can see some drawings for the new Alumni Center. They should be able to help you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are kidding....

right?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The house across the street from Subway? I might do that one of these days.

Something tells me they'll just look at me blankly and tell me to send so-and-so an email.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:11 am
Site Admin

bobcatalum05 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are kidding....

right?

NO!

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:16 am
Site Admin

bobcatalum05 wrote:

The house across the street from Subway? I might do that one of these days.

Something tells me they'll just look at me blankly and tell me to send so-and-so an email.

Thats the place. If no one helps you ask to speak with Kevin Gilley of the Alumni Association. He will try to help you any way he can.

Before Malleus Chimes in, I personally know the guy and I believe in the work he is doing for the Alumni Association. He hasnt been in the position long, but I expect him to do a good job. Kevin is a good guy and he will shoot you straight.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm over my old argument of the donation to athletics or alumni house if it is indeed coming from a single donor, I'm now more interested in specifics.

I would bet a large sum of money that they don't have an individual donor to cover the entire amount. If anything, they would be using (wasting) money on this building through monies raised through the upcoming Capital Campagin.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:28 am
Site Admin

MaximumBobcat wrote:

I would bet a large sum of money that they don't have an individual donor to cover the entire amount. If anything, they would be using (wasting) money on this building through monies raised through the upcoming Capital Campagin.

The large sum of money will be a part of the capital campaign. Hopefully everything works out. Why is everyone so against a nice alumni building. Has anyone seen A&M's. Its a place for alumni to come back to the University. A place that is still yours after you leave. It will be one of the first things you see when you get to campus coming from Aquarena Springs. Please tell me those Married Living dorms arent doing it for you.

LBJ's house is a great piece of history that needs to stay on campus. Try hosting an alumni event in it though. It needs to be a museum, and the alumni center needs to be a nice building that can host functions, be a part of the game day atmosphere, and be a place for all alumni to come back to.

LT needs to go out and build(fund) the BB/SB complex, and the Alumni Association needs to raise the money to build the alumni center. There is enough money out there for both.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:39 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Kevin Gilley is a good guy and the Alumni House will be built for sure and they have the design already. It is huge.They probably do have pics at the Alumni House.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:31 am
Site Admin

But I also think that the Athletic Department needs its OWN capital campaign. It does not need to be riding the coattails of a University-wide funds drive just because Teis cannot develop a relationship with donors.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The large sum of money will be a part of the capital campaign. Hopefully everything works out. Why is everyone so against a nice alumni building. Has anyone seen A&M's. Its a place for alumni to come back to the University. A place that is still yours after you leave. It will be one of the first things you see when you get to campus coming from Aquarena Springs. Please tell me those Married Living dorms arent doing it for you.

LBJ's house is a great piece of history that needs to stay on campus. Try hosting an alumni event in it though. It needs to be a museum, and the alumni center needs to be a nice building that can host functions, be a part of the game day atmosphere, and be a place for all alumni to come back to.

LT needs to go out and build(fund) the BB/SB complex, and the Alumni Association needs to raise the money to build the alumni center. There is enough money out there for both.

I not against it per se, I am just not for it. Of all the things this university needs to spend money on, an alumni center is not one of them. That is a luxury which cannot be afforded right now. They need to upgrade athletics facilities, academic facilities, grow the endowment, beef up graduate programs, increase professor salaries, and a whole host of other things before an alumni center is funded. If an alum wants to drop 15 large to build one, fine with me. However, it should not be a part of the captial campaign.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 am