Nephew's 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 36

Best Bar in San Marcos 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I would say the Tavern

Of interest:

1. Herbert's sucks now

2. Mana's and Cancun Rob's rock

3. Gill's is on it's way to becoming a chain- slowly. Look for one by Wall Mart in the next 3- 5 yrs.

4. Check out the U- Star today. There is an article about getting city input on fixing up downtown. "business hours" (bar hours) could be a hot topic. I say allow only restaurants, boutiques/shops, bed&breakfasts, bars and a few residences to set up shop in a certain radius of the square. It would go a long way to keeping San Marcos' identity over the next 20 years as this entire area become sone big city. Get involved!

Questions:

1. Could we stick a Hooters or "gentleman's" club out near the Outlet Mall and out of reach of certain zoning?

2. Why don't we have Boulders? (30 packs of Keystone Light?)

3. Why don't we have an old style Irish pub? (No Bennigan's does not count. I think it would go over)

4. Same for a blues bar?

5. Why is River Pub the only business that has taken advantage of the best scenic view in Texas? (I know there are environmental issues, but come on, 1 restaurant? There'd be a restaurant or bar every 1/4 mile if I had the money or means)

End Rant.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hacker wrote:
I can't vote on this at all. My favorite bar wasn't even included. Rocky LaRues. But I have to admit that when I do go back I spend my time at J's Bistro, the new piano bar thats owned by the same guys from Rocky's.

Did you just say there's a piano bar in San Marcos? I've got to go to this place.

Yep, J's Bistro. It's located below the All-Nighter Diner on the northeast corner of the square. Next time you are in town, we will have to go.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

1. Could we stick a Hooters or "gentleman's" club out near the Outlet Mall and out of reach of certain zoning?

I'm not sure it's worth it. If you wanna see boobs, go to Sewell beach. If you want good food, you won't find it at Hooters.

Quote:
4. Same for a blues bar?

When I was there, that was Cheatham Street.

Quote:
5. Why is River Pub the only business that has taken advantage of the best scenic view in Texas? (I know there are environmental issues, but come on, 1 restaurant? There'd be a restaurant or bar every 1/4 mile if I had the money or means)

Peppers at the Falls, now dba Joe's Crab Shack.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:41 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yep, J's Bistro. It's located below the All-Nighter Diner on the northeast corner of the square. Next time you are in town, we will have to go.

The trip this weekend is looking doubtful. It looks like it's going to rain at least part of the weekend (bad baseball weather), I have to get serious about finding a place to live (other than the bridge I live under now) and get some stuff together for the last week of class.

I haven't heard from CSF or 05 either. What's going on with the Austin crew?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post The best bar is San Marcos...
Is the one that doesn't close at midnight!!

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ok - but that still only makes 2 businesses taking advantage

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

...........the coast.........I had forgotten the name but I sure remember the place.........I seem to remember that as a thursady night destination? maybe it was tuesday, I remember it was a middle of the week party.......wednesday nights we sometimes went to a place in S.A. a great big multi level place..........bonham exchange? not sure why I think that was the name......cannot remember much...........everything was always a blur.......fri & sat we usually went to austin.....I seem to recall a certain massage parlor just across down the street from what is now kinkos....think theres still apts up top and an insurance place down, wasn't it a vietnamese establishment? its ok if you know the answer, nobody reads these posts..............

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

...........the coast.........I had forgotten the name but I sure remember the place.........I seem to remember that as a thursady night destination? maybe it was tuesday, I remember it was a middle of the week party.......wednesday nights we sometimes went to a place in S.A. a great big multi level place..........bonham exchange? not sure why I think that was the name......cannot remember much...........everything was always a blur.......fri & sat we usually went to austin.....I seem to recall a certain massage parlor just across down the street from what is now kinkos....think theres still apts up top and an insurance place down, wasn't it a vietnamese establishment? its ok if you know the answer, nobody reads these posts..............

the big night at the coast was thursday -- quarter pitcher night. i remember that if you got there any later than 7 (yes, 7), you had to wait in a huge line that stretched all around the side of the building. and when you finally got in, they would be out of pitchers. so you'd have to swipe empty pitchers from tables when people went to dance. lol.

the s.a. bar was probably the bonham exchange. i think it was technically a gay bar but lots of straight folks would go because it was huge and a great place. there was a bar similar to that in austin. i'm not sure why, but a lot of straight folks went to those bars. i had one friend, though, who was hitting on some gal who later turned out not to be a woman. needless to say, we laughed our asses off.

if kinkos is on edward gary, then i know what massage parlor you're talking about. it was next to a bar (i think the bar was called L.A.), and when it closed, the bar expanded into the space (they were in they same building). i have no idea what's in that building now. there was another massage parlor on LBJ east of the square. i always thought it was strange that a small town had places like that.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Isn't that message parlor now the Triple Crown? I think the name was Tokyo massage. Man I'm getting old. I remember the coast but wasn't yellow rock a happening place also? How about that meat market on hunter road Woody's damn good memories!

:cat: :eatemup: :cat:

Last edited by El GATO LOCO on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

1. by LA's club was the "Tokyo Massage", it's where a liquor store is now, caddy corner to Kinko's. Nice establishment on drunk nights. Customers were well taken care of. The water pick treatment was delightful. The secret doorbell didn't work so well. But for $40 bucks not bad.

2. Where the apartments are was the "Rub and Tub" another well run establishment with a plethera of desireables from foreign lands. Many ladies were actually long legged and quite lovely. Others were short and stumpy and would require slightly less $ for their talented revelations. $60 would get enough arousal out of you to get you home to sleep it off and then wonder............."where is my $60 bucks?"

You guys are horseshit....You KNOW you went there.... or at least rang the doorbell and ran.

Hey I was in college and I partied, so no crap from anyone. :wink:

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ok, so nobody's gonna admit it..........

1. by LA's club was the "Tokyo Massage", it's where a liquor store is now, caddy corner to Kinko's. Nice establishment on drunk nights. Customers were well taken care of. The water pick treatment was delightful. The secret doorbell didn't work so well. But for $40 bucks not bad.

2. Where the apartments are was the "Rub and Tub" another well run establishment with a plethera of desireables from foreign lands. Many ladies were actually long legged and quite lovely. Others were short and stumpy and would require slightly less $ for their talented revelations. $60 would get enough arousal out of you to get you home to sleep it off and then wonder............."where is my $60 bucks?"

You guys are horseshit....You KNOW you went there.... or at least rang the doorbell and ran.

actually, i didn't ever go to one but always wished i knew someone who did. lol. i was way too freaking innocent (and poor) back in those days.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Hacker wrote:
I can't vote on this at all. My favorite bar wasn't even included. Rocky LaRues. But I have to admit that when I do go back I spend my time at J's Bistro, the new piano bar thats owned by the same guys from Rocky's.

Did you just say there's a piano bar in San Marcos? I've got to go to this place.

Yeah, definitely the new hotspot in san marcos.

Am i the only guy who voted for Rileys? Small country bar with horseshoes and washers with new expanded pool room with shuffleboard....

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The place was called the Tokyo Rose Massage and it actually had a rose bush outside the door.

I used to walk past it to go to the Bank of America while living on campus. It was so obvious that is was a house of ill repute, but I never had enough nerve to even ring the door bell let alone darken its doors!

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The place was called the Tokyo Rose Massage and it actually had a rose bush outside the door.

I used to walk past it to go to the Bank of America while living on campus. It was so obvious that is was a house of ill repute, but I never had enough nerve to even ring the door bell let alone darken its doors!

Any they wonder why our society has taken a turn for the worst....... probably cuz we dont have places like that anymore! i know i would be a better person if we did....

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ok, so nobody's gonna admit it..........

simply classic..............this may be my favorite thread ever.........................but I ain't admitting shit..........

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:20 pm