Kent Black's BBQ 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Kent Black's BBQ
My middle son is out of the Army now, and wants to visit Texas. We're picking him up in Austin, and will be staying in San Marcos for a couple of days. I was wondering if Kent Black's is worth trying, or just head over to Lockhart.

Thanks.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Kent Black's BBQ
I've only been there twice, but thought the food was very good both times.

It's pricey though.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It is better than Lockhart.

Honestly, everybody pinches their collective nipples about BBQ in Lockhart, but none of them really impress me these days. Kent Black's is currently superior to all of them right now.

Hays County BBQ was good for a while, but started to have issues with quality consistency--enough that I won't go there anymore.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Hays County BBQ was good for a while, but started to have issues with quality consistency--enough that I won't go there anymore.

Damn. That sucks to hear.

Haven't been there in years, actually haven't been there since they moved to the new locations, but always thought it was superb when I used to go.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I enjoyed it when I was there a few years back.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Been to the San Marcos location about 4 times now and I agree that it is better than the Lockhart location (although it;s been about 4 years since I've been to that Blacks in Lockhart). San Marcos Blacks has been consistent every time. Very good.

Also agree abut Hays. Been twice and the second time about a year later was not as memorable as my first visit.

Been to Kreuz many many times in the past 10 years and it doesn't really wow me like it used to.

However, derailing this thread a bit...I highly recommend any of you make the drive out to Llano and try out Coopers. Amazingly delicious all three times I've been!

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hays Co BBQ announced they're opening a Hays Co Burgers but I didn't see where they location was going to be.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
Hays Co BBQ announced they're opening a Hays Co Burgers but I didn't see where they location was going to be.

Where the Cottonseed Cafe used to be, down in Martindale. http://austin.eater.com/2017/3/23/15042 ... ue-burgers

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry Teis wrote:
tx.state wrote:

Where the Cottonseed Cafe used to be, down in Martindale. http://austin.eater.com/2017/3/23/15042 ... ue-burgers

Somebody should probably tell them that is Caldwell County.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

your son is a yankee. every halfway decent texas cue spot is going to be like heaven for him. avoid fuschak's and he'll be eating the best cue he's ever had.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:39 am
SuperCat

The barburitos at Fuschak's were wonderful in the 80s. No clue about now.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Allow me to clarify Saul's point... nothing at Fuschak's is good. I will eat at Bill Miller before I will eat at Fuschak's.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

truth. even coming from new england in 1991 and giving it a couple of tries, i never went back after freshman year. was more like charred jerky than cue.

bill miller got good fried chicken tho.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 pm
SuperCat

I tried a beef rib at Kent Black's a couple months ago. Never again, can't afford it. It was OK, but not worth 30 bucks.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, we survived his trip 3 months ago. Keep in mind that a lot of guys in the Army carry pepper spray to spice up their MRE's while out in the field, so I wasn't sure what he would like.

We tried Kent Black's on Thursday evening, and it was okay, but nothing to write home about. On Friday, we went to lunch at Smitty's in Lockhart. He was impressed with the ribs. We hooked up with my oldest boy for beer and supper at the Oasis on Lake Travis.

Saturday, we hit Cooper's over in Llano for supper after lunch at the Auslander in Fredericksburg.

Then it was lunch at the Buckhorn Saloon in San Antonio on Sunday. They were flying out the next day, so I took a pass on any more food for the next 2 days. Burp!

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm