304-bed development, called The Local Downtown 
True Bobcat Fan

Post 304-bed development, called The Local Downtown
All,
does anyone know where this development is going to be located? The article says, "This community’s unique benefit is its proximity to one of San Marcos’ prized assets, the San Marcos River, while still being within walking distance to the core of campus"

https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/edr-to-bring-new-student-housing-to-michigan-state-and-texas-state/

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:09 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: 304-bed development, called The Local Downtown
It is going where Cedars and Triple Crown used to be. SE corner of Hutchison & Edward Gary. Right behind Yellow Store. There's several other downtown projects in the works as well.

Here's some additional detail
http://communityimpact.com/austin/development-construction/2016/01/08/work-begins-on-seven-story-building-in-downtown-san-marcos/

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was heartbroken when the news of the triple crown (in it's current location) closing down.

So many memories of that dive.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Me too. Not to mention they lost their streak. I believe they owned the record for most consecutive days with live music in Texas. They do plan to relocate and open up somewhere else in town though.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:30 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Architectural commentary... Are architects working on multi-story mixed use now incapable of designing a building with a design that will stand the test of time rather than another dogshit modular-looking, Scandinavian-influenced turd? This thing reminds me of that crappy redevelopment at the South Lamar location of Alamo Drafthouse. I like density & height within reason, but my god this thing is dull & ugly.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

:lol: I didn't want to say anything but I agree 100%

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

Are the architects from Russia?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
Architectural commentary... Are architects working on multi-story mixed use now incapable of designing a building with a design that will stand the test of time rather than another dogshit modular-looking, Scandinavian-influenced turd? This thing reminds me of that crappy redevelopment at the South Lamar location of Alamo Drafthouse. I like density & height within reason, but my god this thing is dull & ugly.

Actually, I kinda like the design for an urban setting. But it sure looks out of place in San Marcos.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
I was heartbroken when the news of the triple crown (in it's current location) closing down.

So many memories of that dive.

I felt the same way about the massage parlor.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

lurker wrote:
I felt the same way about the massage parlor.

Ha!

I'm trying to remember when that shut down. Around '86, right? But now that I think of it, there were two in town.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There were two. One was at the Triple Crown location, and one was not far away. I think the building is currently Farmer's Insurance, on Hutchison, but I could be wrong. It was over there, somewhere.

I don't know when they shut down either. Seems like it was in the 90s. Could have been the same year the Triple Crown opened.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It concerns me that lurker knew off the top of his head the two "massage parlors" in town.

Never fret though... There's always the snake farm! Just go in and ask if they can break a hundred dollar bill was the story.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

When I was in school in the 1980s, there were at least two massage parlors. One was on LBJ a block or two east (south?) of the Square. The other was, if I'm remembering the exact spot correctly, at the corner of Hutchison and Edward Gary in a building that became a dance club called LA's. I'm not familiar with the Triple Crown. Sounds like after my time. Same location?

A week or two after I moved to San Marcos, a friend and I used the "Help Wanted" sign in the window as an excuse to walk in to the massage parlor on LBJ, pretending to be clueless rubes looking for work just so we could see what it was like inside. Of course, in a lot of ways I really was a clueless rube. Anyway, we were told the opening was only for women, spent a couple minutes looking around the waiting room, then lost our nerve and walked out.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I lived at 314 E Hutchison when I was in college, the building right behind Cedars, across from Minuteman. This new development will be right next to it.

I heard a that my building was a massage parlor back in the 80's but I haven't confirmed that rumor.

I always thought that were I lived was the best location in town. It was 1 block from campus, 1 block from the square, and 1 block from the river.

From what I can see in the drawings for this new development, it doesn't appear to have any parking structure. It would really be tough to find parking for 304-beds in that area without a garage.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It has an underground parking garage, though I don't remember the space count. They are actually excavating that part right now. Personally, I'm anxious to see if they find groundwater contamination from the dry cleaning facility that was once nearby.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:25 pm