304-bed development, called The Local Downtown 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 304-bed development, called The Local Downtown
Ya Jack Brown was right across the street (now a part-time bookstore I believe). I thought they would find an underground plume when they tore down the Jack Brown annex a few years ago but they didn't.

As far as I know, the only one in San Marcos is at the intersection of 123 and 35 (the pasture to the north of Luby's).

Wonder why they're building an underground garage. Its far more expensive to dig down than to build a garage with a retail/store front wrapped around it (e.g. Plucker's on Rio Grande).

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tx.state: So if my Google map search is correct, the apartment building you're talking about is behind what was the massage parlor (and LA's club), which was on the corner at Edward Gary. The Google street view still shows the Triple Crown, which is next to LA's.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Oh ok, gotcha. Our timelines seem to be several years apart (in referring to specific businesses).

Either way, it sucks to see Triple Crown get bulldozed but I'm glad someone is investing in that area. It was underused as it was and it's a great location. It's only gotten better even since I moved out with Hutchison being streetscaped and the new CVS opposite corner.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Just happened across a photo on a Facebook page that shows the building where the massage parlor/LA's was. When the photo was taken, the sign said Cedars Cafe. The part that was the massage parlor was the left half, next to Hutchison. Maybe Cedars could have offered a secret sauce on the menu, just for nostalgia's sake.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

atxman wrote:
Just happened across a photo on a Facebook page that shows the building where the massage parlor/LA's was. When the photo was taken, the sign said Cedars Cafe. The part that was the massage parlor was the left half, next to Hutchison. Maybe Cedars could have offered a secret sauce on the menu, just for nostalgia's sake.

Cedars was split in half inside so that makes sense. The right half was the restaurant, the left half was a hooka lounge or something.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Really the only part of Lafayette that isn't a parking lot or a strip mall is the River Ranch area. I don't know who was behind the development, but it is going gang busters. There's wealth in the area that is astounding, and while SM doesn't have that, the mixed use area anchored by the two somewhat fancy apartment complexes is something I always wish would come to SM. This is sort of similar, but with crappy architecture. The architecture in the Lafayette River Ranch development did great at staying true to French heritage.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Seems to me like River Ranch is just a master planned community very much like Blanco Vista...except that it features mixed use development.

Better comparisons would probably be Mueller or the Domain in Austin.

Master planned mixed-use developers seek out areas that:
A) lack a downtown that isn't desirable for either shopping or living or both
B) have a downtown that is too expensive for either or both and in a city that is large enough to support another mixed-use area

I don't know about Lafayette but Austin is definitely B. I think San Marcos has many more opportunities for mixed-use development in the downtown area, and a mixed-use elsewhere in the city doesn't really make sense and wouldn't do that well.

The best place for mixed-use development in San Marcos for the foreseeable future is definitely downtown. It is uniquely sandwiched between 40,000 students and the highway that provides probably 90% of the city's ingress/egress. Expensive real estate prices in downtown or excessive local government are the only things that would likely change this.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't know how many opened and closed, or moved, or whatever, but I am 99.9% certain that either Tokyo Massage, or Asian Massage, was in the Triple Crown building.

Before Cedars, that building was Kismet (another restaurant). I don't know what it was before that. At some point, it may have been a massage parlor too. Just not either of the ones I remember.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Architectural commentary... Are architects working on multi-story mixed use now incapable of designing a building with a design that will stand the test of time rather than another dogshit modular-looking, Scandinavian-influenced turd?

as i was reading this, i was 100% thinking of:
bleed gold wrote:
This thing reminds me of that crappy redevelopment at the South Lamar location of Alamo Drafthouse. I like density & height within reason, but my god this thing is dull & ugly.

easily the worst new development in austin lately.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:19 am