UPDATE: Aquarena Springs Bridge & Bobcat Stadium 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UPDATE: Aquarena Springs Bridge & Bobcat Stadium
Here's a synopsis of the latest & greatest regarding the bridge over the railroad tracks/Post Road in front of Bobcat Stadium.

Highlights:
  • $21 million total cost
  • 2.5 years of construction
  • Not anticipating any major lane closures except a brief one-month period (reason for the 2.5 year timeline)
  • 8 lanes: 2 in each direction on the overpass and 2 in each direction as access roads
  • This will probably also fix the jacked-up access & erosion/drainage issues in front of the north endzone complex & fan shop and create a much safer pedestrian environment for gameday traffic

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/san-marcos-buda-kyle/aquarena-springs-project-to-begin-in-may/

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: UPDATE: Aquarena Springs Bridge & Bobcat Stadium
Great News, and only like 10 years to late. but holy crap, 2.5 years :shock: . The MoPac improvement project is much more intensive and is on course to be done in under 2 years.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:02 am
True Bobcat Fan

I don't know how they do things in Austin, but we take 2 years to get 2 blocks of LBJ redone.

Somewhat related, but not government related, has anyone heard that they can't get the crane out of the apartment building where Rivendell was? I drove by the other day, and can see how there might be some truth to that rumor.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:02 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

lurker wrote:
I don't know how they do things in Austin, but we take 2 years to get 2 blocks of LBJ redone.

Somewhat related, but not government related, has anyone heard that they can't get the crane out of the apartment building where Rivendell was? I drove by the other day, and can see how there might be some truth to that rumor.

Yes--that is true regarding the crane from what I've been told by someone very familiar with the project. They have a solution, but need to wait until the holiday break in classes.

The 2.5 years is so they don't have to actually close lanes except for a very limited time. Acquiring right-of-way is also an issue with a couple of property owners & can be time consuming. There is not a lot of space to work with and it is a complex intersection (major road + strange Post Road alignment + diagonal high traffic rail crossing + significant drainage issues + access to major event facilities). Bridges also just take a while when involving already active roadways--it is the nature of the beast. This is a TxDOT project rather than a city project.

The issues with the downtown work honestly defy explanation at this point.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

I went to the local Lion's club meeting last week. The area engineer for TXDOT was the speaker. He didn't have much of an answer for this question - "Given the generally good weather in Texas, and the availability of light plants for night time work, why don't you find a way to force the contractors to work Saturdays, and double or even triple shifts?"

Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:30 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

what about a start date?

Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Canaquedista Man wrote:
what about a start date?

Given the last part of that link says "/aquarena-springs-project-to-begin-in-may/" I'd wager... May.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Great news

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

you expect me to read an entire article? I have bowls on my mind.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ChicagoGuy wrote:
I went to the local Lion's club meeting last week. The area engineer for TXDOT was the speaker. He didn't have much of an answer for this question - "Given the generally good weather in Texas, and the availability of light plants for night time work, why don't you find a way to force the contractors to work Saturdays, and double or even triple shifts?"

Thst codts $$ Tough to do when the Tx legislature won't use rainy day fund for transportation.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
ChicagoGuy wrote:

Thst codts $$ Tough to do when the Tx legislature won't use rainy day fund for transportation.

Jobs are estimated out by the state engineers. That's the amount he contractors try to get under when they bid for the work. If the contract specifies a fixed completion date, it's up to the contractors to figure out how to get the work done. It's even better when the contract specifies bonus money for finishing early and penalties for being late. It's standard practice in the Upper Midwest and the Northeast.

The company my dad worked for put down more miles of interstate highway than anyone else. They were ranked in the top five by the AGC for fifteen years in a row. The only reason the Bechtels, Parsons, and Brown & Roots were bigger is because those others focused on the design and build business. My dad's employer focused on highway and heavy (dams, bridges, tunnels). They were so big they made HB Zachry in San Antonio look small. Side note: Pat Zachry's son Bartell attended my dad's funeral. So did Steve Bechtel, Jr. Competition aside, the construction business was something of a brotherhood.

A lot of the road work being done east of Houston now is funded by TX DOT in partnership with the various municipalities over here. Instead of taking five years from drawing board to completion, the new model can get stuff delivered in under two.

Proposition One's passage diverts monies into infrastructure that would have sat in the rainy day fund.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
you expect me to read an entire article? I have bowls on my mind.

Problem solved.

FLFIFY

(Fran & Larry Fixed It For You)

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

any new info on this? May is just around the corner

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I saw something just the other day. Not sure details but it seems that it is still on schedule.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://smcorridornews.com/news/740/loop ... etics.html

April 6th is start date on the bridge. Think it is really going to do a lot for the curb appeal. 2 year project though.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm