Question for the greeks on board 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: Question for the greeks on board
ChicagoGuy wrote:
I guess the 60's are really over. Sigh....... :-)

In my case it's the 80's. REALLY enjoyed visiting SWT back in then. Y'all were the #1 party school in the nation for good reason

Lower drinking age + TONS of hot women with low self esteem and poor decision making skills = Good Times :shock: :lol:

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

MeanGruene wrote:
ChicagoGuy wrote:

In my case it's the 80's. REALLY enjoyed visiting SWT back in then. Y'all were the #1 party school in the nation for good reason

Lower drinking age + TONS of hot women with low self esteem and poor decision making skills = Good Times :shock: :lol:

Drinking age? What's that? One of the guys in our house worked at the liquor store down the street. If we ran out of beer before the party was over, he had a key to the store. We carried the full kegs in a red wagon in the good weather, and on a toboggan in the winter. Mush!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

MeanGruene wrote:
Y'all were the #1 party school in the nation for good reason

urban legend perpetuated by decades of bobcats

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ChicagoGuy wrote:
MeanGruene wrote:
ChicagoGuy wrote:

Drinking age? What's that? One of the guys in our house worked at the liquor store down the street. If we ran out of beer before the party was over, he had a key to the store. We carried the full kegs in a red wagon in the good weather, and on a toboggan in the winter. Mush!

Somewhere I have a picture of my friend pulling a tapped keg from the little HEB with the faucet in his mouth (actually drinking from it) up the hill in a radio flyer wagon he "borrowed" from the neighbor's kid.

The reason was even better... he couldn't remember where he had parked his car from a party two nights before. I probably don't have to tell you that he never graduated.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Not to start a UNT-TXST pissing match (you don't have to try hard to start one on the internet, or look hard to find a good one)...but I think TXST is much more landlocked than UNT. My knowledge of UNT is only from Google Earth and the 2 weeks that I spent of there in training for work last summer....

But the main difference is UNT still has ALOT of surface parking around campus, whereas we have mostly eliminated most of the surface parking and built about 10 parking garages...and you only really build expensive garages when you start to run out of room. I cannot remember seeing any parking garages at UNT, but I might be wrong.

Our Master Plan has garages eventually being built near the football stadium to allow us to move more parking out there. There are also plans for parking garages to be built by JCK and the tennis courts. Even the big satellite parking lot on West Campus will be gone (or significantly reduced) soon as they are about to break ground another dorm.

Back on topic, about 7-8 years ago I had a group project in class that was to identify a location in San Marcos for the school to build a research commercialization center...our group selected that Section 8 housing project as the location. We identified that spot as the most feasible campus-adjacent, large chunk of land. STAR Park was eventually built way out on Hunter Road.

I guess I would be ok with a Medical School being built there (and Springtown) one day....

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:47 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

There are parking garages at UNT and more are in the works, but you are correct about the surface parking, especially along the east end of campus. Parking lot space was used for Sorority Row and the new Greek Life Center.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

As many have stated, most of the houses in the 80's were "rentals". The school was growing and they wanted the land for their expansion plans. Owning vs. renting.

It also didn't help that Pres. Supple wanted to get the Greeks as far away from campus as he could.

In the late 80's there was rumor and also some momentum on a fraternity row, off campus, but the City of SM shot that down. It was going to be on the south side of 35, near the hospital. The houses, were going to be lodges (no one living at the houses) and almost all of the big players had bought in and were working together to make it happen.

There was a lot of shuffling houses/construction and fires that changed the landscape of Greek houses:
Alpha Phi house torn down to make room for Engineering bldg on West Campus
Kappa Sigs-Kicked off campus (hazing)
Phi Delta Theta- moves out of their house and into the old Kappa Sig House
Alpha Phi's moved into the house between the TKE's and Kappa Sigs
Alha Phi's loose charter and Sig Tau Gamma's move into the Alpha Phi house.
Phi Kappa Theta's leave SWT and Sig Ep's take over their house (two houses)
Theta Xi house is demolished (off campus)
Fiji's lose charter and abandon their house (way off campus)
Sig Eps then move down the street
Sig Ep's loose new house and move back to old house, but only one house.
Chi-O's build new lodge
ZTA's build new house
AD Pi's build new house
Delta Tau Delta house is torn down to build new apt complex
Delts move into old Sig Tau House
Sigma Nu house burns
Pike house burns
All houses on the "greek row" are demoloshed or vacated with the exception of the KA house
SAE's get house on RR12
SAE's leave house on RR12
Delts buy land tear down old house and build new house on property on RR12

I't's to bad that the city and school don't see the value of a Greek Row. In the last 12 months, I've seen the campuses of Georgia, Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Florida. All had Greek Rows, which had huge houses that were very well maintained.

:eatemup:
:eatemup:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:27 pm