Black's Barbecue coming to San Marcos... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Black's Barbecue coming to San Marcos...
I like hays, but I always welcome competition.

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/san-marcos-buda-kyle/Famed-Lockhart-pitmaster-plans-San%20Marcos-location/

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Black's Barbecue coming to San Marcos...
Interesting. It's right across the street from where Texas Red's was located. 2 years now, and I don't think another restaurant has opened its doors.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

We're planning a trip to SM later this summer. Any chance this gets opened before school starts? I didn't see any opening date.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:
We're planning a trip to SM later this summer. Any chance this gets opened before school starts? I didn't see any opening date.

Doubt it. If it is the building I think it is, then they'll need at least 60 days from the time they get their building permits as the building & site needs a good bit of work. It is the funky old warehouse across from the old Texas Reds... or if you've been a predatory towing victim: next door to Saucedo/Southwest Towing.

To me, their worst case scenario deadline to open is in time for people to place smoked turkey orders for Thanksgiving. If things get through the city process by the end of July, then I think they could be open as early as October 1st--perfect timing for the pleasant fall weather.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:

From Twitter:
Black's Barbecue GM Kent Black says he hopes to open a BBQ joint in #SMTX by the end of 2013.

and

P&Z approves rezoning, alcohol CUP for @blacksbbq which is opening a barbecue joint near the old Texas Reds off Guadalupe St #SMTX #TXST

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Looks like some of the neighbors in Victory Gardens are opposing it. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

WTB, what are you hearing? Is there something posted online?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Grapevine news only. From what I have heard that they don't want all the traffic in that neighborhood. Gonna go sit in at the Neighborhood Commision meeting to see if anything is said. I will keep you posted.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Given that Texas Reds used to be over there and the property itself & adjacent property is zoned light industrial (long list of uses I would not want next door to me), it is kind of a tough argument to make against Black's. We're talking a capacity of 150, plus maybe 20 people waiting on a table on a bad day. Basically, this is not even a Texas Roadhouse in terms of capacity. Personally, it isn't the location I would pick if I were Blacks, but you're not going to get substantial traffic within that neighborhood. Nearly all of the traffic will stick to Grove Street as the access.

WTB--I'll also talk to some folks I know in Victory Gardens to see whether this is truly organized opposition or just a few isolated folks.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Nothing was said about it at the Neighborhood Commission meeting. I'll keep my ears opened and post here if I hear anything else. But Im with Bleed Gold.. I wouldn't want it next door to me.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

<<I wouldn't want it next door to me.>>

As opposed to a towing company and an impound lot?

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

West Texas Bobcat wrote:
Nothing was said about it at the Neighborhood Commission meeting. I'll keep my ears opened and post here if I hear anything else. But Im with Bleed Gold.. I wouldn't want it next door to me.

I actually think from a neighborhood impact perspective this won't be bad at all--you won't get much traffic within the neighborhood except for Grove St. (already a commercial street) and a bit of Hull St. depending on parking lot placement. And it is better than the junkyard & towing company that is already adjacent to the neighborhood. As long as they provide adequate parking, it'll be approved.

It appears any opposition from Victory Gardens is an isolated couple of individuals rather than anything strong/organized. I asked a couple of P&Z members and council members about it and they said as long as the parking is addressed, it should be fine.

My thought on the location is that they should have spent a few more dollars for a location actually on Guadalupe or LBJ. Personally, I would have gone for that feed store property that burned on the corner of LBJ and the railroad tracks, or the old Hughson Meat Company building at the corner of Guadalupe & Cheatham (which also burned). That would get them better visibility, and place them close to Cheatham Street Warehouse.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
West Texas Bobcat wrote:

I actually think from a neighborhood impact perspective this won't be bad at all--you won't get much traffic within the neighborhood except for Grove St. (already a commercial street) and a bit of Hull St. depending on parking lot placement. And it is better than the junkyard & towing company that is already adjacent to the neighborhood. As long as they provide adequate parking, it'll be approved.

It appears any opposition from Victory Gardens is an isolated couple of individuals rather than anything strong/organized. I asked a couple of P&Z members and council members about it and they said as long as the parking is addressed, it should be fine.

My thought on the location is that they should have spent a few more dollars for a location actually on Guadalupe or LBJ. Personally, I would have gone for that feed store property that burned on the corner of LBJ and the railroad tracks, or the old Hughson Meat Company building at the corner of Guadalupe & Cheatham (which also burned). That would get them better visibility, and place them close to Cheatham Street Warehouse.

The feed store? Isn't that only on two streets, one of which is one way?

Seems that would be a really bad place for it.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

The feed store? Isn't that only on two streets, one of which is one way?

Seems that would be a really bad place for it.

Yes, but it is on a one-way couplet with high traffic volumes rather than off the beaten path like they are currently planning. Also, I would buy the one little residential house on S. Guadalupe next to David Sergi's office and request the city abandon the unbuilt alley. That would allow frontage (and signage) on both Guadalupe and LBJ. Plus, it would be a purpose-built BBQ restaurant rather than trying to make that odd building on Hull work.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:46 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Me want beef rib.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 pm