The University name change. . . . 7 years later 

7 years after the name change: Which name do you prefer?
Poll ended at Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:38 pm
1. Southwest Texas State University 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2. Texas State University 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 3

The University name change. . . . 7 years later 
Junior Bobcat

Post The University name change. . . . 7 years later
Please vote in the attached poll. (if the poll is not working, just reply with your answer).

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: The University name change. . . . 7 years later
:texasstate:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Without a doubt, the name change has vastly spread our name to the public in general. I see Texas State t-shirts, etc. everywhere when I rarely saw SWT garments. Watch an astros game, crowd scan - you will often see a TxSt shirt in the crowd. Our daughter lives in Houston - frequently comments on how many shirts, window stickers, etc. she sees when she never saw SWT stuff. Without a doubt in my mind we have much greater name recognition now.

Alumni Assn. Charter Life Member #186
Bobcat Club Member Since Forever

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This needs to be a poll just for the guys and girls that graduated before the name change.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tpopt wrote:
This needs to be a poll just for the guys and girls that graduated before the name change.

That would include me.

Alumni Assn. Charter Life Member #186
Bobcat Club Member Since Forever

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The name change itself did absolutely nothing but spend some extra money.

The work that they put into trying to get the new name out there helped quite a bit.

If they had put that same work into Southwest Texas State University, the results would be similar (or in my opinion, slightly better as there was SOME recognition of the name SWT).

So yeah, I was against the name change, still think it's 100% absurd, and think the way it was handled was absolute crap.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was so completely against it at the time that I wrote a letter to the school (Pretty rude one if I remember correctly. probably had spelling errors). However, I do think that it is beneficial today. Directional names come off as inferior to the general public in my opinion.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
The name change itself did absolutely nothing but spend some extra money.

The work that they put into trying to get the new name out there helped quite a bit.

If they had put that same work into Southwest Texas State University, the results would be similar (or in my opinion, slightly better as there was SOME recognition of the name SWT).

So yeah, I was against the name change, still think it's 100% absurd, and think the way it was handled was absolute crap.

This. There's probably been a minor benefit, but not as much as was expected by the true believers. The results will really show in 20-30 years rather than after 5-7 years.

I had heard at one time that there were some serious doubts within the administration and faculty about the change because of the way the letters were positioned in the name (super cereal).

texASState

Which pretty much proves my point that college administrators need something to do beside make up paperwork and justify their hugemongous salaries.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

While I never attended SWT I did grow up an SWT fan. Born and raised in Wimberley and my Dad graduated from SWT. When it happened I thought it was a horrible idea. I distinctly remember telling people that I would never call it Texas State. It would always be SWT to me.

It took me all of about 20 minutes to change my mind once I got on campus. I think removing the directional preface has done wonders for our image. We are the state university of Texas. I think the change has already made our name more recognizable and respected (not to mention easier to remember) and will only continue to help in the years to come.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Worked @ SWT for 16 years in an area connected to PR. Name was always a problem connected to perception. No doubt in my mind name change has been and will continue to be a positive. Former President Supple, AD Bill Miller and Jim Wacker all had the name change and Division I vision. Someone mentioned not long ago that within next few years there will be more people who have graduated from Texas State than have EVER graduated from SWT. Can't prove it, but bet they are correct.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
On one hand... I am nostalgic and believe that Southwest Texas (and/or name variations of) gave us an identity

On the other hand... I believe the name change will/does portray the current university size and vision, due to as someone mentioned before... directional schools sound small

But on the other hand... I am proud of graduating from SWT

Again, on the other hand...however I did not have a problem with the name change

Yet on the other hand... It seems that Yes... there appears to be more Texas State car window stickers then I ever saw with SWT

One last on the other hand...either way I am proud of the university! It still has the memories, Old Main, the river, my dorm (Jackson Hall... with the Star) and hot chicks (its where I met my wife).

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

My thoughts about it are that Southwest Texas State in athletics sounds like a D-II or worse school. Texas State has more of a D-I sound to it. I remember that I hadn't heard much of SWT but the name Texas State flipped a switch in my mind to wanna know more. But that's my take on the situation

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Just a drive-by from an outsider:

I like Texas State better. The only problem here is that the school should be referred to as "The Texas State University". Pronounced THEE. :-)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:45 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I like the name and think it has been a benefit, if only for the Texas---State chant! :wink: Seriously, I think it has helped perception, but I think a lot of credit goes to the university's efforts to market the brand following the name change. We'll never know whether similar results would have been achieved applying those marketing efforts to ol' SWT, but now that the dust has cleared away I think the whole effort was for the best. The approach & method wasn't ideal, but we're here now and I think most have gotten past the hurt feelings.

I had the benefit of attending during the name change, and was part of the first spring graduation under the new name. I supported the change as a student, though now that I'm older I understand more why so many were hesitant about the process. I think it is cool that I can hang memorabilia from both names on my garage wall, and can talk from experience about what it was like to be on campus when the name change occurred. I even have some of the early "Texas State" stickers that were produced prior to the change as part of the campaign.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:41 am