cable advice and watching streaming TV online 

How should Bleed Gold handle his technology?
Just get high-speed from Centurytel and stream TV 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just get high-speed from TimeWarner and stream TV 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
TimeWarner HD cable + roadrunner 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Centurytel + HD Direct TV bundle 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

cable advice and watching streaming TV online 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post cable advice and watching streaming TV online
So I'm officially moving into San Marcos next week and into a new house. Unfortunately, Grande is not available where I'll be, so my choices are a bit more limited. I am currently a Time Warner customer at my current place. I have the ability to transfer my current service, or opt out without penalty. I do not have a landline, but am not necessarily opposed to it.

I've never seriously explored it, but I'd like to know how to watch TV on the internet using my computer (or some other device any of you suggest). If I can do this and get reasonably good access, I might be able to forego cable and just get high-speed internet.

If I stay with cable, I'm looking for HD Cable with DVR. I don't really care about sports packages or anything--if I want something special I'll go find a bar/restaurant (or a friend's house). My only add-on is Showtime because I love Weeds.

I've narrowed my options at the new place to the following:

Time Warner for cable and high-speed internet bundle (what I currently have)
CenturyLink (Centurytel) for internet and DirectTV bundle

Please vote above and/or provide your thoughts below.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: cable advice and watching streaming TV online
Just don't buy the house and find a place where Grande serves. :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I am currently doing Time Warner high speed and streaming TV shows. It works pretty well for me and I kind of like the time I seem to get back by not blankly watching crap shows. But there is one major problem. Its football season and I have no football.

Now, I have a bar down the road that I have been going and watching football at and my fix is filled. The issue is I seem to spend as much money at the bar watching football as I would if I just paid for the damn cable.

Personally, I don't mind not having cable but if I wasn't penny pinching then I would probably pony up and get a decent one. Streaming TV shows and movies works pretty well for me but I miss live sports and its only opening day for football.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'd try Time Warner. I fired CenturyTel over their poor tech support and their partner DishTV over their lousy equipment (4 control boxes in 3 months).

I've got Direct TV now, and Grande for phone and internet.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ChicagoGuy wrote:
I'd try Time Warner. I fired CenturyTel over their poor tech support and their partner DishTV over their lousy equipment (4 control boxes in 3 months).

I've got Direct TV now, and Grande for phone and internet.

Centurytel was pretty chitty when I lived in San Marcos. Austin and san Antonio's tw is pretty chitty too. You would be on austin's tw and they could give a rat's patoot about the outlying areas. Get a dish. I have dtv.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

sweat64 wrote:
I am currently doing Time Warner high speed and streaming TV shows. It works pretty well for me and I kind of like the time I seem to get back by not blankly watching crap shows. But there is one major problem. Its football season and I have no football.

Now, I have a bar down the road that I have been going and watching football at and my fix is filled. The issue is I seem to spend as much money at the bar watching football as I would if I just paid for the damn cable.

Personally, I don't mind not having cable but if I wasn't penny pinching then I would probably pony up and get a decent one. Streaming TV shows and movies works pretty well for me but I miss live sports and its only opening day for football.

try justin.tv for most big football games on ESPN/ESPN2

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 am
Site Admin

How about Time Warner for internet and DirecTV HD for TV? I like DirecTV. DISH is good too, but doesn't have as many HD channels.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Get an Xbox 360 or PS3 and anything you stream on your computer cna end up on your tv.

It's changed my life.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My wife and I use newsgroups and a dedicated linux file server for a lot of the "TV" that we watch.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Use bit torrent to download TV shows the day after they are. I do that with all the HBO shows. Pair it with a Western Digital HDTV Live ($120) and a wireless antenna ($30) and you can stream them from your PC to your TV.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

achtungpv wrote:
Use bit torrent to download TV shows the day after they are. I do that with all the HBO shows. Pair it with a Western Digital HDTV Live ($120) and a wireless antenna ($30) and you can stream them from your PC to your TV.

Skip the Western Digital HDTV Live ($120) and get a PS3 ($299). You get the same, but a blu-ray player.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

MaximumBobcat wrote:
sweat64 wrote:

try justin.tv for most big football games on ESPN/ESPN2

Used Justin TV this weekend. Thanks for the tip. It worked great for college football and horrible for pro football. I had many college games to choose from but in terms of the NFL it seemed nothing worked for more than a minute or two.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm