As an alumnus, would you encourage your kids to attend TxSt? 

Yes 88%  88%  [ 22 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 25

BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post As an alumnus, would you encourage your kids to attend TxSt?
Just curious, with all the bitching and apathy towards the university, would you encourage your kid(s) to attend your alma mater?

Be honest and give your reasoning if you like.

My answer is no but not for any dislike or personal dissatisfaction with TxSt. It's only because I want and expect more in all facets of life for my daughter and that includes a better education at a top tier university, preferably Stanford.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:31 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: As an alumnus, would you encourage your kids to attend TxSt?
If your daughter can get into Stanford and you as a family can find a way to pay for it then by all means send her there, same goes for Rice, the Stanford of Texas. The same would apply to any Ivy League School and most patriot league schools. UT is a good school but I know several UT grads that got degrees in Basket Weaving and now they can find a job.

As far as other schools go it would depend on the major of her choice.

Your poll is way to wide open.

Would I send my kid to TXST? Yeah, Hell Yeah........Would I choose Stanford over TXST if paying for it wasnt a problem......All I can say is Stanford is a damn good school.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It all depends on what they are planning for a major.

If my child wanted to be a physical therapist, I can't think of a better place for them to get their degree.

If, however, they are looking at an engineering degree, I'd probably direct them towards Tech.

If they were geniuses like their old man, I'd tell them to apply to Ivy League schools, but make sure they have enough Extra Curricular activities, or they'll lose their schollie to Brown (again, just like their old man).

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
If, however, they are looking at an engineering degree, I'd probably direct them towards Tech.

I never really thought much about how where you went to school mattered. I always felt it was more about each individual person's qualifications. That is, until a few employers ago, when I saw they had a written policy for hiring new civil engineering grads. This was for a mainly Texas-based engineering firm with about 300 employees:

$60K UT, TAMU, Rice 3.0 GPA minimum
$50K Tech, UT-Arlington, SMU 3.25 GPA minimum
$45K UTSA & other TX engineering programs 3.50 GPA minimum
Out of state schools were categorized on a case-by-case basis.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

Honestly, I'd let them decide. I'd make sure they made a well informed decision and didn't overlook certain things a high school kid can miss. But otherwise I wouldn't try to influence their decision at all. And if they wanted to follow in my footsteps and go to Texas State then I certainly wouldn't discourage them from doing so.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

A lot of it depends on the personality type of my spawn. A student that is engaged is going to do better at a bigger school like Texas State than a student that is less engaged. Any student is going to do better with a better faculty to student ratio of which Texas State doesn't shine in lots of cases.

Some of it also depends on the type of career the student wants. Things like education, science, communications, and music are top notch at Texas State. As a corollary: I'm shocked at what I see coming out of the education department at A&M. Others like Engineering (I have a horse in this race, so take it with a grain of salt) and business are far superior at A&M or UT.

As a liberal arts minor in college, I'm qualified to say the following: I wouldn't pay for a liberal arts degree. We're not paying for you to become a glorified fry-tech. Graduate school isn't going to help you out of that situation either.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

achtungpv wrote:
I never really thought much about how where you went to school mattered. I always felt it was more about each individual person's qualifications. That is, until a few employers ago, when I saw they had a written policy for hiring new civil engineering grads. This was for a mainly Texas-based engineering firm with about 300 employees:

$60K UT, TAMU, Rice 3.0 GPA minimum
$50K Tech, UT-Arlington, SMU 3.25 GPA minimum
$45K UTSA & other TX engineering programs 3.50 GPA minimum
Out of state schools were categorized on a case-by-case basis.

That's interesting, because a friend of mine told me that Tech was one of the tops in the nation for engineering (that's why he went there).

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The wife and I weren't blessed with children of our own, but we are the godparents
of my brother's three children. I am proud to say that all three are now graduates
of good old (SWT), Texas State. We've been helping to pay their expenses for
about ten years. All three are gainfully employed and doing very well in their chosen fields.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'd say A&M as far as a engineering degree.Texas for Business or Law school and then you get to be a tea sipper. I could not stand being in West Texas,I just couldn't.I'd go to Texas State again-just would-I like being a Bobcat. From what I see from the mixers there are some sharp grads coming out of Texas State.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Well only one Texas School has produced a President of the United States. I say this not to boast but to prove a point. It is not always the University but the Individual. Hell there are many successful individuals who have no degree and are very successful. With that said I'm proud to say I was one of the first in my family to graduate from a University and I have a cousin who graduated right after I did Respiratory Therapy($$$) . My brother will complete his degree in education when he returns from boot camp ( paying for his education the way my cousin and I did) and a younger cousin is currently enrolled. All at TXST. Am I proud of my degree? Damn straight I am. My wife also graduated from TXST.

Now if my child wanted to attend another institution I would have to respect her wish. I have a niece that was considering NYU and DUKE. As of now she hasn't made up her mind. She's a freshman in HS and has the grades to go anywhere. I have a nephew who wants to attend UT and possibly walk on to one of their athletic programs. I would love for him to attend TXST. Tried to sell him on TXST but his dad is a big UT fan. Bottom line I wouldn't care what University My child attends so long as it is a fine institution. But I will always recommend my University. Sometimes I find myself telling my customers and their high school kids what a great school it is.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It depends on what the kid is interested in. I do favor public schools over private, simply because I don't think private schools have a particularly good return on investment, nor do I ever expect to be able to afford that.

For the most part, I would not discourage Texas State. However, there are some fields at Texas State that I know are weak or strong, and I would certainly make Mini-Bleed Gold aware of it.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Quick answer, Yes... OK, long answer... I graduated from SWT and my wife graduated from SWT... we both have had family attend SWT... including my grandmother who graduated back in 1938! (Ya, she was a teacher) We also have family that are graduates of Texas and Texas A&M... I will also agree that their particular degrees from those Universities did not get them better positions/salary... I have pride in TXST so over the years I have taken my kid to Bobcat games/tailgates... but, like others... depending on the choice of major and opportunities I would also consider other Universities. Bottom line... its their choice... so even though I probably could be convincing that TXST is the best choice and would make me proud... I'm not going to have anyone commit to TXST just to keep us happy.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

no doubt would i encourage my kid to attend TxSt. Although, I would support him where ever he goes. I would make one thing clear, TxSt Football trumps. :D

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm