Serious Question 

Should we back a unilateral strike by Israel?
Yes, we have the obligation to defend our ally (even if they are the aggressor) 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
No, we have our own wars to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan right now, we can't be drawn into a third one. 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 16

Serious Question 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Serious Question
The market is plummeting once again this morning, and oil went up as much as $5 a barrel today on news that Israeli jets were conducting drills/missions inside Iraq. The report came from the paper in Jerusalem, and the Pentagon has since denied the reports. However, given that there have been rumors that there would be an attack in Iran by August, here's my question/poll.

If Israel made a unilateral attack on Iranian nuclear facilities like they did with Saddam in 1984 and Syria last year, and if Iran retaliates with missiles, is the United States obligated to be drawn into the conflict??

**They are our allies, but once again they would be acting unilaterally, which raises the legality of the strike itself, even if it is in the best interest of the world community at large.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Serious Question
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
they would be acting unilaterally, which raises the legality of the strike itself

There is nothing illegal about acting unilaterally. Read the UN Charter holmes.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Serious Question
TexasState03 wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
they would be acting unilaterally, which raises the legality of the strike itself

There is nothing illegal about acting unilaterally. Read the UN Charter holmes.

RRRRiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggghhhhhttttttttttt!!!!!????

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I say no. Yes they are our allies, but they chose to make the choice of launching the first strike, so they alone should bear the burden and accept the consequences of their actions. It would be different if Iran (or some other country) attacked them first and then we came to their aid as a result.

Iran has every right to retaliate against an Israeli strike and there is nothing that we should do to get involved, unless it involves us as a neutral host in order to end hostilities between the two countries.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I say no. Yes they are our allies, but they chose to make the choice of launching the first strike, so they alone should bear the burden and accept the consequences of their actions. It would be different if Iran (or some other country) attacked them first and then we came to their aid as a result.

Iran has every right to retaliate against an Israeli strike and there is nothing that we should do to get involved, unless it involves us as a neutral host in order to end hostilities between the two countries.

I agree on both accounts.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Site Admin

I voted no. Israel is more than capable of defending itself. But I would not condemn their actions should they strike Iran.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I personally don't think that Israel gives a rat's a$$ whether we back them up or not. If something like that happens, we can just stand back and watch the "big dog" eat.
Bill

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I voted no. Israel is more than capable of defending itself. But I would not condemn their actions should they strike Iran.

I agree, I don't think they would be scrutinized per se since they are directly vested in the situation. But it would really put us in a pickle. I joke around with my roommate that he is still eligible for the draft on that! :-)

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Spare me the BS about Israel always being the aggressor.

But back to the topic, I would normally say heck yes but in the current situation i would say no. The events of the last 5 years have handicapped the US military both logistically and politically.

I would still support them politically because even if we didnt we would still get grouped with them anyways. Most of the world would find a way to blame the US regardless.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Spare me the BS about Israel always being the aggressor.

I'm sorry, but that's how it would play out. You do a pre-emptive strike on mere suspicion, and you are being the agitator. They've done it twice in the past, like I said.

This next article is kinda biased, it seemed to me, but worth a read.....but take it with a grain of salt. It's written by some Russian guy, but it illustrates how GW has been itching for a fight with Iran since 2005. Maybe even longer given his "Axis of Evil" speech, that was one of his worst foreign-policy blunders. Calling his shots if you will.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO505A.html

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:55 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I would support it politically but they probably won't need our help. Israeli soldiers are widely known to be the most bad ass warriors on the planet. In USMC boot camp in 1992 I was taught Krav Maga by an Israeli instructor. Those guys (and ladies) are intense.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I would support it politically but they probably won't need our help. Israeli soldiers are widely known to be the most bad a$$ warriors on the planet. In USMC boot camp in 1992 I was taught Krav Maga by an Israeli instructor. Those guys (and ladies) are intense.

Yeah, but numbers don't favor them. That's why the Lebanon offensive in 2006 bogged down, they didn't have the manpower to hold on to the ground and flush out Hesbollah. That's also why Iran has that Kuds force of something like 2 million "militias" they would call up in the event of a conflict. Things seem to have simmered down the last few days though, and the "window of opportunity" for this administration to act is closing fast (by most accounts, late August or early Sept is the latest a strike could be launched and give Dubya enough time to coordinate things).

Isrealis are badasses though, I know a girl who was in the Israeli army, and she can dismantle an M-16 in under a minute, not to mention wipe the floor with me....probably with one finger like the Zohan! :-)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 am