Diversity 

Does Texas State need to adopt measures to become more diverse?
Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:52 pm
yes 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
a few 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
no 73%  73%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 30

Diversity 
True Bobcat Fan

Wow if we have a problem with a lack of diversity then I don't even know what to call what A&M has.

In comparison with most other major public universities in Texas (with the exception of UT) we are pretty diverse. I understand that it is an issue but here it's not as big a one as it is at other schools. I wish more minorites could make it into college (poverty and crappy inner city schools are a big reason why they struggle...there are a number of socio-economic factors actually) but it's not as much a Texas State issue as it is a State of Texas and Nationwide issue.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

If more African-Americans, Asian-Americans, or any other hyphen Americans want to apply to the school, they can and should. I downright encourage it.

If those students haven't been prepared adequately for a real university and they aren't accepted, they can always go to a community college and get better prepared and reapply after they've done their two years there.

*Before any idiots make comments about Harvard being a special case, I'm aware. It was to make a point.

I wasn't even thinking of affirmative action when I started this thread =)

I was actually just wondering why it is that so many minority students choose to not apply at all to our school. We can't say its because our school isn't academically challenging or doesn't offer in-demand majors and degrees. We can't even say its because they won't get financial aid, or they won't get accepted, as we give out a LOT of aid and our standards are actually lower than many of the other public schools in Tx. I just can't figure out what it is. Is it the lack of school pride?

Perhaps they don't feel as welcome at Tx State as they do at other universities? Either way, its sad to me that we might be missing out on having some great people attend our school because they don't feel like they belong here. I also hate that some of my closest friends have been shunned by people at this school for a very stupid reason. Everybody always says Tx State is full of friendly people, but appearently it's not.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I dunno, being from a split racial family (mom white, dad black) i think about all of this quite often and i have come to this conclusion:

(a)When people stop giving handouts to minorites we'll see progress. (b)When minorities learn to identify themselves firstly as something other than their race, we'll see progress. Getting into a school based on anything other than knowledge is insulting. If i got into the schools i did because of race is irrelevant to me because (speaking as modestly as i can while maintaining my argument) i know i'm more than qualified to succeed at all of the schools i was accepted into.

Now, as for the on-campus minorities. Making them feel at home in school by creating a "Race-friendly enviorment" will do just as much harm as good, because last time i check the Real-World THEY need to be ready for is a world that isn't perfect. Live with it. People only grow when they meet a challenge and overcome it, and thats all this is. Something minority groups must be able to overcome and affitmative action in my opinion just gives them a quick fix. I'm no sociologist by any means but speaking somewhat personally the only thing that makes me feel out of place is when groups seperate themselves because they feel they have to. Being a nice, caring person transcends racical boundries and yeah, if a "minority" is in a community that may look past them for one reason or another they need to just put themselves forth even more so, and more often than not it'll pay off. If it doesn't work the problem doesn't lie in the minority, but the mindset of the majority (or at least that one individual who belongs to the majority)

I'm positive this thread will keep going in circles as it has over the years but just know that the problem exists outside texas state.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:43 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

BCisforBobcat wrote:
If more African-Americans, Asian-Americans, or any other hyphen Americans want to apply to the school, they can and should. I downright encourage it.

If those students haven't been prepared adequately for a real university and they aren't accepted, they can always go to a community college and get better prepared and reapply after they've done their two years there.

*Before any idiots make comments about Harvard being a special case, I'm aware. It was to make a point.

I wasn't even thinking of affirmative action when I started this thread =)

I was actually just wondering why it is that so many minority students choose to not apply at all to our school. We can't say its because our school isn't academically challenging or doesn't offer in-demand majors and degrees. We can't even say its because they won't get financial aid, or they won't get accepted, as we give out a LOT of aid and our standards are actually lower than many of the other public schools in Tx. I just can't figure out what it is. Is it the lack of school pride?

Perhaps they don't feel as welcome at Tx State as they do at other universities? Either way, its sad to me that we might be missing out on having some great people attend our school because they don't feel like they belong here. I also hate that some of my closest friends have been shunned by people at this school for a very stupid reason. Everybody always says Tx State is full of friendly people, but appearently it's not.

I'll try to answer your question because I understand what you were trying to ask... you were asking why minorities don't apply to Texas State and what can we do as a school to encourage more diversity???

I didn't read into the question anything about lowering standards (quite frankly the standards here are lower than at UT and I always see more blacks and other minorities walking around at UT). Blacks are a diverse community but we are also a community that shares a lot of hear say and if we hear that this school over here is hostile to minorities or if this school over here is friendly and diverse, guess which school we would rather spend our 4 yrs at??? life is too short to spend it at somewhere not friendly towards you.

Also, I've heard a lot of people saying things like look at A&M they have less minorities than us! I would say first that isn't true from what I hear and second the minorities themselves say that just being an aggie gives them a sense of community with whites even, that transends race in a way. for me and a lot of my black friends we are constantly trying to prove ourselves but after a while that gets tiresome and you just want to go to a place where people can handle the race issue without flipping out and reading too many things into it!

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post TS divesity etc.
One thing seems fairly certain to me, having different standards for different races are not the way to go about having diversity. There is nothing that makes me less able to pass a test because of my race than anyone else. I am not less capable of learning nor lack the drive to do so, and I think that the stumble point for many folks. It does not matter how light or dark you are what matters is if you apply yourself. Hard work is rewarded well, but using race, as an excuse for not having the breaks everyone else had is just ignorant. Life is not fair, never has been, and never will be. Dont get me wrong I’ve had dealings with many prejudice people through my years, and I would submit that everyone is prejudice toward someone or something. I know that sometimes folks do get put back because of their race but that should only encourage them to work harder in school, life, whatever…and thus stop playing the part of a victim. To qualify this let me just say I’m a mix of Mexican, German, and Polish blood lines so I’ve seen all sides of it, from some of my own family members treating me different to having to deal with the normal idiots in public, for some i'm too white for others too dark. None of its pretty but it makes you stronger if you get off your butt and work at proving by deeds and actions that your as good as anyone else. Thats hard to do when the various leaders are telling you that you dont have to score as well as your anglo buddy because your not white.
~flag~

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I dunno, being from a split racial family (mom white, dad black) i think about all of this quite often and i have come to this conclusion:

(a)When people stop giving handouts to minorites we'll see progress. (b)When minorities learn to identify themselves firstly as something other than their race, we'll see progress. Getting into a school based on anything other than knowledge is insulting. If i got into the schools i did because of race is irrelevant to me because (speaking as modestly as i can while maintaining my argument) i know i'm more than qualified to succeed at all of the schools i was accepted into.

Now, as for the on-campus minorities. Making them feel at home in school by creating a "Race-friendly enviorment" will do just as much harm as good, because last time i check the Real-World THEY need to be ready for is a world that isn't perfect. Live with it. People only grow when they meet a challenge and overcome it, and thats all this is. Something minority groups must be able to overcome and affitmative action in my opinion just gives them a quick fix. I'm no sociologist by any means but speaking somewhat personally the only thing that makes me feel out of place is when groups seperate themselves because they feel they have to. Being a nice, caring person transcends racical boundries and yeah, if a "minority" is in a community that may look past them for one reason or another they need to just put themselves forth even more so, and more often than not it'll pay off. If it doesn't work the problem doesn't lie in the minority, but the mindset of the majority (or at least that one individual who belongs to the majority)

I'm positive this thread will keep going in circles as it has over the years but just know that the problem exists outside texas state.

Take a snap shot here. 4 years from now his brain will be full of mush and he won't know right from wrong or up from down.

Isn't liberal academia grand? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:

Take a snap shot here. 4 years from now his brain will be full of mush and he won't know right from wrong or up from down.

Isn't liberal academia grand? :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't understand what you're saying...are you saying that i have liberal views and sooner or later i'll "Learn" or are you saying that College (because its liberal) will make me think otherwise (and you're probably right if thats what you're saying, i've seen it happen to people).

If you're saying my views are liberal...read again....my ideals would give strict policy fans a wet dream.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:12 pm
SuperCat

Come on people. Are we still debating whether or not racism exists??? It is easy for people in the majority (like me) to advocate being color blind, but that overlooks large scale societal factors that marginalize people of color. I am not even sure it is so much about any other color except the green stuff. For people in power to remain in power, the people on the bottom have to be held down. There is not room at the top of everybody. Remember the saying that "to the victor go the spoils" The rules and laws of our society are developed by wealthy white men and always have. These laws are SPECIFICALLY designed to keep the people on top at the top and the people on bottom at the bottom. Now I know I am not saying anything here that smarter people than me have long stated.

In our debate, poorer school districts get less money so the quality of education is lower. Then we blame these students when they cannot "compete" with the mostly white students who have more priviledged educations. In answering the responses that I know will come, yes it is possible for a person of color to become successful and yes there are disadvantaged peope who are white. But in the big scheme, when controlling for all other factors, white people have many more opportunities than people of color because we make the rules and run the institutions. Simple as that.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

my ideals would give strict policy fans a wet dream.

This is what I'm saying. College professors are going to try and convince you that mushy liberalism solves the world's problems.

Remember these people live in a bubble and get paid to think from inside that bubble. The fact that college professors tell people HOW they should live should always be considered since most of them couldn't make a living outside of the tower. It is complete hypocrisy.

Don't buy mushy liberalism for a second.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
my ideals would give strict policy fans a wet dream.

This is what I'm saying. College professors are going to try and convince you that mushy liberalism solves the world's problems.

Remember these people live in a bubble and get paid to think from inside that bubble. The fact that college professors tell people HOW they should live should always be considered since most of them couldn't make a living outside of the tower. It is complete hypocrisy.

Don't buy mushy liberalism for a second.

I agree with you, competely. Infact my debate coach graduated from Teas State in 2003 (or 2002, don't remember which) and all he does is patronize me about my views on things, including the topic we're discussing here. All he does is tell me how i'll see his point once i'm in an "academic enviorment" aka college. The funny thing is malleus, you describe this guy perfectly and you've never even met him. Priceless.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The funny thing is malleus, you describe this guy perfectly and you've never even met him. Priceless.

I SHOULD be able to describe 'em. I work with a ton of them.

After all a robot is a robot is a robot.

Not all professors are this way, the vast majority aren't. Once in a while, you will come across one that just can't help him or herself and they have to tell you about all the wonderful things they "know." Those are the ones you need to stay away from because they are convinced they are right, no discussion needs to be had.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:52 pm
Junior Bobcat

I don't want to get into the affirmative action thing, but as far as I've heard, our school has one of the most diverse campuses in Texas.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

When I walk down the quad it looks diverse to me.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Last edited by CatManDo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Rate public high schools....students from lower rated schools will have lower admission criteria and students from the higher rated schools will have higher admission criteria. Race wouldn't be a factor.

Problem solved.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:56 pm