Diversity 

Does Texas State need to adopt measures to become more diverse?
Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:52 pm
yes 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
a few 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
no 73%  73%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 30

Diversity 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Diversity
Is it just me, or does our school seem to suffer from a pretty major lack of diversity? Anyone got any ideas about why? (I have some of my own ideas but wonder what other people, especially students, think about this.)

Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Diversity
rtrnngbobcat wrote:
Is it just me, or does our school seem to suffer from a pretty major lack of diversity? Anyone got any ideas about why? (I have some of my own ideas but wonder what other people, especially students, think about this.)

They should admit the best and brightest students regardless of if the adminstration wants to engage in racism to admit lessor students.

Last edited by TexasState03 on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:30 pm
Junior Bobcat

Quote:
They should admit the best and brightest students regardless of it the adminstrations wants to engage in racism to admit lessor students.

I concur with this statement.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Biff wrote:
Quote:
They should admit the best and brightest students regardless of it the adminstrations wants to engage in racism to admit lessor students.

I concur with this statement.

Yep

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasState03 wrote:
rtrnngbobcat wrote:

They should admit the best and brightest students regardless of if the adminstration wants to engage in racism to admit lessor students.

Yup, if you are color blind and take the best, the diversity thing takes care of itself. If you SELECT people because of their race you are by definition being a racist. End of story.

If you think that Texas State has a problem with diversity, you should step foot on some of the campuses of other major universities in Texas like Tech or A&M.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:34 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Wow. Not the answers I was expecting. I agree that students should be admitted based on strong academic showing. In fact, I used to believe that all references to race should be omitted from all college applications. Until experience taught me better.

When I graduated 5th in my high school class and was unable to find a scholarship to help me pay my way at highly selective schools like Cornell and Brown, I was very upset. (I am not a minority student btw) I was appalled that 4 years of the most advanced classes, a 4.0 average, an endlessly long list of extracurriculars including officer positions, a history of volunteer work, holding down a steady job the entire last 2 years of high school, and the fact that my parents were relatively poor would help me. When it came down to it, I lost a major scholarship to someone who's parents had more money, had lower grades, and fewer extracurriculars because they were a minority student and I was not. Needless to say, I was very angry. I came to Texas State because I've had to work my way through college and it was all I could afford at the time. I wasn't expecting much in the way of an academic challenge, but I was wrong about that. I also never expected that the lack of diversity on our campus would bother me so much. The high school I went to was a pretty even split as far as races go. When I got to SWT in 1999 it was like culture shock. EVERYBODY looked the same. (blonde, white) In fact, My roommate (who is half-hispanic) and I used to share stories about how we were the only girl in some of our classes that had dark hair. It was so bad that the only time I saw people of any other race was when I looked across the quad to the marquee. Back then, it was pretty much the only "hang out" on campus for minority students. I used to wonder why it seemed like they all only hung out with each other in one place. Until I really thought about it and really saw how they were treated by the school and their fellow students. If the majority is hostile towards you, you tend to band together with people who identify with what you are going through.

An African American friend of mine from high school recently came to Tx State for grad school, and has had a very rough time. She is one of the nicest people I know and she is very friendly and outgoing, yet she has made very few friends since she got here. She's always telling me about how people she didn't even know would talk to her at her previous school, but here, no one even looks her way. That is absolutely ridiculous. If someone on our campus won't talk to another student just because they look different, how are they going to react when they graduate and get a job where their boss looks different?

Part of getting a college education is getting preparation for the "real world". Part of being in the real world is learing how to properly have dealings with people who are completely different from you. It's also not safe to assume that people who get into colleges only got there because they were "filling a quota". That girl that won my scholarship? I later found out that she came from an abusive home and had spent time in foster care as a child. She didn't have the nice 2-parent home life I had and wasn't given all the chances I was given that lead me to excel academically in high school.

Granted, things have improved at Tx State in the last 6 years, but I think they have a long way to go. I don't think the school should admit people just because they are of a certain race, but I do think they should make our school more appealing to minorities. There is something very wrong with the fact that minority students (even the straight A students) don't seem to want to come to school here.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree with all the replies to this post. Furthermore, I think the school's student population represents the diversity of this part of the state pretty well.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:
TexasState03 wrote:
rtrnngbobcat wrote:

Yup, if you are color blind and take the best, the diversity thing takes care of itself. If you SELECT people because of their race you are by definition being a racist. End of story.

If you think that Texas State has a problem with diversity, you should step foot on some of the campuses of other major universities in Texas like Tech or A&M.

actually, that's not really a definition of racism. racism is the belief that certain inherent characteristics and differences make one race superior to another. it can also be characterized by prejudice and discrimination based on race -- but that is typically understood to mean discrimination based on antipathy toward other races. in any case, instituting policies designed to increase diversity on campus does not necessarily mean not taking the best and brightest. it can mean working harder to identify those in under-represented populations who are qualified for admission and encouraging them, specifically, to apply. it can also mean advocating policies designed to ensure that more individuals from under-represented populations attain the needed qualifications. and, of course, it can mean easing requirements for people from under-represented populations because a diverse campus is considered a positive influence on the university experience for all students and important to a stable society in general. one can reasonably agree or not with any of those policies and not be a racist.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:14 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Malleus wrote:
TexasState03 wrote:
rtrnngbobcat wrote:

WHAT?!? The only way that first part would be true is if you lined up twin sisters who went to the same schools, had the same family life, and all of the same life chances. If I had gone to a poorer public school that was unable to hire an adequate number of teachers, or a school that couldn't afford computers, or a school that didn't even offer athletics or music classes because they couldn't afford to, I'm sure my grades would have sufferred too. If you are fortunate enough to go to a school that can have classes with less than 40 students and can teach you subjects beyond the three "R's" you will naturally have a step up. If your parents can send you to a private school and hire an afterschool one-on-one tutor for you, your grades will be better than little Johnny who's parents are immigrants who don't speak English. That's why colleges ask about your extracurriculars and home life on applications. They understand that there are MANY things that contribute to academic performance.

Also, I think everyone can agree that Tx State is not exactly know for having high standards or accepting "only the best and brightest". My brother got in with a mediocre SAT score and a "C" average in high school. There's a reason people are always saying we are a "fallback" school for UT. (and boy do I hate when they say that-some of us picked our school OVER going to UT even though we were guaranteed admission to both) Yet, even with our realtively low standards we still aren't diverse? That's scary.

I agree with the 2nd part of your post. Those schools are known for their lack of diversity (among other things). But do you really want high school kids to think of coming to our school, then change their minds just because we are "one of the schools all the white people go to"? I'm white, and that would bother the hell out of me.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:28 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

atxman wrote:
Malleus wrote:
TexasState03 wrote:
rtrnngbobcat wrote:

actually, that's not really a definition of racism. racism is the belief that certain inherent characteristics and differences make one race superior to another. it can also be characterized by prejudice and discrimination based on race -- but that is typically understood to mean discrimination based on antipathy toward other races. in any case, instituting policies designed to increase diversity on campus does not necessarily mean not taking the best and brightest. it can mean working harder to identify those in under-represented populations who are qualified for admission and encouraging them, specifically, to apply. it can also mean advocating policies designed to ensure that more individuals from under-represented populations attain the needed qualifications. and, of course, it can mean easing requirements for people from under-represented populations because a diverse campus is considered a positive influence on the university experience for all students and important to a stable society in general. one can reasonably agree or not with any of those policies and not be a racist.

Finally a kindred soul :applause: :-||

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

By lowering standards for some race over another you ARE stating that one race is superior to the other and you have to lower standards in order to diversify. Thus RACISM.

Read about Hopwood and the results of going to the 10% rule (mainly diversity without resorting to preferential treatment to certain races). Affirmative Action is racism.

Get over your PC crap. You sound like a fool.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

in fact, advocating lower admission standards for some of one race is not the same as saying another race is superior. it can simply be an acknowledgement that opportunities for one have been better than for the other. put another way, if i make it easier for a starving person to obtain food but don't do the same for someone who's not starving, that doesn't necessarily mean i consider the latter superior. it just might be that the former's farmland is less fertile than the latter's. again, one can debate whether lower standards for some is a good thing or a bad thing or whether such policies contribute or hurt progress toward a prosperous society for everyone. but the position one takes, for or against, doesn't make you a racist. nor does supporting or opposing other strategies that promote diversity on campus.

in any case, i'm not sure what "PC crap" i need to get over. and while i don't think you're a fool, for an educated person you do sound ridiculously hostile to anyone who disagrees with you.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You assume that because one race is more likely to have higher scores than the other it was because of socio-economic background.

Well why would you assume that one race has a better socio-economic background than the other?

Well because you are a RACIST.

Yup, you fell for it.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If more African-Americans, Asian-Americans, or any other hyphen Americans want to apply to the school, they can and should. I downright encourage it. However, they shouldn't be granted any sort of preferential treatment over other students BECAUSE of their race. If they're accepted to the school on a level playing field with other kids, then we can talk about financial aid opportunities to those kids that come from a poorer background.

I agree, it's a sad fact of life that some kids don't have all the same opportunities as other kids from the start. However, part of high school is preparing students for college. If those students haven't been prepared adequately for a real university and they aren't accepted, they can always go to a community college and get better prepared and reapply after they've done their two years there. You don't see Harvard lowering their standards because certain applicants didn't have all the same benefits as the others to be prepped to go to Harvard do you?

*Before any idiots make comments about Harvard being a special case, I'm aware. It was to make a point.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

HA! I caught you in the racism trap.

You assume that because one race is more likely to have higher scores than the other it was because of socio-economic background.

Well why would you assume that one race has a better socio-economic background than the other?

Well because you are a RACIST.

Yup, you fell for it.

ummm, no.

in the first place, i didn't say (or assume) that one race is more likely to have higher scores than the other because of socio-economic background. but that would hardly be a racist position in any case because it says nothing about the inherent genetically based superiority of one race over another (which, in fact, doesn't exist).

in the second place, i didn't take a stand one way or another about why some social groups might (or might not) have higher scores.

what i did say was that it's possible that a non-racist individual could support lower standards for some if they thought that segment of the population had fewer opportunities (for myriad reasons) than others and that it would be beneficial to society in general to use such a strategy to help make up for such deficient opportunities. and i said one could agree or disagree with that position without necessarily being racist.

try again?

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm