Fraternity pledge dies, TXST suspends all Greek activity 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Fraternity pledge dies, TXST suspends all Greek activity
Quote:
Dear Bobcat Community:

As president of Texas State University, I am deeply saddened by the tragic death of one of our students who attended an off-campus social event on Sunday evening hosted by members of a university fraternity. Following a call from friends, officers with the San Marcos Police Department found Matthew Ellis, a Phi Kappa Psi pledge, unresponsive on Monday morning at an apartment off campus. He was pronounced dead after EMS personnel were unable to revive him. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and the Texas State Community.

As a result of this tragedy, I have suspended activities of all Greek fraternity and sorority chapters at Texas State. These chapters are prohibited from holding new-member events, chapter meetings, social functions, and philanthropic activities until a thorough review of the Greek Affairs system is completed.

I have asked Dr. Joanne Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, who has responsibility for the Greek Affairs system, to immediately initiate this review and propose recommendations for reinstating fraternity and sorority chapters that demonstrate a commitment to the core values of Texas State and the ideals established by their respective national organizations.

It is imperative that our entire university community develop a culture that places the highest priority on the safety of its students, faculty, and staff.

Sincerely,

Denise M. Trauth
President

http://www.statesman.com/news/breaking- ... f2LRuOd7K/

Quote:
San Marcos police on Tuesday were investigating the death last weekend of a Texas State University sophomore, authorities at the university said.

University spokesman Matt Flores confirmed the death of 20-year-old Matthew Ellis, a business administration sophomore from Humble, but could not provide any other details.

San Marcos authorities would not provide any more information either, but said additional details would be available later on Tuesday.

The University Star, Texas State’s student newspaper, said Ellis was a new member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, and that he died in his sleep on Monday after his fraternity’s initiation.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Fraternity pledge dies, TXST suspends all Greek activity
all over the national news shows this morning.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The part that gets missed is there have been several other incidents over the last two years that culminated in this. Greek life at Texas State has a cancer, and it has been festering for a while. I was a GDI, but I see benefit for some students in having Greek organizations. Unfortunately, the train has gone off the tracks. Some innocents are obviously affected, but they've done a shitty job of policing themselves and get to go for the ride.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

a cancer? like what?

i don't quite understand how shutting down an entire system for the actions of a single house is fair, or effective. one house doesn't have any pull w/ any other, and punishing all for the actions of one is simply a way for universities to appear as if they are doing something about something they will never have control of - students drinking.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'd be surprised if this was in response to this incident alone. I suspect Trauth has never seen a lot of value in Greek organizations, and after suspending four other fraternities at the start of the year, over another death, she probably decided punishing bad organizations was becoming like a game of whack-a-mole, and this was the last straw.

There seems to be a growing anti-Greek sentiment in general, with too many deaths, too many rapes, too many misogynistic messages spray painted on bedsheets, etc. Obviously with stories like those being so quick to go viral, it's easy for Trauth to see the problem as more widespread than it probably is, but it's easy for prospective students to see it that way as well. Maybe Trauth thinks this will be good for enrollment.

In the end, I expect Greek life to resume, with some significantly more stringent rules about how alcohol and pledge activities will be handled. I expect a lot of rules about how parties will be managed, to ensure systems are in place to prevent this sort of thing.

Last edited by lurker on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

lurker wrote:
In the end, I expect Greek life to resume, with some significantly more stringent rules about how alcohol and pledge activities will be handled. I expect a lot of rules about how parties will be managed, to ensure systems are in place to prevent this sort of thing.

not sure if that is possible. pretty sure she had already banned all alcohol after the death last year, but i could be wrong. hard to google that right now w/ this incident all over the news.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
lurker wrote:

not sure if that is possible. pretty sure she had already banned all alcohol after the death last year, but i could be wrong. hard to google that right now w/ this incident all over the news.

It is hard to Google, and even without this incident, it's always been a challenge to find information on this topic. She may have banned alcohol. I don't know either, and if she did, I don't know how the ban was worded. I'm expecting requirements for organizations to have very specific systems in place, to enforce the rules, with stiff penalties for failing to have those systems in place. That could mean requirements to register any parties with UPD, hire security staff, dunno. The possibilities are endless.

I question how effective any of it will be, for the reason you already gave - it's college students drinking.

Honestly, part of me thinks banning Greek life is a step in the wrong direction (not just ineffective, but counterproductive), because it takes away the means to hold a large group accountable for anything, and it takes away the potential for group leadership to keep everyone in check, so that bad shit doesn't happen. If someone dies at a GDI party, good luck holding more than a couple of people responsible. Good luck getting anyone to tell Joe Sagewood that he should have any control over what people are doing at his party. I've been to countless city council meetings where dimwits like Chris Jones said that it was unreasonable to expect the host of a party to have any control over who is there, or what they are doing. At least with fraternities, that bullshit doesn't hold up.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Several other greek orgs were already under some form of probation, deferred suspension, etc. This isn't the first death... there's been several over the last few years. Basically, I think Trauth pulled the cord and decided there is a pervasive problem with a substantial portion or perhaps the majority of greek orgs. I can see why administration would get tired of whack-a-mole.

I found a list of current suspensions/probations prior to this action, but it is now hopelessly buried in the google juice.

You aren't going to see them banned, but I think you are going to see a drastic thinning of the greek herd with some kind of elaborate process to get the suspension lifted one organization at a time.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am
True Bobcat Fan

lurker wrote:
Honestly, part of me thinks banning Greek life is a step in the wrong direction (not just ineffective, but counterproductive), because it takes away the means to hold a large group accountable for anything, and it takes away the potential for group leadership to keep everyone in check, so that bad shit doesn't happen. If someone dies at a GDI party, good luck holding more than a couple of people responsible.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 am
Bobcat Wannabe

As a active student and a alumni of one of the chapters who got kicked off, it is obvious Trauth has agenda to rid school of Greek Life. While many of the negative stereotypes can be true there is so much positive that the news outlets (especially that biased as hell University Star) does not show. I’m deeply saddened we had to lose a fellow Bobcat binge drinking is by no means exclusive to Greek Life as it being portrayed

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
punishing all for the actions of one is simply a way for universities to appear as if they are doing something about something they will never have control of - students drinking

With my favorite Saul post of all time I'm making it my signature from now on. Trauth loves to assoicate all that is wrong with society as existing exlusively in fraternities when in reality the problem lies with college campuses becoming 'Godless'. As a fraternity man who once had a chapter house on campus I've been familiar with the Phi Psis (Sci-Fis :twisted: i) chapter back in the day. They were always a very awkward bunch but never had any personal beef with them. Even though this terrible thing happened off campus I know what the scrutiny feels like to have the spotlight always on you with a chapter house on campus. Awful situation all around

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
the problem lies with college campuses becoming 'Godless'.

holy hell. :roll:

Bobbumman wrote:
As a fraternity man who once had a chapter house on campus

at swt/txst? what house has ever been on campus in san marcos?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I know nothing is technically on campus Saul, I'm just saying from where the KA house is/was on Academy and Lindsey all the way down North St and Comanche St where the TKE houses used to be by the small HEB to be 'on campus' in that the University keeps a particularly close watch on those houses in general.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

then that house is what you would consider "on-campus". 428 n comanche.

and no, the university doesn't pay any more or less attention to them. upd certainly never did.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I had no idea Phi Psi moved to the old MASJID house. When I was there they were at the old house on the way to San Marcos hall and the rec center. Seeing as San Jacinto hall is right across the street from them yeah I would consider them pretty much on campus. I had no idea that it happened in official chapter house as you are saying? The article talked about the body being discovered on Post Road by the Outpost. Maybe UPD was easy on that area when you were there becasue it wasn't in the last 10 years but they made all kinds of excessive house visits when I was there for almost no reason at all.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:56 pm