Fall 2016 Enrollment 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Fall 2016 Enrollment
First I want to say that I know that this is a very touchy subject and one that is difficult to address.

I think that it is fine to increase certain populations as long as it's done in a legit way. Do they do this with just advertising? Do they turn down more qualified people in favor of one specific race to try and match the community ratios? Do they do this for all races? If so, is this the ethical thing to do? It's not from an individuals point of view. I take issue because I was discriminated against back in the day and it took opportunities away from me.

Funny how things are still the same 30 years later.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Good Stats, Someone.

I can tell you that the school both kids go to, is in Plano.

The majority of the student body at their school is Asian and Indian. That is why their school rank is so low (not an excuse, a reality).

I hope they can do well on the SAT as that may help their cause into acceptance at TXST.

I hate to say this, but both students are white (male and female) and one set of parents told my wife that they assumed that the school had their "quota" of white males...and that's why they were denied admission. I sure hope that isn't the case.

It's crazy to think of the requirements to get into school these day. If that were the case in my day, I would have never been a SWT student.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The Supreme Court struck down racial quotas nearly 40 years ago. Recent Supreme Court decisions have further limited (but not ended) affirmative action policies in college admissions (as you all know, of course). As for HSI status, the Texas State administration said at the start that they were not lowering standards for any students. They shouldn't have to anyway. More than half of the public school enrollment in Texas is now Hispanic. So we should expect that public universities here would have a substantial (and growing) Hispanic enrollment. And that's good for the state's economy and future. Finally, as someone else posted, admission is assured if you meet the university's requirements: http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/futur ... ments.html (I do wonder how long that policy will remain in place. Has anyone ever seen a statement someplace about whether the administration wants to cap enrollment at a particular level? I would imagine there's some number that would be considered too high, but I don't know what that is.)

Last edited by atxman on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 pm
SuperCat

as it is with Texas State and all other public universities in Texas with the exception of UT Austin if you meet the admissions metrics you are GUARANTEED to be admitted

there is no situation where you meet the admissions standards and then you go for a secondary review where they try and craft a freshman class that meets a particular demographic makeup

and even with UT Austin if you are in the top 8% of your HS class you are IN GUARANTEED

and after that UT does do "individual reviews" from there

and in the case of UT Austin they are allowed to keep their auto admits to 75% of their total freshman class and one year prior to the next admissions period they have to notify the state and publish the HS class standing metric that they will be using for the next class

so in the current case to limit their freshman class to 75% auto admits they will allow in students from the top 8% of their HS class.....it has been as low as 7% and it will change so that UT only auto admits 75% and the rest are "individual review"

all the others in Texas have a 10% rule and cannot change it and from there all the others including A&M have guaranteed admissions for students below that as well with the most restrictive being A&M where students in the 11% to 25% range need a 1300 (old) SAT

from there is is UTD with what I published before and from there it is Texas Tech and then from there UTA, Texas State, UH and north Texas state are all very similar and from there probably UTSA

so as long as a student meets the HS class rank AND the corresponding SAT/ACT (if not in the top 10%) they are GUARANTEED to be admitted no matter their race or the racial makeup of the freshman class

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Thanks for posting that, Someone. Good info.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:35 pm
SuperCat

you are welcome thanks for participating in higher ed discussions one of my favorite topics :sombrero:

and the Texas Tech enrollment is in 36,551

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was shocked to read that more that 50% of HS students are Hispanic. The state of Texas really is a huge melting pot.

Does anyone have an idea of the percentage of HS graduates in TX that go off to College?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

https://www.tgslc.org/research/pdf/SOSA15.pdf

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It's the earlier grades that have the highest percentages of Hispanic enrollment. The demographic tsunami folks have been talking about for a long time arrived a few years ago, and now we're seeing it sweep throughout the state.

It's good to see the percentages of African-American and Hispanic students going on to college are up. I'd like to see the percentage of white students also increasing instead of staying pretty much the same.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 pm
SuperCat

UTSA checks in at 28,959

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
Even though, they both attend the #22 ranked HS in the Nation, and their parents are Alums of TXST....

in looking for that ranking, and not finding anything that matches in plano, let's start with the understanding that there's a slew of rankings for high schools and none really mean all that much.
GMAN wrote:
I know 2 HS students who've applied to TXST, with 3.45 and 3.55 GPA (along with College accredited classes) and one was rejected and the other is on a waiting list because they are not in the top 50% ranking, of their graduating class of 1,400 students.

if it's a school that big, and ranked that highly (by someone), i'd be willing to bet they are on a 5.0 scale, not 4.0, which is why they aren't in the top 50%. granted, that's simply going off of my experience w/ westlake students, which is a similar profile school.
GMAN wrote:
To boost their enrollment #'s, TXST just look at students in the top 25% of their class regardless of their GPA or size of their class...

the goal of boosting enrollment numbers and the action of restricting prospective students are at odds with one another.
GMAN wrote:
Needless to say, the parents have soured on TXST

:lol: :lol: the parents need to understand population, enrollment numbers and math a little better. it's not rocket science to understand the forces at work here. there's a reason texas exports an assload of midrange hs graduates to oos flagships.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul
Quote:
there's a reason texas exports an assload of midrange hs graduates to oos flagships.

I have known kids in the Houston area that ended up at LSU for this very reason. At least one partied himself out of LSU and had to go to UH. 8)

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:18 am
SuperCat

it is a catch 22 of perception

with the exception of UT and A&M (and Tech and UTD some now) most Texas public universities are seen as easy to get into and not all that great of a university as compared to some out of state "flagship"

but the reality is those out of state "flagship" universities are generally not that hard to get into

take LSU as an example

http://sites01.lsu.edu/wp/admissions/be ... uirements/

you need a 3.0 HS GPA and a 22 ACT or an 1100 (new) SAT

and they encourage students that do not meet those metrics to apply anyway

for Texas State as a comparison

http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/futur ... ments.html

top 10% auto admit and unless you went to the worst high school in Texas you should have well over a 3.0 GAP to be in the top 10% and unless you are just stupid or again went to the worst HS in Texas if you are top 10% you should pull a 1100 (new) SAT or a 22 ACT

and for the top quarter it is a 1000 (new) SAT or a 20 ACT and really a 3.0 GPA is not going to get you into the top quarter at any DECENT or better HS in Texas much less a competitive one like discussed in this thread

so then you are in the second quarter and those Texas State admissions standards are just the exact same as LSU 1090 (new) SAT (OK 10 points different) 22 ACT

so again anyone with a 3.0 GPA at a decent to good HS in Texas would have to meet the second tier Texas State admissions which means they would meet the LSU admissions as well

so the "perception" for many is "go to LSU"

OkState

https://admissions.okstate.edu/admission-requirements

pretty much exactly the same as Texas State and LSU

OU are actually just nonsense they really do not list them out like most do

Arkansas is similar to OU kind of nonsense basically "apply"

Ole' Miss (they get a lot of Texas students)

out of state is easier than Texas State IMO

http://admissions.olemiss.edu/applying- ... /freshmen/

but the dilemma is for Texas State and others to improve their PERCEPTION they have to improve their admissions standards (even though these out of state "flagships" don't) because they are a "flagship" of that state and thus they have the research, the larger offering of professional degrees, often time the athletics ect that people equate with a "good university"

but of course as admissions become tougher you end up turning students away and they go to easier to get into out of state schools.......and it takes much longer for the fact that you are now attracting highly competitive students with tougher admissions to improve the perception and you still need the research, degree offerings and even some athletics offerings to round out the "perception"

I think as it stands now Texas State would benefit from a well studied and well planned small increase in admissions standards that is based on a great deal of analysis of student success with current admissions and then a well planned and publicized announcement about that increase

possibly even going with a "medium" increase broken up over 3 years or so with a small bump and then a slightly bigger bump 3 years later

UTSA of course lost some meaningful enrollment with their single very large increase and that decision was made pretty quickly overall, but after that single year drop they have held steady and started to grow slightly and as of now they are getting some "young university" accolades and some other publicity and their graduation rates are showing marked improvement as well so it is paying off there

overall the graduation rates for Texas State are very good especially relative to the admissions standards so Texas State is doing a good job of graduating students, but I think to see any improvement on those numbers it will have to probably be in conjunction with adjustments to admissions standards as well

the other factor is research productivity and here again Texas State is doing extremely well and really they are actually exceeding even their own best expectations in their strategic plan for research.....Texas State has had some "very good years" on the grant funding front and who knows if that will keep up as these things go up and down to a degree, but the new degree offerings and the faculty and students that some with that help as well, but there again it needs to be publicized and it needs to be publicized PROPERLY since a general comparison to a flagship from another state is not going to be a good comparison.....it needs to have the context of "recent growth" and "graduate enrollment" ect in that comparison to make it look it's best

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Canaquedista Man wrote:
At least one partied himself out of LSU...

That's possible? :lol:

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

As a follow up, Both students were accepted to LSU, Arky, Ole Miss, LSU and OK State, one was accepted to TXST but accidentally received the wrong letter, that they were not accepted (neither applied to OU).

Both kids' first choice was TXST and both ended up going choosing Arky (the outcome of the Arky-TXST did not play into either decision.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:53 am