Fall 2016 Enrollment 
SuperCat

Post Fall 2016 Enrollment
and the numbers are in

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releas ... 91916.html

First I agree with what was said in the "big announcement" thread in the football forum that "enrollment just to be bigger" should never be a goal

but there are some important things in this announcement

""The College of Science and Engineering reported an all-time high enrollment of 6,253 students""

that is pretty big and shows that starting those engineering programs was a big deal for the university

even bigger is that the new building is finally coming and there looks to be Civil and Environmental Engineering degrees on the way along with the same for "engineering technology" and there is a discussion for Mechanical Engineering as well and the addition of those programs would be another major factor

the second important thing here is:

""Nearly 52 percent of incoming Texas State freshmen ranked in the top quartile of their high school graduating class, a quality metric important to the university’s goal of becoming a top-tier research university.""

last year that was 44% and I had said in the past in the NRUF thread that I felt it was not a major deal at this time to be below the 50% mark, but that it was important to stay near that mark to be able to move back above it when the time came

well moving back above it by 2% and also moving back up from 44% is a pretty nice jump and I had also said that I thought the engineering programs would help contribute to meeting that NRUF goal and it looks like that is happening

if Texas State can stay above 50% that will be a second of the four criteria needed after the $45 million in restricted research

the other two criteria that Texas State can most likely meet are endowment and five faculty of distinction

the five faculty of distinction is probably helped with new engineering programs that can recruit those faculty and Texas has a new program in place to give dollars to help recruit those types of faculty if the university can come up with donations and university funds as well

it is not impossible with effort to lure two of those types faculty in a single year

the endowment will probably be the hardest to meet it is probably time to start putting together a capital campaign plan

here are other enrollment numbers

UH 43,797
UTA 39,714
:texasstate: 38,849
north Texas state 37,973
Texas Tech 36,551
UTSA 28, 959
UTEP 23,922
UTD not out yet

TWU and Angelo State were also up as well

so the good news is that growth for Texas state does not appear to be coming strictly from "just let people in" and in fact it appears as though at least freshman HS class standing metrics are improving with growth and probably thanks in part to the engineering degree offerings and there should be more of those to come

edited to add Texas Tech second edit to add UTSA

Last edited by Someone on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Fall 2016 Enrollment
I agree--this was a big reason for boosting the science & engineering. Those are huge needs in Texas (which means easier access to state funding), those programs tend to have more Fed/private grants/research opportunities available, and those programs tend to attract higher performing HS students interested in pursuing STEM degrees.

An 8% jump in top quartile admissions is massive.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

UTA claiming 39,714. They passed us.

http://www.uta.edu/news/releases/2016/0 ... t-2016.php

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:53 pm
SuperCat

slycat wrote:
UTA claiming 39,714. They passed us.

http://www.uta.edu/news/releases/2016/0 ... t-2016.php

my mistake thank you I was mistakenly looking at the Spring 2016 numbers for some reason :?

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

wonder how many UTA has living on campus??
talk about a commuter college

new category
biggest commuter college
UH
UTA
NTSU
UTSA

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

If I'm not mistaken, UTA's numbers are from an enormous amount of online students. They grew over 10K in one year, I believe, a few years ago from creating those classes.

edit: We couldn't keep growing our physical numbers at such a rapid pace without severe quality issues. We needed to slow down. I would much rather do things smarter than faster.

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

Correct me if I Catmom, but I believe UTA's 39,000 enrollment number doesn't include online students. With online students, they're over 51,000.

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:39 am
SuperCat

the UTA number is "Texas Based Students" so some of them could be online, but it excludes a large portion of their online students

and really it depends on how you want to define it for a number of schools

UH has several "system centers" where the enrolled students are in the count for the UH System campus that offers the degree program they are enrolled in and if not in a specific degree I believe they are in the main campus count

north Texas state has the UCD in downtown dallas and not the foolishly named "new college" in Frisco and combined that is 500 or 600 students and they also have a large online enrollment in some of their graduate programs

Texas State, Texas Tech, UTSA, UTEP and UTD are the "emerging research universities" that have a lesser online presence, but even then the Round Rock campus is in the Texas State numbers

But that campus is fully administered by San Marcos and it is classes mostly from the health sciences college it is not close to being a full university and tons of universities across the USA have campuses apart from the main one and that often is centered around nursing and health sciences

Texas Tech has some engineering programs outside of Lubbock, but mostly graduate level and they have some nursing, pharmacy, OT/PT programs outside or Lubbock as well, but those are under the Lubbock HSC that is a separate institution so those students count for it and the El Paso HSC is now also free standing even from the Lubbock HSC so it counts on it's own

Even UT has Port Aransas and A&M of course has Galveston

as for dorms and living on campus here are the 2015 numbers

A&M 12010 dorm beds, 11606 occupied, 1266 privately owned, 10744 university owned, 1100 university owned to be taken out of service in 2016

UT 8141 dorm beds, 8141 occupied, 100% university owned

UH 8008 dorm beds, 7383 occupied, 1513 privately owned, 6495 university owned

Texas Tech 7914 dorm beds, 7602 occupied, 100% university owned, Tech does have more planned/approved for construction, but that will not be in this report it should be in the next

Texas State 6831 dorm beds, 6822 occupied, 100% university owned, 598 under construction, 1200 planned for construction through 2016

north Texas state 6216 dorm beds, 6216 occupied, 100% university owned and like Tech I believe they have more planned, but not at the time of this report

UTD 6154 dorm beds, 5991 occupied, 100% university owned, 600 under construction, 800 planned for construction through 2016.....it is funny that some (ahem see just above) always like to throw out the commuter school label at others now that they think they are past that yet they have no clue how far others are passing them by academically and in terms of total and % of on campus students.....green glasses and stuff

UTA 5972 dorm beds, 5901 occupied, 2050 privately owned, 3922 university owned, 597 privately owned under construction, 1000 university owned planned for construction through 2016, 141 university owned to be taken out of service in 2016

UTSA 4265 dorm beds, 3869 occupied, 1965 privately owned, 2300 university owned

UTEP 988 dorm beds, 683 occupied, 100% university owned

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 pm
SuperCat

tpopt wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, UTA's numbers are from an enormous amount of online students. They grew over 10K in one year, I believe, a few years ago from creating those classes.

edit: We couldn't keep growing our physical numbers at such a rapid pace without severe quality issues. We needed to slow down. I would much rather do things smarter than faster.

here are the enrollment numbers for 2008 to 2015

29,105 30,803 32,572 34,087 34,225 35,546 36,739 37,979

so the biggest jumps were 09 to 10 and 10 to 11

the 4 year graduation rates are significantly up from 2000 19.7% and 2003 22.3% when there were bumps up that were retained then another retained bump in 07 26.3% and 08 27.3% and now they are hovering right at 30% or so since 2009 to 2015

5 year was 43.3% in 2000, bumped to 50.8% in 2004 then to about the 55% range in 2009 where it has stayed with some ups and downs like most schools, but 55% or better most of those years

6 year shows a consistent gain until about 2009 to a high of 65.5% and then a bit of a drop to the 63%-64% range it looks like there could be a need to see what is happening with those students that take longer those numbers are more up and down the last few years

1 and 2 year retention rates do show some declines in the 2009 to 2010 range

other schools with similar admissions show a bit of a similar pattern, but UTD specifically does not and UH and UTSA that have both raised admissions just prior to that show some gains.....it should be noted that UTSA took a major enrollment decline they have not yet recovered from after that single large bump while UH actually saw some large enrollment gains after raising theirs the first time and still after the second increase

so what that tells "me" is that it does make a difference who you enroll and if you make them "work for it a bit" to get into your university and it also tells me that quality attracts quality and if you know you are attracting quality even in large numbers some of the other numbers will work themselves out provided you keep on top of it

UH and UTD have also been building on campus housing (as has Texas State) while UTSA not so much

I have said before I think it is time that Texas State makes some adjustments upwards to guaranteed admissions requirements and then SELLS THOSE increases to students

UH put their plan to raise them in two phases out a couple of years before the first increase and several years before the second round.....UTSA more broadsided people with theirs after I think about a year notice

I have said as many others have said that "enrollment for the sake of bigger" is 100% wrong, but there is always a factor of "popular means good reputation"

I do not think that most students are choosing a university in large numbers because it is easy to get into (look at the much smaller sizes of the multitude of universities that are much easier to get into) and with the concern of the "brain drain" of Texas students going out of state for better "opportunity" or the perception of better opportunity well the way to capture those students back is to provide them a university they feel they can be proud to say they were accepted to

and I think you can actually build enrollment based on that as well, but you have to SELL IT PROPERLY

Texas State also needs to address the student to faculty ratio, but the good news is in the formula funding matrix health sciences programs and engineering programs are funded higher and those programs have needed faculty numbers for accreditation purposes and that is where Texas State is growing

so that comes with better overall formula funding, but graduate programs come with even better formula funding and Texas State needs to work on that as well (although they are with more PhDs offered)

so steps are being taken, but private dollars would help a great deal as well to get over the "hump"

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

IMO the top quarterly % of new incoming students, doesn't mean squat.

I know 2 HS students who've applied to TXST, with 3.45 and 3.55 GPA (along with College accredited classes) and one was rejected and the other is on a waiting list because they are not in the top 50% ranking, of their graduating class of 1,400 students.

Even though, they both attend the #22 ranked HS in the Nation, and their parents are Alums of TXST....

To boost their enrollment #'s, TXST just look at students in the top 25% of their class regardless of their GPA or size of their class...

Needless to say, the parents have soured on TXST

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:06 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

GMAN wrote:

I know 2 HS students who've applied to TXST, with 3.45 and 3.55 GPA (along with College accredited classes) and one was rejected and the other is on a waiting list because they are not in the top 50% ranking, of their graduating class of 1,400 students.

Even though, they both attend the #22 ranked HS in the Nation, and their parents are Alums of TXST....

To boost their enrollment #'s, TXST just look at students in the top 25% of their class regardless of their GPA or size of their class...

What's your point? How does this mean the % in the top quarter doesn't mean anything? The gpas you mentioned are not very high for high school... If you are not even in the top half of your class, surely you wouldn't expect much of a chance of admittance.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well a 3.5 in the #22 ranked high school should explain why their rankings are at 50%. A competitive high school where students are pushed to excel makes it difficult when Colleges aren't going to take you in regardless.

The school isn't worried about the quality of students. They are concerned with specific quotas and still meeting percentages without it being obvious. Had a long e-mail chain going with Trauth/Engineering Chair about their recruitment practices. It was disappointing/frustrating.

Sucks to work so hard and be denied based on quotas.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:37 pm
SuperCat

GMAN wrote:

while I will be the first to say that a 3.5 GPA at a high quality private or very high quality public high school is much different than a 3.5 GPA at random below average dallas or HISD or San Antonio public school at the same time a class of 1,400 is pretty massive and I find it hard to believe that a 3.5 would not get a student into the top HALF of 1,400 students unless the high school was a magnet school or a very good private school

and even then in the 3rd quartile you need an 1180 (old) SAT or a 26 ACT to get auto admitted to Texas State

those are now what I would say are "low' metrics to meet, but they are not extremely high either and with a prep course and a couple of chances a kid that believes they are coming out of a very good HS well prepared for college should be able to meet those auto admit metrics

http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/futur ... ments.html

those 3rd quartile admissions are the exact same as the 3rd quartile for north Texas state and for UTA 3rd quartile is "individual review" and for UTSA it is also individual review with at least a 1,000 (old) SAT or a 21 ACT so it is not like Texas State has set the bar extremely high or above universities that I think most would desire for Texas State to be viewed as "as good" or eventually as "better than"

hell for UTD outside of the top 10% you need a 26 ACT or a 1,200 (old) SAT and for Texas Tech it is a 27 ACT or a 1290 (NEW) SAT which is 1220 (old) according to the chart

so instead of being upset with Texas State it sounds like these parents might need to break out some cash for a prep course or two and they might also see what the transfer requirements are for 30, 45 and 60 credit hours because those are generally pretty lax for all but UT Austin at Texas public universities and they can save a bit of cash as well on community college and find out how their kids stack up

hell for Texas State with 30+ hours it is a 2.25 GPA and a semester out of high school so that sounds like 3 hours of community college at night in this coming spring, 12 hours in the summer time and and 15 hours next fall and they are in by next spring

http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/futur ... 0plus.html

when a university is 38,000 students hell at some point they have to have some type of standards and since it is impossible to rate every high school even in Texas on the strength of their teaching that is where standardized test come in

I am not a big believer in "I don't test well" (what did your high school not have test how did you get in the TOP 10% "not testing well"") and I am a believer in the idea that if you claim that your high school where a 3.25 GPA might get you into the top 25% is really as good as the high school presented above where a 3.5 gets you in the 3rd quartile you should be able to crank out some type of 1,000+ (old) SAT score even in your sleep

Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

A lot of it is based on race.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 am
SuperCat

tpopt wrote:
A lot of it is based on race.

Texas State has GUARANTEED admissions so if you meet those metrics you are in period

north Texas state fans used to think that their university picked and chose students after the GUARANTEED admissions, but of course they are morons

now the 10% rule was implemented with the (now found to be failed) idea that it would allow more minorities to get into UT Austin and TAMU College Station specifically because it did away with the "biased" standardized test score requirement for those students

that has really been shown to be a failure and what it really allowed to happen was more students were admitted from rural schools and not necessarily from minority schools

and in the case of Texas State beyond the 10% rule the needed standardized test scores are really not all that high for being in the 11% to 25% range or for the 26% to 50% range either

the 51% to 75% are not "low" but they are not massively high if a student or their parent are trying to claim that their high schools is so amazing that even students in the 51% to 75% range should be getting into Texas State or similar schools pretty much automatically

really if that high school was really that tough and that rigorous that a 3.5GPA did not even get you into the top half of 1,400 students well an 1180 SAT should not be hard to pull off for that student

so while the 10% rule was about "race" (and really did not accomplish what it set out to do) I see little else about the Texas State admissions standards that could be about "race" especially with any meaningful detriment to those that are thought to have standardized test biased in their FAVOR

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:54 am