Regents approve $62.5MM TxSt Events Center (aka Strahan Fix) 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Regents approve $62.5MM TxSt Events Center (aka Strahan Fix)
Highlights:

The multi-use University Events Center will add about 81,000 gross square feet to the complex, as well as an additional 1,800 seats to Strahan’s capacity by building out the eastern side of the arena. Construction will begin February 2017, with completion expected by fall 2018.

Upon completion, Department of Athletics offices currently housed in Jowers will relocate to new facilities in the University Events Center. This will allow the consolidation of the Department of Health and Human Performance in the vacated Jowers space.

The project will expand athletic locker rooms, offices and support spaces for the men’s and women’s basketball teams, women’s volleyball, visiting teams and game officials. A new main entrance, pedestrian plaza, elevator, restrooms and concessions will upgrade the overall experience for guests.

http://smmercury.com/2016/08/18/regents-give-final-approval-to-62-5m-events-center-at-texas-state/

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Regents approve $62.5MM TxSt Events Center (aka Strahan
Can't wait.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:41 pm
SuperCat

this is a pretty big deal

I am not trying to bash on the facility at all, but when you look at it from the inside it is like "well we were building this really nice arena and then we came across some old buried nuclear waste we did not know about so we had to build this containment facility"

more so that the capacity increase for basketball or even for other university events it is about finally making the facility look really great instead of "WTF"

because the only thing you can say about that wall is....WTF

and when you look at the facility from the outside and if you know anything about construction how is it possible that building that facility with that Ved in portion leading to that horrid wall was actually cheaper than building a box and simply not putting seats on the one side of that square box instead building that V in and putting in that wall.....or more so that WTF wall

whoever was in charge when that thing was allowed to be designed and built like that should not only have been fired, but they should probably be in jail or in a mental facility

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I've never researched it closely, but my understanding is that during the era in which Strahan & Jowers was built, architectural & construction contracts were routinely awarded on a good ol' boy system. Before everyone gets judging, that was a pervasive problem throughout state and local government at that time and part of what led to state purchasing reforms.

Anyway, the story I got was that the architect was well-connected to members of the BoR and University President at the time, and mainly experienced in institutional construction with very little experience with venues. This was exacerbated by the reality at that time that television was of no consideration (we were a DII program), and basketball really wasn't any kind of big deal--it was pretty much riding the coattails of a couple of DII national championships to score a new facility. The "notch" was supposedly inspired by the trapezoidal windows on JCK, which have since been remodeled away. You actually see that "notch" appear elsewhere on campus... window sills on Evans, the inverted facade of Strahan along Aquarena Springs, etc. Strangely, the story I've always gotten is that the notch and stupid wall in Strahan was not really a case of value engineering--it was an intentional design. The wall was primarily conceived as a backdrop for commencements, etc.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

That's interesting Bleed Gold...I've never heard that perspective.

It amazes me the facilities that we were able to build while a D2 program - and why it didn't propel us into bigger and better. I played D2 football for a few years and went to several campuses for away football games and a few basketball games. Strahan and Bobcat Stadium (pre-renovation) would have been some of the nicest D2 facilities in the country as of 8-10 years ago - including some pretty good D2 programs (Pitt State, Northwest Missouri, Central Missouri).

Even including "the Wall" - I can only imagine how nice they must have been for a D2 program in the early 1980's.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 pm