TXST Volleyball 2009 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post TXST Volleyball 2009
I got a glimpse of the schedule and we have some nice home games lined up with Tech and UH coming to SM and A&M in our tourney.

Play tourneys at Missouri, Marquette, and SMU.

No Houston area games, which is a bummer, but the SMU tourney will help Dallas fans.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: TXST Volleyball 2009
I don't know if its because of the baseball season that just ended or what, but I seriously expect our girls to start winning at least one match a year against big name schools. A home victory over U of H (C-USA) would be great. Tech of course would be a great win too. Hopefully others who followed baseball closely this year will carry over their expectations to other sports too.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

ColterRay wrote:
I don't know if its because of the baseball season that just ended or what, but I seriously expect our girls to start winning at least one match a year against big name schools. A home victory over U of H (C-USA) would be great. Tech of course would be a great win too. Hopefully others who followed baseball closely this year will carry over their expectations to other sports too.

This is volleyball...the "big name" schools are not necessarily good (i.e Texas Tech), but ultimately, wins over these schools get the alumni excited. Tech was 5-26 with an RPI of over 200 last year. Only reason the RPI was not over 300 was the quality of opponents they played - in and out of conference.

Houston on the other side of things has been a very consistent program under one of the greats in the game - Bill Walton.

TXST lost some talent and they'll be be in top tier of the league - but they'll be chasing Lamar. I think the Cardinals win the SLC this year. Seriously, if any SLC school found two decent international players, they'd rip this league apart.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
ColterRay wrote:

TXST lost some talent and they'll be be in top tier of the league - but they'll be chasing Lamar. I think the Cardinals win the SLC this year. Seriously, if any SLC school found two decent international players, they'd rip this league apart.

BS, TXST will not be chasing anyone, everyone will be chasing the Bobcats, you forget we are the Champions until dethroned.

Lamar is probably taking a harder hit in losing talent than TXST, just because they lose their top setter and hitter.

TXST has their 2 top setters coming back as well as 2 out of the top 3 hitters. Bobcats could have only one SR starting next year and still win the title.

Look for another tri fecta in FB, VB, and Soccer.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thats great news HPCAT and exactly what I like to hear. Others to chase Texas State and the goal of another Tri Fecta.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

HPCAT wrote:
TXST has their 2 top setters coming back as well as 2 out of the top 3 hitters. Bobcats could have only one SR starting next year and still win the title.

Bobcats lost 3 of 4 All-SLC selections. That's your two middle blockers, who were the top two in blocks and hitting percentage.

Also lost two-dimensional player - Brown - who was the team leader in digs and second in kills - heading into the SLC tournament. It's tough to find such a good two-dimensional player. She probably would've been your stud in sand volleyball if it was around now.

Can never question the difference that good middle blockers have...and you had two of the best in the SLC - both graduated. They make such a huge difference defensively and if they are getting a hand on the ball when receiving the attack, it could make life easier for your libero, therefore giving you a great chance for a well put piece when you are putting out your own attack.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:41 am
True Bobcat Fan

Great info TT but that was really great news HPCAT I liked reading your information.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:
HPCAT wrote:

Bobcats lost 3 of 4 All-SLC selections. That's your two middle blockers, who were the top two in blocks and hitting percentage.

Also lost two-dimensional player - Brown - who was the team leader in digs and second in kills - heading into the SLC tournament. It's tough to find such a good two-dimensional player. She probably would've been your stud in sand volleyball if it was around now.

Can never question the difference that good middle blockers have...and you had two of the best in the SLC - both graduated. They make such a huge difference defensively and if they are getting a hand on the ball when receiving the attack, it could make life easier for your libero, therefore giving you a great chance for a well put piece when you are putting out your own attack.

I do not question the impact a good middle blocker can have, that is why TXST returning 4 players that averaged 50 blocks a piece is one key we are the team to beat.

LU only has 2 players returning with over 50 blocks, and loses 70% of their sets and their dig leader. TXST returns over 90% of its sets.

TXST does not lose its team leader in digs, as that is Weynand, and they return 6 out of 7 players that had over 100 digs last year, now that is depth.

Weynand, the stud from Blue Bell country, will once again probably lead the team in kills and digs, as she did last year, and will be the only SR starter.

Reality check.............TXST has the depth needed to repeat and the best coach in the SLC.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Sounds like, we should be pretty good next season, but the following season we should be really really good (assuming all these underclass athletes continue to develop)

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 am