Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Commissioner's Cup 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Commissioner's Cup
Texas State Athletics Wins Southland Conference Commissioner's Cup

Bobcats Win Ninth Straight Women's All-Sports Trophy


http://www.txstatebobcats.com/genrel/051809aaa.html



Quote:
These efforts resulted in Texas State winning its fourth overall Southland Conference Commissioner's Cup, the most by any university.


And that is without us getting the 12 for football. They gave that to UCA, we got 11.


Mon May 18, 2009 2:01 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 4125
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
CatMom wrote:
And that is without us getting the 12 for football. They gave that to UCA, we got 11.


UCA did place No. 1 in the standings. Not sure why it was thought otherwise...? :|

My "unofficial" standings (available on AGS) weren't off too bad - may have been thrown off with that affiliate membership situation at UTPA/men's tennis.

Congrats on Commish Cup nonetheless. Biggest story of it all was SLU winning the All-Men's trophy. Incredible to see a Louisiana program when one of the big three honors...

_________________
-The Terror-
Supporting the Bearkats since 1983
Image


Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
TT, if you read the *** on that page it states UCA can't receive points for particular sports because they aren't eligible for a championship. This is the same scenario if you want my opinion. They are not eligible for the championship....yet.

Why the hell has this been such a hard concept to get into people's heads? So, to give them the 12 points, even if they are not eligible, seems odd/wrong given they exclude them from receiving points in other sports for this very same reason.


Mon May 18, 2009 4:18 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 4125
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
CatMom wrote:
TT, if you read the *** on that page it states UCA can't receive points for particular sports because they aren't eligible for a championship. This is the same scenario if you want my opinion. They are not eligible for the championship....yet.

Why the hell has this been such a hard concept to get into people's heads? So, to give them the 12 points, even if they are not eligible, seems odd/wrong given they exclude them from receiving points in other sports for this very same reason.


CatMom, I just can not agree with you. It is different and I'll explain why. "Why the hell has this been such a hard concept" to get in your head? :lol:

It's pretty clear...please follow along...and I will do it in a way that even you or anyone else who reads this board can understand

UCA completes a FULL Southland schedule in football. They do in volleyball, tennis, soccer, hoops and other team sports not named cross country, track and field and golf.

In all the sports (sans XC, T&F and golf) - the Commish Cup is based off of standings. 12 points to the regular season champ and you work your way down to 0.

XC, T&F and golf are decided solely at conference championship events. You following me still?

UCA is ineligible to not only compete, but receive Commish Cup points. In being ineligible for NCAA postseason participation, they can not officially compete (i.e UCA runners being ineligible to qualify for T&F finals).

Does this answer your confusion and clear up your misinterpretation of the SLC Commish Cup procedures?

On another note... UCA did "fast-track" two sports, which will be eligible for postseason next year. Not football or hoops, which is not allowed. Can't recall which sports off the top of my head.

_________________
-The Terror-
Supporting the Bearkats since 1983
Image


Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
yep, that works and actually makes sense. :D


Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:32 pm
Posts: 412
Location: Texas
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
How the hell was UTSA within one point? What did they do well in? Basketball, and what else?

_________________
#TXST


Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:37 pm
Posts: 1717
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
Biggest story of it all was Bobcats Win Ninth Straight Women's All-Sports Trophy

_________________
http://www.wbcreative.org


Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
http://www.southland.org/fls/18400/pdf/08-09_all-sports.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=18400

Here's the fianl standings. UTSA did well in most everything they competed in.


Now, on second thought the CC does and doesn't make sense. If UCA is ineligible for Outdoor Track and Field and Golf, because they are what? individual sports? Then why not Cross Country and Tennis and indoor track? And the other sports also have championships that they are not eligible for, so what's the difference? Football has a championship, so does Basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc. They even scheduled their own games that will take place during the SLC baseball tourney (UIL Evansville) because, I assume, they knew they could not participate.

This is actually in defense of UCA. If you are eligible (for the CC) in one, or more, why not all? It's very muddled and needs to be one way or the other, IMHO.


Mon May 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 2457
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
CatMom wrote:
http://www.southland.org/fls/18400/pdf/08-09_all-sports.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=18400

Here's the fianl standings. UTSA did well in most everything they competed in.


Now, on second thought the CC does and doesn't make sense. If UCA is ineligible for Outdoor Track and Field and Golf, because they are what? individual sports? Then why not Cross Country and Tennis and indoor track? And the other sports also have championships that they are not eligible for, so what's the difference? Football has a championship, so does Basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc. They even scheduled their own games that will take place during the SLC baseball tourney (UIL Evansville) because, I assume, they knew they could not participate.

This is actually in defense of UCA. If you are eligible (for the CC) in one, or more, why not all? It's very muddled and needs to be one way or the other, IMHO.


Catmom, they are not eligible to get points in some sports, because the points are awarded based ONLY on the championship tournament finish. And since UCA is not eligible to compete in ANY championship tournaments yet, they can not receive points for the sport. In football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, softball all have regular seasons where the teams compete against themselves, and the points are awarded based on the standings of those finishes. I am not sure how standings are determined for Indoor Track and Field and Cross Country. From the best I can tell, the reason why UCA can get points in those sports, is I don't see a Championship Tournament for those sports, the finish seems to be based SOLELY on the best time that athletes posted in all the relays throughout the season.


Tue May 19, 2009 7:53 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 4125
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
CatMom wrote:
Now, on second thought the CC does and doesn't make sense. If UCA is ineligible for Outdoor Track and Field and Golf, because they are what? individual sports? Then why not Cross Country and Tennis and indoor track? And the other sports also have championships that they are not eligible for, so what's the difference? Football has a championship, so does Basketball, soccer, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc. They even scheduled their own games that will take place during the SLC baseball tourney (UIL Evansville) because, I assume, they knew they could not participate.

This is actually in defense of UCA. If you are eligible (for the CC) in one, or more, why not all? It's very muddled and needs to be one way or the other, IMHO.


I thought my above post made sense! sm_bobcat says the exact same thing! You are making this really difficult!

Tennis is not an individual sport. It's a team sport for purposes of the Commissioners Cup. Sure, you can claim individual success and national rankings by your successes during the individual season (fall) and within the dual play setup (spring).

On the baseball note. Next year - UCA plays a football game during the playoff's opening weekend against another transitional. UCA also played in a transitional volleyball championship this past year during the tournament time.

As far as cross country, it is because the SLC champion in XC does not advance to the NCAA Regionals automatically. Pretty much anyone can compete at the NCAA Regionals, but typically only the top teams in the region go (no reason to go if you don't have people to compete). So XC makes sense to me, do you get it?

May be something similar with indoor T&F. If you win an event indoors, you do not qualify for the NCAA automatically. In outdoors, I believe you can qualify for the NCAA regionals if you win an event in your conference and no one from your conference meets the qualifying standard. Not 100% sure on that.

Golf - top individual and top team automatically qualify for NCAA Regionals.

CatMom - you are presenting a good case for Bobcat fans to follow sports outside of football, basketball and on the diamond. These are afterall, the sports that really put you in position for winning the Commissioners Cup.

SOMBREROGUY wrote:
Biggest story of it all was Bobcats Win Ninth Straight Women's All-Sports Trophy


You are obviously mocking my remark...

The reason I said SLU winning the All-Men's was the biggest story is because all of the Texas schools have an unfair advantage as far as budgets. Budgets do make a difference - though TXST has not always capitalized on their monetary edge.

The Louisiana schools have been working with one hand tied behind their back for so long in comparison to their TX counterparts in the league and I believe fans of the Texas schools are rather blind to that notion (something I've probably realized more now that I live in Louisiana). To see SLU have the best results overall in men's sports (which cost the most money in order to perform well) is exceptional and good for them!

_________________
-The Terror-
Supporting the Bearkats since 1983
Image


Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 2457
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
TexasTerror wrote:
The reason I said SLU winning the All-Men's was the biggest story is because all of the Texas schools have an unfair advantage as far as budgets. Budgets do make a difference - though TXST has not always capitalized on their monetary edge.

The Louisiana schools have been working with one hand tied behind their back for so long in comparison to their TX counterparts in the league and I believe fans of the Texas schools are rather blind to that notion (something I've probably realized more now that I live in Louisiana). To see SLU have the best results overall in men's sports (which cost the most money in order to perform well) is exceptional and good for them!


Really, Southeastern Louisiana SHOULD win the All-Mens considering that they are the only school that competes in all the mens sports.


Tue May 19, 2009 9:03 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:01 am
Posts: 386
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
Who cares? Anything that equates a cross-country title with a football title isn't relevant.

_________________
http://www.bobcatsformikeleach.com/

"We're going to Katy!"

Image


Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 4125
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
sm_bobcat wrote:
Really, Southeastern Louisiana SHOULD win the All-Mens considering that they are the only school that competes in all the mens sports.


Not any more they don't - they are cutting men's tennis.

And per the article on their web site, "Southeastern’s sixth-place showing, the best of any SLC school in Louisiana for the third straight year, was its best finish ever and just two points out of fifth place."

As stated above (and ignored by fans of the Texas schools in the SLC), the Louisiana schools are working with one hand tied behind their back in the budget column and they really have to have the right people in place to even think about having the success that the big-budget Texas schools have...

_________________
-The Terror-
Supporting the Bearkats since 1983
Image


Tue May 19, 2009 10:32 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:12 pm
Posts: 975
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
jack wrote:
Who cares? Anything that equates a cross-country title with a football title isn't relevant.


Cross Country???

Is that what those 80lb guys running down Aquarena Springs wearing nothing but John Stockton wind shorts are doing????

_________________
"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan


Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 2457
Reply with quote
Post Re: Commissioner's Cup
TexasTerror wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:
Really, Southeastern Louisiana SHOULD win the All-Mens considering that they are the only school that competes in all the mens sports.


Not any more they don't - they are cutting men's tennis.

And per the article on their web site, "Southeastern’s sixth-place showing, the best of any SLC school in Louisiana for the third straight year, was its best finish ever and just two points out of fifth place."

As stated above (and ignored by fans of the Texas schools in the SLC), the Louisiana schools are working with one hand tied behind their back in the budget column and they really have to have the right people in place to even think about having the success that the big-budget Texas schools have...


But, this year, SLU won the All-Mens portion of the CC because of the fact that they participated in all sports. If you take our the points that SLU scored in mens tennis (since they are dropping it), they finish in 3rd place.


Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group