Baseball Remainder of the season 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Baseball Remainder of the season
Here is the way I see the remainder of the season. All year this team has been a hair short of the pitching and hitting being good at the same time. I like the trend that the pitching and hitting are coming around and I believe they are ready to make a run for the NCAAs. No, I am not crazy. Here is why: We have conference games with Louisiana and UTA left. We are tied with UTA so we control our own destiny there, Louisiana is ahead of us by 3 games, again we control our own destiny there. Little Rock is ahead by 3.5 games but they have Coastal this weekend. We win five of six and we could end up No 1 in the West. How is that possible you ask: The pitching and hitting come together at the same time. I know that hasn't happened yet, so how does that happen now.. The signs are there with both. That makes it a mental thing. Finals will be over and the boys can concentrate on baseball. They pull together in the dugout, players and coaches. Players trust the coaches, and coaches trust the players to play. Parents and fans stay out of the dugout till the season is done. Agree or Disagree, that is my humble opinion.

Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Baseball Remainder of the season
Your optimism is commendable, but it flies directly in the face of reality.

This team has only won 2 conference series all year, we just dropped a series to a Red Wolves club that hadn't won a conference series all year (til they met us). And we're a pathetic 10-20 in our last 30 games. As Billy Parcels once said, and I'm paraphrasing here: At some point, you are what your record says you are.

And our record says we're just not that good.

Wish I saw what you see, but my crack pipe's broken.

Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 am
Bobcat Wannabe

I assure you I am not on a cram pipe. Maybe the bias you have is blinding you from seeing what I see? Anyway everyone has their opinion After all that is what these sites are for isn’t it, opinions?

Mon May 07, 2018 10:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Don't misunderstand me, I have noooooo problem with your opinion, the expression of that opinion, or your right to express said opinion. Mine just happens to be different.

As to this "bias" you speak of, that's not really where my "take" is coming from. It's more from a place of: "I've seen this train wreck before, so I kinda know what to expect."

But by all means, you preach on brother . . .

Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I love the optimism from you--lord knows we need a little of that around here.

Unfortunately, the money is on Bobcat87. Many of us have followed this program for pushing two decades. There's a pattern to the Bobcats, and they've never really played above their record. For this season it seems we can pitch or we can hit, but never shall the two meet. This is why I question where you see the "signs for both" coming into alignment.

I want to qualify my statement as well: I think that alignment has gotten close a few times this season, but unfortunately Ty coached his way right out of it with some truly awful bullpen management.

Baseball is a wacky sport--teams and individual players can come out of nowhere, get hot and do the unexpected. I've seen this from Bobcat teams in the past, except in those cases you could sort of feel it on a simmer before it boiled (won a few more conference series, etc.). Last week's games, unfortunately, scream "head case" with a literal comedy of errors (on-field and coaching). It isn't finals. That is something ALL teams deal with at other schools as well and they seem to be doing fine. It is coaching & confidence. And while I don't like to poke directly at players, I think there is some "ability" question as well. There are a few that I would argue maybe don't belong on a D1 and perhaps even D2 collegiate baseball roster, though it may have to do with coaching player development.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon May 07, 2018 1:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I think your point about "... coaching player development." is spot on as it applies to this baseball squad. I believe that X made the point earlier that injuries were an issue last season, but has not really been the case this year.

At the same time, we're looking at a Bobcat club that has nearly all the pieces back from last year, yet is poised to finish in about the same place as last season (from a W/L perspective). IF players were being adequately developed, we should have seen some progression (from a W/L perspective) especially since injuries (w/exception of Fraze) were not really an issue. And it's not like our schedule is significantly different from last year.

But as you say, baseball IS a funny game.

I'd love to see us make a run, but the tea leaves I'm reading say it's just not in the cards . . . The psychotropic drugs say hell yeah! But the tea leaves, not so much.

Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Cram pipe.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:38 pm