Game Thread - @ No. 18 Texas - LHN 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - @ No. 18 Texas - LHN
What an absolute kick to the nuts.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Can't blame the bullpen as a whole for this one. The bullpen minus Theriot was good tonight. The moment was too big for our closer.

It's almost unfathomable how we lose sometimes. God hates the bobcats.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I really blame Ty for this one. The kid clearly had the deer in the headlights look and had no intention of throwing strikes. You have to pull him after the first couple of batters. I’m not a blame the coach kind of guy (see withers on the fb board) but come the fuck on.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The one defense Theriot could have is he threw 4 innings over the weekend in the GS series.

Jordan had a 1-2-3 inning in the 8th and this is easy to say in hindsight but we should probably have stuck with him on the 9th.

A closer has to consistently be in the strike zone and if Theriot can't do that he shouldn't be that guy. The other guy we've given save opps has shown he can't either unfortunately in Baird. Closer has been a weak spot all year we've been able to mask a bit but it blew up tonight in a big way.

Just an unbelievable loss. I had to restrain myself from tearing my living room to pieces.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
I really blame Ty for this one. The kid clearly had the deer in the headlights look and had no intention of throwing strikes. You have to pull him after the first couple of batters. I’m not a blame the coach kind of guy (see withers on the fb board) but come the fuck on.

You put your closer in for the 9th with a 4 run lead and you feel pretty certain you can shut the bullpen down. It's commonplace to tell your closer this is yours to win or lose.

1.5 batters in I'd have gotten Bosse up instead of 3-4 batters in though. I agree that it became pretty apparent he just didn't have it tonight.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It is extremely rare that I get pissed about a baseball loss but tonight did it for me. I know it wasn’t the whole pen tonight but watching the repeated meltdowns plus tonight did me in.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 pm
SuperCat

I blame Ty as well. As much as I hate to say it, this program needs some new blood. I really like Ty as a person and feel bad saying he needs to retire. X, I would have tore my living room apart if I was 20 years younger. I'm old enough now that I may actually hurt mysef if I throw too much of a fit. Not sure what else to say. I'm just so fucking tired of this crap.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
The one defense Theriot could have is he threw 4 innings over the weekend in the GS series.

Jordan had a 1-2-3 inning in the 8th and this is easy to say in hindsight but we should probably have stuck with him on the 9th.

A closer has to consistently be in the strike zone and if Theriot can't do that he shouldn't be that guy. The other guy we've given save opps has shown he can't either unfortunately in Baird. Closer has been a weak spot all year we've been able to mask a bit but it blew up tonight in a big way.

Just an unbelievable loss. I had to restrain myself from tearing my living room to pieces.

Yes, it's hindsight to say that Ty should have stuck with Jordan in the 9th . . He cruised through the 8th, so why pull him? Did he bring in Theriot to try and give his "closer" some confidence? Up 4, B 9th that seems plausible. But if that was Ty's thinking, where was the "hook" after he walked the first two batters? Where was the hook after the third guy drove in a run and cut the deficit to 3. The bases were loaded and there were no outs. It's not like Ty had been shy about making pitching changes during this game.

Yeah, gotta put this one on Ty. And as bad as I feel about the loss, I feel bad for Theriot. He shouldn't have been left in that position. Of course, that too is hindsight. Hope the kid's got a Corner's memory.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Didn't the kid from San Marcos who hit the grand slam do us in as well in the game earlier in San Marcos? Dude is a Bobcat killer.

Tue May 01, 2018 10:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

And as for coach, we absolutely need new blood in this program. However, no way Larry gets rid of him (hell he barely got rid of Nutt in basketball and Ty much more beloved).

Tue May 01, 2018 10:57 pm
SuperCat

How can we lose that game? Up by 4 in bottom of 9th, throw first batter more strikes. Maybe he hits a grounder for out #1. Then not so timid for next batters. Watching at my buddies with LHN, he said "snatched defeat from jaws of victory" which was right.

Tue May 01, 2018 11:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I can't figure out why Ty pulled an otherwise well-performing Jordan. I just don't see a compelling reason. It being non-conference and mid-week is not a sufficient reason, as another inning pitched wasn't going to ruin him.

I would like to thank Ty for letting me see something I've never seen in baseball: a walk-off grand slam. I feel like that, more than anything, demonstrates how cursed our athletic program is.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Ty needs to go about 5 years ago. I feel it can be good to lose these games because a win just ensures Ty will never leave. That said there is never pressure to get a new coach so it doesn't really matter. I just wish we'd move on and hire SHSUs coach.

Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 am
SuperCat

Some one needs to be held responsible for the pitching staff. I know the bottom line is on Ty, but if he has help in recruiting, training and utilizing the staff, it should be known.
Somebody keeps signing kids that are afraid to throw strikes. Somebody is teaching technique. Somebody is calling pitches. Somebody makes decisions about who to throw, and when.
If it is all on Ty, he either needs to delegate responsibility or needs to look at himself.
If it doesn't turn around soon, then a change needs to be made. You can't play top level college ball like this. Ty is a really good man, but he seems to me to have lost the fire in the belly to make the 'Cats winners again. Just listen to his after-game interviews, they are pitiful. Heard him say he doesn't have magic words to inspire the team. Well, find them!

I'm tired of all of the excuses.

Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 am
Bobcat Wannabe

This is my last trip to this board. I'm not a big contributor, but check in after games to see the vitriole. My son was a Texas State pitcher many, many years ago. Ty is responsible for the pitching staff - whether it was Matlock or Fikac or Messengale with the title - Ty chooses who starts, who gets loose and who comes in and when they come out. That is a fact. He has ruined countless good arms over the years - there are mechanical adjustments and then psychological adjustments that just don't work. I've said it before, but the kids in HS and the select coaches know that Texas State is not the place to send pitchers - even if one good one slips through and comes to TXST, they get burnt real fast.

Theriot has been nails for the past 2 years, so I hope he bounces back. Ty probably won't let him forget this as he might not trust him going forward.

Long story short, Ty really needs to retire and let this program that he built move on and move up.

Wed May 02, 2018 12:09 pm