Mid-week Game Thread - @ Baylor/Vs. UTSA 
SuperCat

Post Re: Mid-week Game Thread - @ Baylor/Vs. UTSA
I agree about the lineup. But, why do you have Newman batting anywhere near the middle of the lineup with that pitiful .157 BA? If he ever starts to hit with power or more consistency, then move him up.
Why do you stay with a pitcher that has walked the bases full?
I'd be Captain Hook--one walk and the bull pen would be ready, one more and OUT.
Heard a stat last night on one of the SEC ball games that 60% of lead-off walks come around to score.
We don't score enough to give away runs.
And the throwing errors are driving me more crazy.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Mid-week Game Thread - @ Baylor/Vs. UTSA
Newman's been batting 7th for most of the year.

Walks are down considerably both from last year and from early in the season. Still room for improvement, but it's been steadily improving.

Errors seem to rear their ugly head every few games. We look great for 4-5 straight games then just boot it around all day once every few weeks. Hubbard is our most error prone defender but you can't not play him. For every error he makes he also makes a dazzling play and his bat absolutely has to be in the everyday lineup.

I guess the reason I'm not as concerned about those things is we are getting better in those depts. Walking batters and error prone play are things that lost us a lot of games a year ago. We've improved in those categories to the point where if our offense was just as good as a year ago we'd probably be ten games above .500. My main concern is why the same guys are hitting worse than they were a year ago. You mentioned Newman's .157 avg. The guy hit 3rd all year last year and finished with a .296 average. Not sure how to explain a .139 drop and it's frustrating.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 pm